Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-10, 05:07 PM   #25
technoid

Default Re: Need Hard Drive Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Raid 1 or higher would solve any worries you have.
I'm planning to put together a small server for the closet and run RAID on it, so everything will be okay then. But that's a little bit in the future for now, I'm slow But I've got plenty of old parts to put one together with, just getting the time to build it.

In the mean time I just finished copying all of our current movies to it and will start using it now. If something looks flaky in the next week I'll contact superbizz.com for an RMA.
Old 10-03-10, 05:24 PM   #26
bacon12

For storage of data I want to keep no matter what, I don't care if its enterprise class drives, I will have redundancy.

Only way to be sure. Because sh!t happens
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-10, 06:53 AM   #27
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
For storage of data I want to keep no matter what, I don't care if its enterprise class drives, I will have redundancy.

Only way to be sure. Because sh!t happens
Yes Sir... Stuff does happen. I had a drive go out once, but luckly I didn't loose anything important. But it did teach me a lesson. I have 5 USB drives sitting on my desk right now with copies of stuff I don't want to loose. But these new really large drives scare me since they hold so much data. What do you think about those small HP Home Servers?

HP MediaSmart EX495

OR

HP MediaSmart EX490

I'm not sure if something like that is what I want or just put together a small windows box with the spare parts I already have. Of course the spare parts idea is cheaper, but not as much as I wish it would be since I need a small monitor for it in the closet and I don't have one now.
Old 10-18-10, 07:20 PM   #28
john19055

I would go with a Samsung or WD,
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 12:32 PM   #29
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Yes Sir... Stuff does happen. I had a drive go out once, but luckly I didn't loose anything important. But it did teach me a lesson. I have 5 USB drives sitting on my desk right now with copies of stuff I don't want to loose. But these new really large drives scare me since they hold so much data. What do you think about those small HP Home Servers?

HP MediaSmart EX495

OR

HP MediaSmart EX490

I'm not sure if something like that is what I want or just put together a small windows box with the spare parts I already have. Of course the spare parts idea is cheaper, but not as much as I wish it would be since I need a small monitor for it in the closet and I don't have one now.
Sorry just saw your post when someone bumped the thread. I think they are ok, I never had one, but I am currently running a RC of WHS2 which should be released very soon.

You can take spare parts and make a decent server yourself.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote