Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-21-09, 10:00 AM   #1
Kalom

Default Dual Desktop - Wrong window maximizing size on TV

Hello,

I have a Dual Desktop with separate X Screens on Kubuntu. I set it up with nvidia-settings. One screen is a LCD 19" LG monitor, and the other one is a TV (Guess what for )

The monitor works just great on its 1280x1024 res.
The TV looks fine on its 640x480 res.

The problem comes when I open a window on the TV, be it browser, media player or whatever. It opens out of the screen (If I minimize/restore it, I can see it going to the right side). And If I maximize it, half of the window is out of the screen.

Any Idea?

Thanks
Kalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-09, 11:16 AM   #2
Kalom

Default Re: Dual Desktop - Wrong window maximizing size on TV

Update:

the vertical size is ok.
The problem is the horizontal size of the windows. The maximize to the horizontal size of the monitor screen.

Which means:
-if both screens are 1024x768, the windows maximize (and open) just fine.
-if I try to put the monitor to 1280x1024 (which is just perfect for me on a 19" LCD), the windows open almost out of the screen, and maximize out too.
-if you add the fact that, to be able to read some text (i.e. name of the file you are opening), I need the TV to be on 640x480 or lower...
Kalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 01:22 PM   #3
xmrbig

Default Re: Dual Desktop - Wrong window maximizing size on TV

Unfortunately I can't help as I am having a similar problem.

I have a Geforce 9400 series mGPU, running dual head (separate X screens - Sony LCD TV @1368x720 and Dell E228WFP @1680x1050) with the 180.22 driver.

When experimenting with different primary monitor resolutions & found that the second monitor (Sony TV) mistakenly uses the primary monitor resolution when maximizing certain program windows - I have the problem running vlc, firefox, and konqueror for instance, but not with MythTv. The desktop itself is perfectly scaled on both screens.

I currently have this setup working perfectly with the same OS (PClinuxOs 2009) on my old pentium 4 with FX 5200 card and the 1.0-977 driver.

Interestingly, when I run compiz-fusion the problem does not occur - all applications scale to the correct resolution on the second screen. The problem is that compiz-fusion is not stable & I get hard locks, e.g. every time I try to type a web address into firefox and the drop down list of previously visited sites appears.

So I'm in a bit of a catch 22 at the moment.

I've attached my xorg.conf in hopes someone more knowledgeable than I can provide me some insight.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.txt (1.1 KB, 113 views)
xmrbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-10, 01:47 AM   #4
yuliu616

Default Re: Dual Monitors over Ubuntu 10.10- Wrong window maximizing size

I have similar problem. My case is, I have 2 monitors, left one is smaller (1280x1024), and the right one is bigger (1920x1200). I set up it as 2 X-screen. When I maximize windows in the left monitor, it will exceed the edge and across to the right monitor. But, when I swap their location (make the 1920x1200 as left and 1280x1024 as right), this problem will not appear. I guess it is a incorrect calculation of screen size.

Still waiting for bug fix.
yuliu616 is offline   Reply With Quote