Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-10, 05:42 PM   #1
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Question Is the GPU Industry much more an Asian business model than US?

Are there enough GPU sales in Asia that make cause for NVIDIA and ATI to base their marketing methodologies at their bases on more Asian-style business practices?

I can't be sure of this, but what if NVIDIA and AMD were run more like American companies? Would product lineups be different? Would strategies be different? More or less deceptive practices/naming changes etc?

And why the hell does Asia get GPU news first?

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 06:46 PM   #2
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Default Re: Is the GPU Industry much more an Asian business model than US?

Ok, first of all... how is a company supposed to be run in the American fashion?

I mean... I'm spanish, so I don't get your view on this... I know a bit of how the asian business model works (as some of the companies I worked for in the past had contracts and sub-contracts with japanese companies), so... how does it work?
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-10, 07:25 PM   #3
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: Is the GPU Industry much more an Asian business model than US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
Are there enough GPU sales in Asia that make cause for NVIDIA and ATI to base their marketing methodologies at their bases on more Asian-style business practices?

I can't be sure of this, but what if NVIDIA and AMD were run more like American companies? Would product lineups be different? Would strategies be different? More or less deceptive practices/naming changes etc?

And why the hell does Asia get GPU news first?
If I had to guess, I'd say the Asian market for GPU's is pretty good. Most of the stuff we see early leaks of comes out of either Japan or China, so maybe they get "preview" cards for future releases, and they sometimes publish their findings before NDA is lifted. However, since the GPU companies speak english as their first language, Nvidia and AMD would be far quicker to catch any breaks in the NDA here than they would with their Asian partners. Besides, international leaks in benchmarks build tons of hype for everyone else if they're good products. You can't buy that sort of publicity (A la Nvidia touting Fermi or the FX 5800)

It's hard to say, but AMD and Nvidia has huge contracts all over the world, just as Microsoft, Intel, and AMD's CPU business does. America is not the only place that needs computer parts.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU