Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-02-10, 08:21 PM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

The first HTML5 conformance test has been released today and Microsoft's Internet Explorer Platform Preview 6 has taken the top spot. Although HTML5 still isn't finalized, it's nice to see Microsoft make such a drastic change in the past few months.

Internet Explorer Platform Preview 6, which is more or less Internet Explorer 9 without the UI, isn't out of beta yet and is already knocking down the competition. Google Chrome 7.0.517.41 beta came in a close second, with Firefox 4 beta 6, Opera 10.60 and Safari 5.0 falling far behind.

The W3C tests performed only tested attributes, audio, canvas, getElementsByClassName, foreigncontent, video and xhtml5. Other tests like CSS3 and many other non-HTML5 related tests were not included in the report. You can see the full report on W3C's website here.

Microsoft is expected to release Internet Explorer 9 Release Candidate (RC) within the next few months, bypassing the beta 2 release.

http://www.neowin.net/news/internet-...nformance-test
Old 11-03-10, 12:57 AM   #2
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

I'm sure it will still manage to crash, hang, and not work just as often as its predecessors.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 05:12 AM   #3
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Well that's good as IE has been pretty stable since 8 beta.

Still lacks spell check though.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 08:25 AM   #4
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
I'm sure it will still manage to crash, hang, and not work just as often as its predecessors.
While that's just slightly true (I got 2 crashes out of 120+ runs so far), it's almost a thing of the past. I don't have the platform preview 6 but the beta installed (and currently posting from it) and I have to say I'm very very very impressed, so impressed I have been a mozilla preacher all this years and I'm changing my views very fast on this one...

At least for this version (you, unfortunately, never know with Microsoft...) they're kind-of making amend for all the things they have been missing and they're even showing us they can really be on top if they really want.

Their anti-popup is slightly better than the one in Firefox, now it has a download manager, hardware accelerated assets... Ok, I'll stop before I look like a Microsoft representative hahaha but anyway... in MY opinion... it's going to take the crown Firefox had for quite a long time and... against WebKit-powered software (ala Safari, Chrome, Midori, Epiphany, etc...)? Hmmm not sure in that sense, I think that will be IE9's real competitor.
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 12:33 PM   #5
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Working for an ISP, I get broken IE's all the time, its generally one of the more common issues we get, next to router malfunctions.

Customer can ping by domain --> load IE --> infinite load --> reset IE --> working
Customer can ping by domain --> load IE --> nothing / page cannot be displayed --> reset IE --> working
Customer can ping by domain --> load IE --> "Internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close --> reset IE --> either it works or we give them the number to MS

Or these are fun...

Customer gets a new modem and calls it in to get it provisioned --> Computer is directly connected to modem and the modem is not registered --> Customer gets a certain IP address when the modem isnt provisioned --> We provision the modem and the modem reboots --> Customer gets a new IP address --> now for the fun part -->
XP or 7 (good to go) / Vista (continue) --> Customer can ping by domain --> Load IE --> nothing --> reset IE --> nothing --> reboot --> all of a sudden its fine again.

Hell, even at work we have weird issues with it, things like certain sites stop loading if they error out, and you have to kill all the processes to get it back, random crashing when you move a window too much while a page is loading.

My issue with IE is because its so prone to failure unlike other browsers - and it makes my job needlessly difficult. I don't see that changing anytime soon, even with all the shiny coolness of IE9.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Old 11-03-10, 12:41 PM   #6
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

On a side note, I generally never have problems with IE at home (mostly b/c I never use it) - but I do at work, just like everyone else and 80% of our work is done inside the browser, which has to be IE, so its frustrating as hell at times.

Quote:
Old 11-03-10, 01:14 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Well that's good as IE has been pretty stable since 8 beta.

Still lacks spell check though.
works great
http://www.iespell.com/
Old 11-03-10, 01:17 PM   #8
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Working for an ISP, I get broken IE's all the time, its generally one of the more common issues we get, next to router malfunctions.

Customer
thats where i stopped, you can't say that browser is bad because customers are stupid enough to break it.

number one issue when it comes to computers are the users. and IE being the default on PC it always gets hit the hardest with all the **** that customers installs.

If other browser was the default on all the PCs, then that other browser would be the one that you fix the most.

Old 11-03-10, 01:17 PM   #9
frenchy2k1

MS has the size and resources to create a great browser.
Anyone remembers IE4? It took the crown from Netscape as much because of their bundling as the quality. They were really faster/nicer then the competition. Of course, this is when they started adding their own extensions and splitting away from the standard, just because they could and it would impede the competition...
Old 11-03-10, 02:14 PM   #10
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
thats where i stopped, you can't say that browser is bad because customers are stupid enough to break it.

number one issue when it comes to computers are the users. and IE being the default on PC it always gets hit the hardest with all the **** that customers installs.
If FF or Chrome were default on the OS - would they have the same issues? Doubtful.

Also, Safari doesn't have this issue at all - if they are online, it works. Granted, we don't get as many Mac calls for connectivity as we do with pc's, but the percentage difference is just way too high.

I'd say somewhere between 70% of problems that narrow down to software only goes straight to IE alone. The rest are generally security software or other software related (OS/drivers/etc) problems.

I take about 70-80 calls a day for HSI - take away the password resets, email issues, web-site navigation (ISP site), routers/modems, bad IP's (169, 0.0.0.0, etc.), account suspensions, AUP violations, configuring email clients, connection settings, and your left with resetting IE which is what fixes the problem 90% of the time - its sad.

Most of us techies who know our way around the OS know what to avoid and how to fix problems, so its a non-issue in our eyes, and the only semantics we have with browsers are compatibility, standards-conformance, and performance. The problem is the MS should understand that most of their IE userbase are complete idiots when its comes to technology, and put the safeguards where necessary. But they dont.

Same thing where I work. I keep 2-3 IE windows open at any given time. 1 is dedicated to a single app, and the other 2 are for various resources that we use throughout the day.

On a good day, IE will only crash 2 or 3 times. Some sites will mysteriously stop loading. If I just close that tab and reopen, no deal. I have kill all the open windows, and reopen everything just to get that one page to load again.

Recently, I changed things a bit. I decided to download a portable version of Chrome. So I now load everything in there, Chrome never crashes and those problems I had with those same sites, do not exist in Chrome. Now I only use IE for 1 thing, and that is for the program that requires IE - and it still manages to freeze up randomly several times a day.

All in all, it least they are making strides to make IE more standards conformant, no complaints there. Hardware acceleration, great! Now all they need to do is make a rock solid browser, less clunky, and an actual configurable interface!

Quote:
Old 11-03-10, 03:07 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

ie still has about 70% market share, and they are not only making "strides" IE9 beta is most standard complaint browser according to W3C.

i use IE as my standard browser and I never have it crash.

those people that figure out that you can even install other browser already know how to fix basic issues.
Old 11-03-10, 03:34 PM   #12
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
ie still has about 70% market share, and they are not only making "strides" IE9 beta is most standard complaint browser according to W3C.
Took them 15 years to do it though to make IE use web standards and only because other web browsers are eating into it's share like crazy. IE will keep losing share because it's not a crossplaform browser, which helps as other platforms get more popular.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote