Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-10, 05:07 PM   #13
LydianKnight
Registered Knight
 
LydianKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Málaga, Spain
Posts: 977
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Took them 15 years to do it though to make IE use web standards and only because other web browsers are eating into it's share like crazy. IE will keep losing share because it's not a crossplaform browser, which helps as other platforms get more popular.
They don't really need to make Internet Explorer go the cross-platform way, why should they? To face Apple? Linux? Android?? I'm a natural supporter for UNIX/Linux but even myself have to admit the limits of its adoption, take aside the other platforms...

We won't be seeing smartphones taking away what belongs to the desktop realm... for now, at least. Apple? They have some nice products, although more in the 'niche' class and about Linux... you know every year is the 'year of the Linux desktop' with a plethora of improvements like refined, improved and more functional versions of (for example) xserver, compiz, GNOME, KDE, SDL, Cairo, Wine, etc, etc. And, of course, Firefox/XULRunner, WebKit.

Even if Microsoft decided to make a Linux version of it, it would face the same fate that NEROLinux faced in its day... Sad (or not) but true.

So... nah (but it's my opinion, of course, just that) :P
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 11:19 PM   #14
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!
 
t3hl33td4rg0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kent, OH
Posts: 2,142
Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
ie still has about 70% market share
Windows + Shovelware + Ignorance = 70% market share
__________________


Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-10, 11:36 PM   #15
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

+ no need for specialized browser
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 12:12 AM   #16
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!
 
t3hl33td4rg0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kent, OH
Posts: 2,142
Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

Browsers are fairly general purpose AFAIK.

Extensions and add-ons are specialized.
__________________


Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 07:57 AM   #17
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
They don't really need to make Internet Explorer go the cross-platform way, why should they? To face Apple? Linux? Android?? I'm a natural supporter for UNIX/Linux but even myself have to admit the limits of its adoption, take aside the other platforms...

We won't be seeing smartphones taking away what belongs to the desktop realm... for now, at least. Apple? They have some nice products, although more in the 'niche' class and about Linux... you know every year is the 'year of the Linux desktop' with a plethora of improvements like refined, improved and more functional versions of (for example) xserver, compiz, GNOME, KDE, SDL, Cairo, Wine, etc, etc. And, of course, Firefox/XULRunner, WebKit.

Even if Microsoft decided to make a Linux version of it, it would face the same fate that NEROLinux faced in its day... Sad (or not) but true.

So... nah (but it's my opinion, of course, just that) :P
Microsoft need to make a crossplatform browser at some point and it shouldn't be IE because it's share is going down very quickly. Multiplatform is where it's at and they cannot rely on their monopoly for much longer.

I'm not sure why you're going on about Linux because it's irrelevant here, probably because you've got too defensive.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 09:00 AM   #18
LydianKnight
Registered Knight
 
LydianKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Málaga, Spain
Posts: 977
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Microsoft need to make a crossplatform browser at some point and it shouldn't be IE because it's share is going down very quickly. Multiplatform is where it's at and they cannot rely on their monopoly for much longer.

I'm not sure why you're going on about Linux because it's irrelevant here, probably because you've got too defensive.
No, no, I'm sorry if my post sounded a bit on the defensive side, maybe I should have explained myself better... let's try again haha :P

What I mean is, they don't really need it... I mean... why? You say they share is going down very quickly but that's because the other browser/engines are already there for some time getting that share.

Of course, IE9 being released doesn't mean Microsoft is gonna re-gain that share in a matter of couple of days... Could they re-gain it? Of course... Will they? Only time will tell (my guess is more like 'not fully' but close).

My comment about Linux was kind of incomplete and redundant at the same time... what I meant was... not any Linux user will (probably) want IE, same goes for Apple users, and about smartphone users, if it's on a Windows Mobile-based phone, I guess they get some form of an embedded IE, if it's Android... don't know what runs on it, WebKit maybe? (I can't really imagine something like XULRunner/Firefox running on it, would be strange, although I guess not completely impossible).

So, all in all... they don't really need to take any cross-platform step, Microsoft is not interested in practically anything outside the PC world and about other OSes... nah, it's not
gonna happen.

Anyway... why do you think they need to go cross-platform? What would be the benefit for them? (maybe I'm skipping something so I'm curious) :P
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 09:28 AM   #19
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

The reason why they need a crossplatform browser is because web application are becoming more the thing to use. Microsoft only put their eggs in one basket(as the saying goes) because they have a monopoly on the market, but in regard to browser share, that's being eaten away.

As new platforms get popular, you need to make software for them, just like Google and Mozilla have done. All Microsoft can do is gain back Windows users, rather than an extra 10% plus the other platforms have and that's not even including the mobile market.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 11:42 AM   #20
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!
 
t3hl33td4rg0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kent, OH
Posts: 2,142
Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

From W3C:

Quote:
The HTML5 Test suite is still being developed. The number of tests and the results on these tests will change.

The results in this document may be updated, replaced or obsoleted by others documents at any time.

It is inappropriate to cite those results as other than work in progress and unstable.
__________________


Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-10, 01:07 PM   #21
LydianKnight
Registered Knight
 
LydianKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Málaga, Spain
Posts: 977
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W
The reason why they need a crossplatform browser is because web application are becoming more the thing to use.
You say that like it wasn't capable of running web applications... and that's not true (unless we're talking about different contexts), from Google Apps to specific web applications like Pixlr (image editing), spreadsheets, project planners, things like that... I mean, I see your point (or at least I think I see it) but I don't see any showstopper for IE in this sense.

If you're talking about being part of the 'mobile' office many companies want to promote in the near future, ok... but Internet Explorer is not designed with the business model in mind, not in THAT sense, at least... looks more like being designed as a browser & media & social (as in social networking, social interaction, community events and so on...) experience (hence some concepts like the hardware acceleration, the focus on HTML5, and some other things).

At least... I think it's more like that, so as I told you... I don't think they need to comply with that.
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 03:32 PM   #22
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

Of course IE can run web applications but IE only runs on one platform, Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Opera run on multiple platforms, so they have a better chance of getting more share and growing. Where exactly can IE grow? Well, it's not growing on it's own platform never mind any other.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 03:35 PM   #23
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,869
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
They don't really need to make Internet Explorer go the cross-platform way, why should they? To face Apple? Linux? Android?? I'm a natural supporter for UNIX/Linux but even myself have to admit the limits of its adoption, take aside the other platforms...
This. Linux is great for server use or forensic/data manipulation, but it makes for a horrible desktop OS. There never will be a year of linux on the desktop. Android may get somewhere, but no time soon, right now and for the foreseeable future it's only for mobile devices.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-10, 03:52 PM   #24
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Internet Explorer 9 tops first HTML5 conformance test

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
This. Linux is great for server use or forensic/data manipulation, but it makes for a horrible desktop OS. There never will be a year of linux on the desktop. Android may get somewhere, but no time soon, right now and for the foreseeable future it's only for mobile devices.
Not that that's anything to do with the topic at hand but millions of people uses Linux as their desktop. The whole "year of the Linux desktop" thing is just made up and actually means nothing.

I wasn't the one who brought up Linux, people seem to assume that just because I primary use it, then becomes part of the topic.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.