Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-10, 07:40 AM   #1
News

Post Trying the Game Call of Duty: Black Ops in Stereoscopic 3D Mode‚?¶

The game Call of Duty: BlackOps is now officially released and since it is a stereo 3D ready game, meaning that it should not only be a 3D Vision Ready for the PC, but also has stereo 3D support in the versions made for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles. So what I did was to do a quick test of the game on all currently available stereo 3D solutions for the PC, because I do not have any of the two consoles to try it on, but if you do you are welcome to share your experience with the native stereo 3D support on those consoles‚?¶

Starting with 3D Vision, Call of Duty: Black Ops works great in stereo 3D mode, just make sure that you have the latest drivers installed that do come with a 3D Vision profile for the game. That however is to be expected, considering the game was announced to be 3D Vision ready, although in the profile it is rated as Excellent. However running the game in stereo 3D mode with 3DTV Play on a 3D HDTV has revealed a strange issue that you can see on the screenshot above, when taking aim trough the iron sight or the scope of the gun the lower half of the screen becomes blurred. That issue has been reported and Nvidia will hopefully soon fix the problem, but before that happens you better stick to playing the game with 3D Vision on a 3D LCD monitor.

Call of Duty: Black Ops, like the other 3D Vision-ready games also has the convergence level preset by the developer, apparently to the best level they've decided to stick with, but some people do want to be able to adjust the convergence to their own liking and not just the depth level. However the user Arioch over at the Nvidia forums has found out a way to overcome this potential problem and again be able to tweak the convergence level. In order to do that you will need to open the 'config.cfg' file inside the player folder in the game directory under Steam ('\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players\'). Look for the setting 'seta r_use_driver_convergence' and change the default value from '0‚?≥ to '1‚?≥.

I've also decided to test Call of Duty: Black Ops on the HP Envy 17 3D laptop that uses AMD's stereoscopic 3D solution along with a pair of shutter glasses to see how well the game runs there. Of course I tried with both the iZ3D Driver and the TriDef 3D software to see the level of compatibility offered by both solutions with the same hardware. The iZ3D driver ran the game without problems, although I've noticed that there are some issues with the stereoscopic 3D rendering of the game ' the shadows were rendered incorrectly, the normal crosshair and text markers were rendered in 2D making them appear on screen depth, which makes the game uncomfortable to be played in its full glory in S3D mode. The result with iZ3D was worse, as running the game with a default profile I was able to get only to the menu, which was rendered well in stereo 3D, however when starting the game all I got was a blank screen. Also trying with both solutions to play the game on a 3D HDTV resulted in getting only blank screens. So apparently some work needs to be done here to fix and improve S3D support too.

Related posts you might be interested in:

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote