Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-10-10, 08:01 AM   #1
taccoboss

Default There is no reason not to better support Ubuntu

Only just over a year there have been 150 million downloads ( http://spreadubuntu.org/en ) and the figure is growing by 500 000 units a day. Linux users demand more support from Nvidia in all its features. If you are not able to release drivers that keep pace with the times, please provide the sources. Thank you very much.
taccoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 08:15 AM   #2
brucecadieux

Default Re: There is no reason not to better support Ubuntu

What problem does ubuntu have with drivers now?

They work perfectly for me on 4 different computers all with different chip sets and hardware running openSUSE.

Nvidia supports "Linux", and does so pretty damn well. Can't you sudo apt get something? That will apt get another thing.............

Expecting Nvidia to make a different driver for each and every distribution is insanity, thus their is a unified driver that works extremely well provided the distribution doesn't do "strange things".
brucecadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 08:28 AM   #3
gradinaruvasile

I dont know what planet are you from. Nvidia has the best drivers to date. I use Ubuntu since 7.10 (and until 9.10) and never had problems with nvidia cards (i use only nvidia cards in all my computers).
But i use the nvidia provided installation script i never relied on the activate driver stuff that sometimes worked sometimes not.

Now i use Debian and had no problems (0 gdm crashes, 0 black screen on startup, the overall system stability is better even than in Windows).

And if you take a bit of your time and look around, you will see that nvidia suports the latest prerelease x server with all 3 tiers of its drivers. No other driver can come close to its performance/stability (fglrx is gaining but inches as a snail). Dont even mention the OSS drivers as far as performance and stability is concerned.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 08:47 AM   #4
taccoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
I dont know what planet are you from. Nvidia has the best drivers to date. I use Ubuntu since 7.10 (and until 9.10) and never had problems with nvidia cards (i use only nvidia cards in all my computers).
But i use the nvidia provided installation script i never relied on the activate driver stuff that sometimes worked sometimes not.

Now i use Debian and had no problems (0 gdm crashes, 0 black screen on startup, the overall system stability is better even than in Windows).

And if you take a bit of your time and look around, you will see that nvidia suports the latest prerelease x server with all 3 tiers of its drivers. No other driver can come close to its performance/stability (fglrx is gaining but inches as a snail). Dont even mention the OSS drivers as far as performance and stability is concerned.
I know that Nvidia supports Linux better than others, but the problem is that Linux is evolving and that Nvidia is unable or unwilling to support developments such kms or the next graphics server in phase of development (Wayland). For these reasons I think that Nvidia is not doing enough and that Linux users should expect more. Linux can not wait for the development time required for drivers that need extremely difficult methods such as reverse engineering. We need more attention.
taccoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 09:19 AM   #5
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taccoboss View Post
I know that Nvidia supports Linux better than others, but the problem is that Linux is evolving and that Nvidia is unable or unwilling to support developments such kms or the next graphics server in phase of development (Wayland).
and you don't post in the dedicated Wayland thread: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=156833&page=3 because?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 09:48 AM   #6
thecapsaicinkid

The driver's themselves seem fine, the way Ubuntu handles their installation seems quite error prone to me. Whether that's actually nvidia's fault or not I do not know.

The 'Restricted Drivers' manager doesn't seem to work in a way I would expect. Un-activating an active nvidia driver just left my machine in an unbootable state.

I recently upgraded my nvidia card so to start 'afresh' I did;

Code:
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
rm ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
At this point the restricted drivers manager was empty, I thought the whole point was to show drivers you can use and not just ones in use??

Next..
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo nvidia-xconfig
This installed the driver and created a new basic xorg.conf.
thecapsaicinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 10:08 AM   #7
InternalKernel

It would be beneficial for all distributions of Linux if Nvidia where to open source their drivers - or at the very least... how about some cooperation with open source development? The current status quo is to develop the Nouveau driver - a replacement to Nvidia's driver.

Don't get me wrong... I just purchased a new laptop, and I made sure it had an Nvidia GPU. But I can see that changing over the next couple of years. ATI has already made a dedicated effort to working with open source developers. IMHO, that's a result of ATI recognizing the market potential in Linux. For Nvidia to overlook that is... well, plain stupid.

I think the point of this thread is to say... if you're not going to actively support new features such as KMS and whatever may be coming down the pipe - then help the people that are willing to develop it.
InternalKernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 10:57 AM   #8
artem

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternalKernel View Post
IMHO, that's a result of ATI recognizing the market potential in Linux. For Nvidia to overlook that is... well, plain stupid.
You don't see the true motives behind ATI actions.

They release specs not because they are interested in open source or they are willing to help Linux, they do it because their proprietary drivers are awful and they don't have enough manpower to release drivers for their old GPUs (because there are no programmers who still remember the internals of long abandoned hardware) or keep pace with new X.org releases.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-10, 11:13 AM   #9
NvFuchs
Registered Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapsaicinkid View Post
The driver's themselves seem fine, the way Ubuntu handles their installation seems quite error prone to me. Whether that's actually nvidia's fault or not I do not know.
It is not. I am using here, at work and at the university a wide variety of Linux distributions, plus I am one of the supporters in an official Ubuntu LoCo. These problems are ubuntu-specific, and I can understand why nvidia does not directly support specific distributions.

Quote:
The 'Restricted Drivers' manager doesn't seem to work in a way I would expect. Un-activating an active nvidia driver just left my machine in an unbootable state.

I recently upgraded my nvidia card so to start 'afresh' I did;

Code:
rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
rm ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
At this point the restricted drivers manager was empty, I thought the whole point was to show drivers you can use and not just ones in use??

Next..
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo nvidia-xconfig
This installed the driver and created a new basic xorg.conf.
Please report a bug at launchpad, this is all Ubuntu specific.

Fuchs
NvFuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 12:45 PM   #10
InternalKernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
They release specs not because they are interested in open source or they are willing to help Linux, they do it because their proprietary drivers are awful and they don't have enough manpower to release drivers for their old GPUs (because there are no programmers who still remember the internals of long abandoned hardware) or keep pace with new X.org releases.
But... that's my point. There's no need to reinvent the wheel here. ATI and Nvidia have access to really talented people in the Open Source community that would make these drivers work. ATI has chosen to support them instead of pouring money into a proprietary development.

For the record, my position is distribution agnostic. I'm not asking Nvidia to care about one particular distro over the rest. Support the kernel - support the community...
InternalKernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 12:59 PM   #11
luother

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
You don't see the true motives behind ATI actions.

results count.
Old 11-10-10, 04:11 PM   #12
gradinaruvasile

Yes, they count. Nvidia can support all of their hardware, old and new... And have the most stable and featured drivers, open source or not.
Seriously, if you had an Ati card that is supported by fglrx, you would use the opensource driver just because it is opensource and despite the fact that the power saving is not working properly (overheating laptops etc) and you couldnt run tons of opengl apps (most of these problems are solved by installing fglrx)?
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote