once is compatible with PC, i'm sure Japs will figure out something
Old 11-05-10, 01:31 PM   #14
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Anyone get a Kinect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
You think those horny Japs are waiting for it to be compatible? I am sure they already have about a dozen cat sex games in the works as we speak.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 01:57 PM   #15
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
There's even an award to get it working for the PC, the first gets $2000.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 09:26 PM   #16
betterdan

Well I showed my wife some videos of it this morning and then she wanted one.
I looked online and of course it is out of stock everywhere. I decided to call a few Gamestops and they say they don't have any and it may be a month or more before they get any. We were going to the movies this morning at the mall so I decided to call the Gamestop at the mall and holy crap they actually had 2 for sale still. I told him to hold one and we would be right over.
We snagged it along with Kinectamals (mainly for my grand daughters but my wife wanted it too), and Uncaged Fighters.

The Kinect itself works pretty well but the thing I don't like or wish was different is that you can't navigate the whole XBOX menu system (to be fair I looked back at the videos of it and yea it doesn't show anyone doing that so my fault). You can go to the Kinect Hub then you are able to navigate by voice or hand. There are limited things you can do inside the Kinect Hub and Netflix isn't there which bugs me as I wanted that so we could watch Netflix without using the controller. I did look back at some videos on the XBOX showing the Kinect in action and they showed Netflix in the Kinect Hub Maybe it will get an update or something. The voice recognition works well and the body movement seems to work pretty well too. We had a little trouble with it recognizing who we were but once we turned on more light in the room it got better, still not perfect though.

It came with an Adventure game and it is actually pretty fun and responsive. It was funny as hell that it took pics of you while playing the games then shows you the pics at the end and saves them so you can upload them or look at them some other time. I am going to threaten my wife to post them to Facebook. After playing it a bit it then said there was an update and made me download it, no idea what the download was.

The Kinectamals game was cute as hell and I know my grand daughters will love it. You even get to steer a little remote control car (which was pretty hard steering it I have to say) and ram your pet Lots of things to do with the animal you choose and you even pet it and clean it. My wife was hilarious talking to the damn thing and moving her hands like she was really petting it.

The fighting game wore my ass out! I was fighting those creeps like Oprah fights her way to the front of the line at Popeyes. It seemed not to be quite as responsive I guess from me moving quick like Chuck Norris or something but I would throw a punch then kick and a lot of times it wouldn't register the second move if I did it too quick after the first one.

Messed with Video Kinect a bit and connected to someone that doesn't own a Kinect. He sid he saw and heard me (he didn't have his mic hooked up). In the preview window of yourself the video isn't the smoothest and you get ghost effect which in the videos of Kinect they have shown they didn't show any evidence of that so kinda disappointed.

Anyways that's my review after spending a few hours with it. I think it is definately better than the crappy Wii we used to have.
Old 11-05-10, 09:27 PM   #17
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

you are the most badass, hog-ridin', kinect playin' whoopie cushion i know, better.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 10:06 PM   #18
betterdan

Thanks Bob. I think I'll name my pet leopard after you in the game.
Old 11-09-10, 10:25 PM   #19
Greg

Thanks for the review betterdan. I hope a few other people post their experience.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 01:31 AM   #20
Lyme

My older sister and her husband flew in today to go on a birthday vacation for her. They have been looking at getting a wii for "interactive games", so I showed them the Kinect (Dance Central, Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures). They started playing and played for quite a few hours loving it. The Kinect does well what it was designed to do, catering to non-gamers. I expect after their vacation they will look into picking one up.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-10, 08:15 AM   #21
betterdan

I moved the speaker off of the top of our tv and centered the Kinect up on top then reran the calibration. It seems to have gotten a little better at movement detection.
Also I have ran through the kinect profile detection (I forget the name of it but it is where it detects individuals) a few more times for myself and it is pretty good at detecting me as long as there is enough light (we usually don't have much light in the room). It still is having some problem recognzing my wife so maybe she needs to run through the profile detection a few more times. It even says to do it a few times at different times of day, because of the lighting, to help it work better.
When my grand daughters were over the 5 year old tried to go through the detection and it wouldn't recognize her at the end. She got frustrated and gave up. It still lets you play the games it just says it doesn't recognize who it is.
Old 11-10-10, 12:57 PM   #22
newparad1gm

Looks like someone came up with a Kinect open source driver for Linux.

Here's the link if the embed doesn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKhW-cvpkks

If they can make a Windows driver and get some games compatible with it, TrackIR style, I might pick one up. Unless if MS brings down the banhammer.
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-10, 01:09 PM   #23
Vardant

There's not much they can do at this point. Only try to block it with newer HW revision. Once you buy it, it's yours and writing your own driver is not illegal.

This might actually convince me to buy it in the future, if they can come up with some cool stuff for the PC.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-10, 03:47 AM   #24
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Kinect arrived few days ago with Your Shape Fitness Evolved. Setting Kinect up was pretty easy and made sure I had enough space for Kinect. I tried few mini games from Kinect Adventure and found them surprising fun. I enjoyed it very much then played Your Shape. That workout game do put you to work and I'm impressed how responsive it was. I didn't put much time with Kinect because I have homework to do.

This weekend I plan to play more with Kinect but I can tell you, Kinect has exceeded my expectations. I thought it's going to be laggy, glitchy or doesn't work with certain clothes you wear, etc. Kinect IS smart, it does what it's supposed to do, and works in the dark. (!!) The lag isn't an issue, you may experience a very little lag but it felt next to nothing and very responsive. Too bad Netflix isn't Kinect-ready but I'm sure it'll come out shortly before holiday season. I'm very excited to see what developers can do with Kinect technology.

I'm very pleased with it.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote