Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-10, 05:15 PM   #1
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Talking Fancy some good ol' isometrical-style fun for a change? ;)

I don't know if you know this game (I would like to think it's a yes, but anyway...).

It's in the same spirit as older games in the 8-bit era like... Knight Lore, Nightshade (more or less), Gunfright, The Great Escape and, of course, Batman!

No 3D, no textures, not even a trace of things like Gouraud/Phong shading or whatever, just pure and absolute fun (if you're up for this kind of games), so here I present you with...

Head Over Heels (the remake)

I don't remember the full story, but if I remember correctly... Head and Heels are agents for an empire taken by hostile forces, with 5 power crowns stolen from 5 different planets, and you must re-take them to restore peace and the balance of power to your world.

The game has a natural handicap: Skill separation.

What I mean is... Head (the one with the scale-thingy in his arms) can jump higher than Heels but is slow.
On the other hand, Heels can run decently fast, but isn't able to jump more than one block.
Head can fire some donut-like ammunition which paralizes enemies, while Heels has a (kind of) handbag (ok, this sounds gay but whatever hahaha xD) in which you can put some items like springs and blocks.
When they're together you can 'fuse' them putting Head over Heels and then you get combined skills, so you effectively have double-jump and double-speed (I think it's a bit more than twice), plus the ability to take objects and fire donuts.

The game mechanics is quite simple for this kind of games, so... try and... enjoy!

Last edited by LydianKnight; 11-15-10 at 05:17 PM. Reason: posting while having a chocolate cookie = FAIL ¬¬
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 05:23 PM   #2
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Default Re: Fancy some good ol' isometrical-style fun for a change? ;)

Knightlore was my very first computer game (real game that is).

Thanks for the memory
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 05:57 PM   #3
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

This was my first isometric game, and loved it ^_^

My first game, however, was Navy Moves, all of them on my beloved Amstrad CPC 464, which I still miss a lot since all this years *sigh*

PS (in regards of the link). Who said MGS' infiltration intro was 'original'? Hahaha xD
Old 11-15-10, 10:31 PM   #4
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Hmm I believe Head Over Heels has been remade in 2004.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/head-o...s_/screenshots

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 12:52 AM   #5
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
Hmm I believe Head Over Heels has been remade in 2004.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/head-o...s_/screenshots
And apparently with more user friendly art.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 01:12 AM   #6
Vincentx77

Reminds me of my childhood spent playing with the C64. Retrospec (the people who made the 2004 HoH remake) even made an enhanced remake of Wizball, and there's also an enhanced port of Tower Toppler (Nebulus) on SourceForge. Seems like fan-made updates of old Speccy, Amstrad, C64 and the like games are all the rage now.
Vincentx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 07:44 AM   #7
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlippo View Post
And apparently with more user friendly art.
Depends on the concept you have about 'user friendly'. I personally find much more enjoyable the other remake (the one I posted the URL about). The retrospec remake (for example) doesn't play nice with Aero, while the other does. And the other remake makes for a much more accurate match against the original, IMHO.

It's cool to have some advanced shading and lighting but... it's not like the original was.

(On the other hand, I have to say Head Over Heels 1.5 is also something I'm going to give a pass... 3D remake? Pfffffffff...).