Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-10, 05:06 PM   #1
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default GTX 480 voltages

Not sure if this should be here or in the overclocking forum as I only want advice on safe voltages...sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

Anyway, browsing XS it seems most folks rely on GPU-Z rather than Afterburner for accurate voltage readings. Here's my current readings.



My question is, AB always shows a constant voltage reading while gpu-z shows min/max and average ( at min obviously in the screen capture) and my target is 800mhz at the moment, but I'm nervous about bumping the voltage because of the differing readings and wanted some input from folks here.

fwiw, there doesn't seem to be a "default" voltage that applies to all cards. Every post I could find stated differing voltages.

Sooo...just looking for a little help/guidance please?

TIA
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 05:54 PM   #2
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

My 470 could hit 800 with less voltage than you have applied to your 480. Have u just tried ramping up the clocks and seeing if it's stable there?
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 06:20 PM   #3
Blacklash
8^9^3
 
Blacklash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Old Vizima
Posts: 3,679
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

Hmm not sure.

A friend of mine has a vanilla EVGA 480 that does 850 on the core via Precision with no voltage increases. He has to volt it up with Afterburner if he wants to do 900. I haven't asked him by how much. He's tried around 930 and it wasn't stable.
__________________
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.96GHz (1.36v)|Mushkin 998681 XP3-12800 (3x2GB)
ASUS TUF Sabertooth (X58)|ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II (980|4604)|ASUS PA246Q
WD VelociRaptor 150GB HD (x2)|Pioneer DVR-2920Q|LG GH22LS30|Klipsch PM20 2.0
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 06:31 PM   #4
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
My 470 could hit 800 with less voltage than you have applied to your 480. Have u just tried ramping up the clocks and seeing if it's stable there?
That voltage showing in AB is after I lowered it LOL! Default showing when I unlocked monitoring in ab was 1113.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklash View Post
Hmm not sure.

A friend of mine has a vanilla EVGA 480 that does 850 on the core via Precision with no voltage increases. He has to volt it up with Afterburner if he wants to do 900. I haven't asked him by how much. He's tried around 930 and it wasn't stable.
The 765 showing is the max I know for sure is stable. I thought I had 785 stable, but it crashed in a mess of artifacts playing L4D. Survived furmark and OCCT just fine, which is what prompted this.

I don't know exactly what the issue may be, unless I just got an extremely poor chip for overclocking.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 06:35 PM   #5
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
That voltage showing in AB is after I lowered it LOL! Default showing when I unlocked monitoring in ab was 1113.


The 765 showing is the max I know for sure is stable. I thought I had 785 stable, but it crashed in a mess of artifacts playing L4D. Survived furmark and OCCT just fine, which is what prompted this.

I don't know exactly what the issue may be, unless I just got an extremely poor chip for overclocking.
I think you just need a beefier power supply.

Seriously though, been so long since I oc'd a video card. No idea, but from what I'm gathering you should be able to hit 800 without much difficulty.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 11:32 PM   #6
WeReWoLf
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 5,015
Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

My card easily hits 850 @ 1012 voltage. I haven't tried pushing it further than that yet, but I dare say I probably could.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 01:54 AM   #7
Muppet
Registered User
 
Muppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,130
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

I run both my cards at 800 on the core and memory at 2000. That is on stock volts.
__________________
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 05:28 AM   #8
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf View Post
My card easily hits 850 @ 1012 voltage. I haven't tried pushing it further than that yet, but I dare say I probably could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
I run both my cards at 800 on the core and memory at 2000. That is on stock volts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I think you just need a beefier power supply.

Seriously though, been so long since I oc'd a video card. No idea, but from what I'm gathering you should be able to hit 800 without much difficulty.
Thanks guys, I'm having a hard time believing my chip is that lousy given the easy overclocks so many others are getting..

Maybe I will get a beefier PSU after all. Asus' PSU calculator linked on Nvidia's site says mine is the "minimum" recommended for my configuration. Heh.

Thanks guys
  Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-10, 09:28 AM   #9
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

Try lowering the voltage. Maybe you are applying too much? It's worth a shot. I'd try 800mhz right around 1000mv
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 09:34 AM   #10
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Try lowering the voltage. Maybe you are applying too much? It's worth a shot. I'd try 800mhz right around 1000mv
It can't hurt to try. It bothers me that the default is set so high though. According to some of the guys at XS, the lower the default voltage, the better overclocker it will be, or so they seem to think...I don't know.

Why can't it just be easy?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 10:46 AM   #11
Redeemed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 17,982
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Thanks guys, I'm having a hard time believing my chip is that lousy given the easy overclocks so many others are getting..

Maybe I will get a beefier PSU after all. Asus' PSU calculator linked on Nvidia's site says mine is the "minimum" recommended for my configuration. Heh.

Thanks guys
Bro- you know I was joking with that PSU comment, right? Not so sure that's what's holding you back.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 10:51 AM   #12
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: GTX 480 voltages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Bro- you know I was joking with that PSU comment, right? Not so sure that's what's holding you back.
I know

I just don't like not knowing for sure, and with both cpu and gpu overclocked it could well be pushing it, especially if it's a defective PSU, but the issue doesn't show except for when it's under a heavy amp draw, which the 480 does excel at

I did take 5 fans out of my rig this morning including a 230mm, a 140mm and 3 120s - that should give a little relief
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.