Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-20-10, 10:15 PM   #25
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: ATi benches inflated by reduced AF

This thread is making me want to spend some of my "graduation" money on a sparkly new GTX 580 just so I can test image quality between it and my current HD 5870. From what I've seen, both cards have incredible image quality, with the Nvidia card maybe being slightly ahead based on offered levels of AA alone. Image quality is ALWAYS subjective as it can only be evaluated based on on "by sight" evaluations. However, since we are human, none of us view IQ exactly the same.

Seriously, this bickering is getting old though. I may pull out my trusty 9800 GTX+ for some quick comparisons tomorrow. There's really only 1 game to this date that I've found that is really biased towards Nvidia in AF quality: Trackmania United Forever. I have a few current games, but nothing super new.

Any suggestions?

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 10:24 PM   #26
Roadhog
Resident Alien

my suggestion is arguing over this is retarded as both companies have their issues.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-10, 10:53 PM   #27
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
my suggestion is arguing over this is retarded as both companies have their issues.
This. Its total hypocracy. The fact that they sent trollo over to start a FUD campaign with it should be some indication.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 01:09 AM   #28
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC View Post
Sazar and Ninja Prime, both of you are idiots. Ninja Prime should be banned from this forum, seriously the ATI fanboying and the blatant trolling in the GeForce 400/500 forums is embarassing.
Running around and calling people idiots just shows what kind of character you have.

Rollo has a very well earned reputation for trolling on Nvidia's behalf and has previously had a holiday for his behavior, so excuse us if we take things with a pinch of salt.

Quote:
All these sites must have been in NV pocket, eventhough the blatant cheating has been mentioned and verified many times on Beyond3d forums. Typical nonsense reply when you know it's false, just to deflect the true facts.
It has been shown to happen before. Why is it now ignorant to use past experience to be cautious before jumping in head-first?

If anything, NvNews has shown it's class and character and has refused to be drawn into the various fanboy battles that rage on various other sites.

Were there something to comment about, I am sure NvNews will get around to it. Mike nor his editors have any duty to post stuff that has not been vetted. If this is true and is an issue, so be it, I am sure everyone will learn of it sooner rather than later.

Quote:
LOL, just shows how butthurt the ATI fanboy brigade is when they were busted by 4 major German sites for AF cheats and they just can't accept the bitter truth. All of them must be blind if you can't see the horrible shimmering.
Actually, the only people showing their blatant fanboyism are people like yourself. 2 of my 3 systems have Nvidia cards. I obviously don't have a problem with the company or it's products

Take a step back and look at your posts. Typically trolling fanboy behavior. But you still have the audacity to call other people out

Or, feel free to keep calling people idiots. Like I said, it shows a LOT about your (lack of) character.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 04:18 AM   #29
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Computerbase does probably the best GPU reviews and follow-up of any major review site.

I highly disagree with your statement!
I've always been impressed with Computerbase, they seem to just "go the extra mile" when evaluating things. They had a really nice review of microstutter up earlier this year.

A lot of people on B3d and other forums have noticed this and complained as well, it's not just the four German sites. Some ATi owners on this site have posted they noticed the reduced AF.

What I don't get is the ATi fans trying to downplay it. If you have an ATi card, presumably you want default setting to be as good as NVIDIAs' (or better) and the same for High Quality settings. The only way this is going to happen is if people complain when ATi uses image quality reducing optimizations.

For NVIDIA's part, all they want is for their products to be compared on a level playing field. Seems fair to me for all concerned.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-10, 05:49 AM   #30
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
As long as Nvidia fixes theirs too...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...26&postcount=2
You're comparing a bug to a situation, where AMD's 8xAF is slower than 16xAF due to these "optimizations"? Surely you jest.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 10:58 PM   #31
Lyme

Both companies over aggressively optimize from time to time, while yes it is bad on ATI, it isn't as though Nvidia doesn't or hasn't done the exact same thing.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-10, 12:07 AM   #32
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
Both companies over aggressively optimize from time to time, while yes it is bad on ATI, it isn't as though Nvidia doesn't or hasn't done the exact same thing.
Of course both companies do it from time to time, the question is do we hold them both accountable. I don't think there is anything wrong with optimizations as long as it's out in the open and there are options to disable them.

Nvidia pretty much cleaned up their AF filtering shenanigans when the G8x cards were introduced and to see AMD rehash them is a bit unfortunate.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-10, 06:49 AM   #33
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
If NVIDIA were doing this now, I would hold them accountable as well. This sort of thing needs to be exposed so people aren't mislead.

I played three games after installing my fine new XFX HD6870 last night:Just Cause2, UT3, and COD World at War.

In COD, didn't notice anything unusual.

In Just Cause 2, I saw shimmer in the road.

In UT3, I saw an actual line move with me on a fence, and huge amounts moire effect on areas where the floor was comprised of steel grates.

Definitely merits more investigation.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 11-25-10, 08:50 AM   #34
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Why do you have a 6870 if you hate AMD so much?

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-10, 09:35 AM   #35
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Why do you have a 6870 if you hate AMD so much?
I posted about this, would seem fair that I actually look into it. I wouldn't want to spread misinformation. (and it's always better to have actual experience)

Rig 2:

Old 11-25-10, 05:38 PM   #36
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefeet8 View Post
Of course both companies do it from time to time, the question is do we hold them both accountable. I don't think there is anything wrong with optimizations as long as it's out in the open and there are options to disable them.

Nvidia pretty much cleaned up their AF filtering shenanigans when the G8x cards were introduced and to see AMD rehash them is a bit unfortunate.
I agree. I remember when CS:S came out and the nv cards of the time just sucked at DX9, they were using multitudes of cheats to try and give "playable" framerates. IQ sucked compared to ATi. I kept buying nV cards for a long time, simply because I didn't know any better. I loved my Ti4600, My 6800GT (flashed to ultra w/nv cooler) and my 8800GTX. My 5700Ultra, 5900Ultra, 7800GT's SLi and 7950GX2 Quad SLi cards just weren't that great. I have only had 2 ATi products. 4870 1gb and 5850, both are excellent. I'm still disappointed to see any driver based shenanigans like this from either manufacturer. But I'm sure we'll see this remedied asap.
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote