Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-10, 12:34 PM   #13
Shocky

Default Re: GTX580 - Games Minimizing !

Tried it with a fresh install on another drive and it's still doing it, so this card is going back.

I'll get a refund, HD6970 is only around the corner so I'll probably get that.

Shame...
Shocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 05:39 PM   #14
Hawke

Like grey_1 said your power supply could be on it's way out, to find out you will need to do some testing. You have already ruled out a software problem with a fresh install.

If your machine is overclocked reset your bios to its default settings, update the motherboards bios to the latest version and if it's still playing up see if you can borrow another PSU from a friend or another machine and use it to power the video card.

You don't need to remove your current PSU just unplug it from the video card, prop up the spare next to your case and plug it in, power it on first (use a paper clip to short the green pin and one of the black pins in the same row). Then turn on your machine and play some games.

At least that way you will know for sure if you need to go shopping for a new PSU.

Hawke.
Hawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 03:22 AM   #15
Shocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
Like grey_1 said your power supply could be on it's way out, to find out you will need to do some testing. You have already ruled out a software problem with a fresh install.

If your machine is overclocked reset your bios to its default settings, update the motherboards bios to the latest version and if it's still playing up see if you can borrow another PSU from a friend or another machine and use it to power the video card.

You don't need to remove your current PSU just unplug it from the video card, prop up the spare next to your case and plug it in, power it on first (use a paper clip to short the green pin and one of the black pins in the same row). Then turn on your machine and play some games.

At least that way you will know for sure if you need to go shopping for a new PSU.

Hawke.
It's not the PSU, it's practically new and has been running HD5870CF for the last three months with a 8800GT for Physx with zero problems.

I'm not going to troubleshoot hardware compatibilty as I've been there before, it's time consuming, expensive and usually a waste of time.

I'll just use my HD5870 for now and get a HD6970 next month.
Old 11-30-10, 08:05 PM   #16
Hawke

I said it could be the PSU, you need to figure out if the problem lies with the PSU or the video card. I know it's a hassle to troubleshoot but if updating your motherboards bios and putting your CPU back to stock clocks has not solved the problem, you may need to fork out the money for a new PSU to determine if the video card is faulty or not.

A PSU can overload or fail at any time, I had a new unit that barely lasted 5 months before becoming unstable, the system would completely lock up while playing games sometimes it took an hour sometimes 5 in the end I had to rma the thing and buy a replacement.

I have just got a GTX580 myself which is why I'm curious about this problem, the only thing I can think of is it could be the new power regulation these cards have which is forcing games to run in windowed mode to prevent the system from becoming unstable.

Anyhow the last thing you want to do is replace the card with another one only to find out your system is still unstable. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hawke
Old 12-01-10, 12:38 PM   #17
Shocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
Anyhow the last thing you want to do is replace the card with another one only to find out your system is still unstable.

Hawke
But that's not case, I don't get this problem with my HD5870's.

I'm back too using HD5870 Crossfire and everything is working perfectly.
Old 12-01-10, 11:02 PM   #18
Hawke

Sorry I wasn't very clear with that last sentence, while your PSU can handle your current system just fine it may not be able to supply the GTX580 with the power it needs to run reliably.

Like I said you need to test using another PSU to confirm this because you may find that later on if you get a HD6970 or another new card you could still end up having stability problems and need to get a new PSU, I hope that it doesn't happen but it's a possibility.

Hawke