Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-10, 06:44 PM   #13
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: What can I expect?

you seem to be the only person having issues. I think you need to stop blaming ati drivers and find out the real problem.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 02:43 AM   #14
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
you seem to be the only person having issues. I think you need to stop blaming ati drivers and find out the real problem.
I'm not the only person having issues.

All of my gripes are driver/bug related. Just how it is.

I play such a variety of games, trying to catch up, always going to be problems.

Have a look around other forums, a whole ton of people having gripes with these drivers. Doesn't help that the official driver release for these things are a wave of hotfixes.

Catalyst 10.11 don't even support the 6870s and they have an older date than the 10.10d hotfix. Work that one out, what on earth are they doing?

Alot of my games have been fine though to be fair. But you get these annoying little niggly issues that were preventable. For e.g the World in Conflict profiles being broken, after they put in the driver release notes it had improved performance. lol doh!
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 01:17 PM   #15
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
Can I push 4x AA and 16 AF?
'

Yes, you should be able to play on Very High in 1920x with 4xAA and get stable framerates. Remeber, even 30fps in crysis feels like 40 - 50 dont ask me why.

If you OC those babies you'll be able to score nearly as good as dual GTX 480 SLI hahaha, and the price of two 6870's is just slightly higher than one 480 lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Not sure, probably AA x4 should be playable and AF doesn't work on very high because of the POM as I remember.

DX9 will be smoother but DX10 64bit mode will look better, with a much higher performance hit. I get between 20-30fps+ at 1440x900. It's worth noting that Crysis is one of those games that doesn't need a high frame-rate to play well, since anything over 25fps is good.
AF does work in any of the cases... If u disable POM AF works fine. If u wan't POM aswell with AF there's a mod on crymod.com that allow you to use POM along with AF and get brilliant results.

Jesus dude you speak with no knowledge, stop speaking when u dont know. DX10 wont look better, only thing it ads is object based motion blur. U can use custom cvars to gain the identical look in dx9... Also 64bit wont gain any difference to graphics.. U¨'re right about the framerates though. I played though with 25 - 30 fps and it was fine. I also noticed that on lower res-- speaking under 1600x1200/1680x1050 25 fps will feel alot more fluent than 25fps on higher reses like 16xxby1xxx and 1920x1200/1080 and up, then u will start feel things slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
ffs.... can't run the game at 1920x1080. Get the "Out of range" message which is nonsense. Play all of my games at that res, infact it's my displays native res.

Any ideas? This is driving me crackers.

EDIT: Edited the config file, got my 1920x1080 now but it runs the game at 50hz. Hmmm Bloody 6870 Crossfire.
Should be able to put what HZ u wanna play in in the autoexec.cfg ... Google it.

By the way.. 6870 crossfire is an amazing stup.. Better than nvidias fastest card 580 hahah.. And also cost less, and takes about the same power.. thats 2 cards btw, vs 1.. Congrats for your purchase.. Radeon is back in business and the 69 series will brake nvidia and shine through and ppl will see. It will all make sense... in the matter of... am not really adliberty to say.. Well, let's just say the time of AMD is here.

@Roadhog-- is that Byron? God shes beautiful
Old 12-02-10, 03:06 PM   #16
YodaStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetdjuret View Post
Jesus dude you speak with no knowledge, stop speaking when u dont know. DX10 wont look better, only thing it ads is object based motion blur. U can use custom cvars to gain the identical look in dx9... Also 64bit wont gain any difference to graphics.. U¨'re right about the framerates though. I played though with 25 - 30 fps and it was fine. I also noticed that on lower res-- speaking under 1600x1200/1680x1050 25 fps will feel alot more fluent than 25fps on higher reses like 16xxby1xxx and 1920x1200/1080 and up, then u will start feel things slow.
Actually he is right. Crysis has particle emitters and some dynamic lightsources that are restricted by devs to DX10 mode aswell as simple deffered lights that are used when a bullet collides with metal litting up impact surface. DX10 also has higher precision for some effects and higher sampling rate though difference there is subtle. Then Crytek style OBM only works fully correct in DX10 and particle quality is higher in DX10 using geometry shaders.
YodaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 08:55 AM   #17
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaStar View Post
Actually he is right. Crysis has particle emitters and some dynamic lightsources that are restricted by devs to DX10 mode aswell as simple deffered lights that are used when a bullet collides with metal litting up impact surface. DX10 also has higher precision for some effects and higher sampling rate though difference there is subtle. Then Crytek style OBM only works fully correct in DX10 and particle quality is higher in DX10 using geometry shaders.
Were not talking about dx9 vs dx10 here. Were talking about dx9 vs dx10 in crysis.. And as far as i know. OBMB is the only thing u get from going dx10. Soft particles aitn soft in dx10 either, go to a waterfall, see how the waterparticles goes though harded edges looks aweful.

And trust me, the light isn't different in dx10. Check here, dx9 vs dx10 same settings:

There's no visible difference in the image quality as you can see yourself.

Do you think you know more about Crysis than me? LOL take a hike boy.
Old 12-03-10, 09:11 AM   #18
Sean_W

You don't need to make your ego bigger Soetdjuret. Just take a pill and chill.

64bit mode looks better because the draw distance is better and draws more detail, even Crytek said that years ago. I said DX10 mode looks better because of the very high settings, it's not the point you can hack DX9 for the same settings.

You should read proper before being aggressive with people.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 01:43 PM   #19
YodaStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetdjuret View Post
Were not talking about dx9 vs dx10 here. Were talking about dx9 vs dx10 in crysis.. And as far as i know. OBMB is the only thing u get from going dx10. Soft particles aitn soft in dx10 either, go to a waterfall, see how the waterparticles goes though harded edges looks aweful.
Youre talking about Crysis DX9 and DX10 rendering API modes and so am I. What I said is correct, it's present in the shaders (precision, samples, method), can be checked in editor and is visible. You can browse the lightsources in editor and see which are exclusive to DX10 API mode and which are available for both API modes (the DX10 exclusives ones can be enabled for both API modes but by default it's not). Same with particles, you can check in editor which emitters are limited to DX10 API mode and which are available for both API modes. My FXMOD particle mod enables DX10 exclusive emitters for both API modes. As for the particle quality, just enable offline in the custom config the command "r_UseGSParticles 0/1" in DX10 rendering mode and see particle quality difference.

For the simple deffered lights just shot onto a metal surface in DX9 and then DX10 mode and see how DX10 API mode with CE2/Crysis allows the bullet impact to generate a lightsource litting up impact area. These are the simple deffered lights.

Quote:
And trust me, the light isn't different in dx10. Check here, dx9 vs dx10 same settings:

http://www.tweakguides.com/images/Crysis_2a.jpg
http://www.tweakguides.com/images/Crysis_21b.jpg

There's no visible difference in the image quality as you can see yourself.
The difference will be very subtle and visible when the HDR needs more range to display proper lighting graduation as per the "book".

Quote:
Do you think you know more about Crysis than me? LOL take a hike boy.
No need to be rude but since you didn't know what I told you you dont know as much as I do about technical mathers regarding CE2 and how Crysis is configured. I've played a lot with Crysis editor, the game, configs. I created YSFX tod/config mod, FXMOD particle mod and did the tech part of Digital Foundries "Is Crysis possible on consoles?" article.

I've hosted videos of my creations and other game related stuff at Youtube "Videotubestation".

EDIT: You can open up the Crysis shader package or any other package with Winzip or WinRAR as they are renamed zip files with default compression. The shader files are not encrypted so they can be read and modified with Notepad (Notepad++ is best for this kind of work). Crytek sure showed their love for the modding community by having it all accessible for modders without use of third party tools.
Old 12-03-10, 02:01 PM   #20
YodaStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
64bit mode looks better because the draw distance is better and draws more detail, even Crytek said that years ago.
Difference between 32bit and 64bit modes are that 64bit mode by default disables texture streaming at very high settings, thats all. This forces the game to use highest quality textures and use their mipmap levels for distant surfaces. This can though be disabled for 32bit mode as Crysis at default or modded still uses large aware adress extension thus for 32bit OS can use upto 3GB RAM or for 64bit OS upto 4GB RAM despite application running in 32bit mode.

This was a bad marketing call by Crytek as anyone with 3GB RAM (assuming 1GB taken by OS) a GPU with 512MB VRAM could have texture streaming disabled without problems in 32bit mode.

Old 12-04-10, 12:16 PM   #21
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaStar View Post
Difference between 32bit and 64bit modes are that 64bit mode by default disables texture streaming at very high settings, thats all. This forces the game to use highest quality textures and use their mipmap levels for distant surfaces. This can though be disabled for 32bit mode as Crysis at default or modded still uses large aware adress extension thus for 32bit OS can use upto 3GB RAM or for 64bit OS upto 4GB RAM despite application running in 32bit mode.

This was a bad marketing call by Crytek as anyone with 3GB RAM (assuming 1GB taken by OS) a GPU with 512MB VRAM could have texture streaming disabled without problems in 32bit mode.
Yeah, I was just saying that because I remember seeing screenshot comparisons between the 64bit and 32bit version. The 64bit version drew the textures on the distant mountains better and more trees.

It makes sense that 64bit can do this sort of thing anyway, since 64bit is not limited in what memory it can use, where 32bit is.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote