Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-10, 08:59 PM   #1
prestonr83

Default HDMI to Toshiba TV going black

I have searched google till I am blue in the face over the past year and cannot find a solution. Hope maybe someone here could offer me some. I have a 36' Toshiba LCD TV. I am trying to connect it VIA HDMI to a linux box running a geforce card. Now in the bios or not in X the screen shows up just fine. Once X loads no matter what resolution I try 1080i or 720p the screen comes up fine for about 15 seconds then the tv goes black and controls freeze up. I cannot change input or anything. I have to hold down power button on TV for 5 seconds it then shuts off. I can turn it back on and again the image will be fine for 15 seconds or so. This is only happening once X loads. I have also tested with a Windows 7 box over HDMI and it works just fine. I have tried all kinds of settings in xorg.conf. I cannot seem to find the issue. Please any help would be great. Here is a copy of my current xorg.conf its just basic nothing special in it right now. Figured I'd try from scratch.

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder75) Thu Apr 22 11:44:23 PDT 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
Option "HWCursor" "Off"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
prestonr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 10:50 AM   #2
_john_i_
gtx260/8200M G/DIY Linux

Default Re: HDMI to Toshiba TV going black

Maybe you have something wrong in the timings in the monitor section of the xorg.conf file.

Try commenting out the ' Monitor "Monitor0" ' line in the screen section, and let the drivers autodetect it.
_john_i_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 05:13 PM   #3
prestonr83

Quote:
Originally Posted by _john_i_ View Post
Maybe you have something wrong in the timings in the monitor section of the xorg.conf file.

Try commenting out the ' Monitor "Monitor0" ' line in the screen section, and let the drivers autodetect it.
I gave that a shot and it came up with a funky resolution and then the screen went black again.
Old 12-01-10, 08:35 AM   #4
BigdaveyL

I have a similar problem here. No working solutions yet...
BigdaveyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 11:47 AM   #5
_john_i_
gtx260/8200M G/DIY Linux

A long shot, but have you tried a different HDMI cable? I had a bad cable once where the screen would go black from time to time, and the problem went away when I replaced the cable.

Another thing you might look into, is check and see if your TV manufacturer offers a firmware update for the TV. I have a Phillips LED TV with a USB port, and was able to download a firmware update, and put the file on a flash drive. Just power on the TV with the flash drive in it, and it detected the update on the flash drive and flashed the firmware.
_john_i_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 01:55 PM   #6
BigdaveyL

Quote:
A long shot, but have you tried a different HDMI cable? I had a bad cable once where the screen would go black from time to time, and the problem went away when I replaced the cable.

Another thing you might look into, is check and see if your TV manufacturer offers a firmware update for the TV. I have a Phillips LED TV with a USB port, and was able to download a firmware update, and put the file on a flash drive. Just power on the TV with the flash drive in it, and it detected the update on the flash drive and flashed the firmware.
Same thing happens with a DVI-HDMI cable.

No firmware updates for my TV
BigdaveyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 04:35 PM   #7
prestonr83

Quote:

I have tried multiple cables and same issue. I will check the manufacture to see if there is a firmware update and report back. Thanks.