Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-10, 10:03 PM   #1
ShiningArcanine

Default Open source drivers

Does anyone have any theory as to why Nvidia keeps its drivers closed source?

My guess is that Nvidia is afraid that open sourcing its drivers would somehow benefit ATI, either by someone modifying Nvidia's drivers to support ATI hardware or by pieces of Nvidia's drivers finding their way into ATI's drivers.
ShiningArcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 10:11 PM   #2
Deanjo

Default Re: Open source drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningArcanine View Post
Does anyone have any theory as to why Nvidia keeps its drivers closed source?

My guess is that Nvidia is afraid that open sourcing its drivers would somehow benefit ATI, either by someone modifying Nvidia's drivers to support ATI hardware or by pieces of Nvidia's drivers finding their way into ATI's drivers.
More the case that opensourcing their blobs wouldn't do any good anyways. The same reason why ATI never opensourced their blobs. The blobs bypass so much of X that it would be of no use. I'd rather have good closed source blobs then limiting my cards performance due to having to accept a "one size fits all but unoptimized for any specific hardware" solution. I don't buy top of the line hardware to be hobbled in performance.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 09:00 AM   #3
artem

Default Re: Open source drivers

ShiningArcanine,

this has been discussed 1000 times, there's also an interview with one of NVIDIA engineers on Phoronix on this matter.

There's nothing really to discuss here, NVIDIA won't open source even specs for their hardware let alone drivers source which contains intellectual property (software patents are honored at least in the US) multiple hacks and performance optimizations.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote