Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-04-10, 11:00 PM   #1
wheeljack12

Send a message via Skype™ to wheeljack12
Default my gripe with windows 7

Overactivation. With xp and vista, you could change 2 or 3 pieces of hardware and windows didn't ask to activate. When I changed from 4 gtx 480's to one gtx 580, It asked me to activate. That I understand. But when I added a second gtx 580 and a sb xfi titanium fatal1ty champ pci-e, It asks to activate again. Well, I did disable onboard realtek sound when I added the xfi. So, there was 3 changes there, old sound card off, new sound card installed and a second gtx 580. I actually had to buy a second copy of win 7 pro a couple months back because of norton 360 version 4.0. It seemed every time norton 360 did a major update, it somehow screwed around with the hardware hash and forced another activation. It just worries me that ms is now just being greedy with windows 7 with overactivation due to sometimes minimal hardware changes and crappy av software in my case. Didn't complain to anyone, just changed to avg internet security which isn't so stupid to do what symantec does and threw out the norton 360 disk and key. And I had to do that because symantec didn't recognize my pc as the same meaning I was out of licenses even though no hardware was changed at that time but the OS was reinstalled fresh. Dumb *ss symantec will be out of business soon because the average consumer realizes that you can't just reinstall a symantec product without buying more lisences,well you get the picture. I can install avg as many times as I wan't including OS reinstalls because all they care is that you have a key that expires in 1 or 2 years, nothing else. I kept by key from my 1st windows 7 license since they said I had used up all my activations saying it was pretty much banned meaning the key. I was told by a friend that ms releases keys after a 6 month period when they think you have pirated a key which I didn't.
gigabyte g1.sniper 5 mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790k 4.0 ghz quad core cpu, asus gtx 780 3gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0 (intel raid),antec hcg-850 850 watt 80 plus bronze psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,pioneer bdr-208 15x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, logitech g502 mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,kingston 8gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech s120 2.0 speakers

I'd rather walk with God in the Dark than shine in the light alone.
wheeljack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 11:02 PM   #2
Bearclaw

Default Re: my gripe with windows 7

Why did you buy another copy? That makes no sense.
Old 12-04-10, 11:12 PM   #3
wheeljack12

because when I called by phone ms to explain the situation, they didn't listen to me. They just explained protocol for activating windows. I basically mumbled on the phone activation when it asked for the install id to force someone to answer the phone. I asked them why my key and installation id were somehow invalid and they totally blew me off. The same friend who I just mentioned told me to do this because when he worked at a pc shop and they had a client who used up their key activations, they would usually tell them the situation and ms would give them more activations because of circumstance that they weren't piratiing, they were upgrading at the shop or at home. They wouldn't even give a reason why. And I am not jumping to linux or mac because ms doesn't respect hardware and software manufacturer's or their customers who upgrade often. Yes, I should have been more assertive. But in my opinion, I don't have the time to bitch and complain while I have no pc to use due to overactivation. I could see weeks or months of back and forth with ms over it too. Like I said, I kept the 1st key so technically I still have two copies of windows, just one that is in limbo right now.
gigabyte g1.sniper 5 mb, 8gb ddr3-1866 mhz ram in dual channel,intel core i7 4790k 4.0 ghz quad core cpu, asus gtx 780 3gb vc,OCZ vector 150 240 gb ssd x 2 in raid 0 (intel raid),antec hcg-850 850 watt 80 plus bronze psu,corsair carbide 500r white case,pioneer bdr-208 15x bluray writer, steelseries 6gv2 keyboard ,seiki 39 inch 4k tv, logitech g502 mouse ,xbox 360 wired controller for windows,kingston 8gb usb 2.0 flash drive,windows 8.1 64 bit,creative labs sound blaster zxr pci-e sc,logitech s120 2.0 speakers

Old 12-05-10, 12:38 PM   #4
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I would read this post, but the lack of using paragraphs is hurting my eyes.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 01:18 PM   #5
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

linux is free
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 01:23 PM   #6
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I would read this post, but the lack of using paragraphs is hurting my eyes.
this is correct i require periods and commas to be able to read
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 03:14 PM   #7
FlakMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
linux is free
So is an STD.
2xSamsung 7200 750GB RAID 0| Akasa Eclipse 62
FlakMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 03:47 PM   #8
bacon12

Why not just install windows MCE instead of Norton 360?
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-10, 03:55 PM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack12 View Post
Overactivation. With xp and vista, you could change 2 or 3 pieces of hardware and windows didn't ask to activate. When I changed from 4 gtx 480's to one gtx 580, It asked me to activate. That I understand. But when I added a second gtx 580 and a sb xfi titanium fatal1ty champ pci-e, It asks to activate again. Well, I did disable onboard realtek sound when I added the xfi. So, there was 3 changes there, old sound card off, new sound card installed and a second gtx 580. I actually had to buy a second copy of win 7 pro a couple months back because of norton 360 version 4.0. It seemed every time norton 360 did a major update, it somehow screwed around with the hardware hash and forced another activation. It just worries me that ms is now just being greedy with windows 7 with overactivation due to sometimes minimal hardware changes and crappy av software in my case. Didn't complain to anyone, just changed to avg internet security which isn't so stupid to do what symantec does and threw out the norton 360 disk and key. And I had to do that because symantec didn't recognize my pc as the same meaning I was out of licenses even though no hardware was changed at that time but the OS was reinstalled fresh. Dumb *ss symantec will be out of business soon because the average consumer realizes that you can't just reinstall a symantec product without buying more lisences,well you get the picture. I can install avg as many times as I wan't including OS reinstalls because all they care is that you have a key that expires in 1 or 2 years, nothing else. I kept by key from my 1st windows 7 license since they said I had used up all my activations saying it was pretty much banned meaning the key. I was told by a friend that ms releases keys after a 6 month period when they think you have pirated a key which I didn't.
Greedy? Don't blame MS, blame the tens of thousands (if not millions) of people that pirated XP and Vista, totaling millions of dollars in losses for MS.

And there is a method to the activation madness. IIRC, it's based on a point system. Changing a piece of hardware equates to a number of points, tally up enough points, and you have to reactivate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Why not just install windows MCE instead of Norton 360?
I think you meant MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), not Media Center Edition.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 06:04 PM   #10
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Greedy? Don't blame MS, blame the tens of thousands (if not millions) of people that pirated XP and Vista, totaling millions of dollars in losses for MS.

And there is a method to the activation madness. IIRC, it's based on a point system. Changing a piece of hardware equates to a number of points, tally up enough points, and you have to reactivate.
I'm sure Microsoft are crying into their massive bag of billions at the fact that they are losing less than 1% of their earning, to Windows pirates. Microsoft haven't become moral, it's just pure greed.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 06:12 PM   #11
wheeljack12

but there has to be a balance between anti piracy and consumer happiness. The best thing MS can do is have people activate by disk upon installation finish. Like Tages or something like that. Still keep the reactivations though, but be more flexible about what constitutes a reactivation. I agree and understand that MS is pissed by piracy but when you don't protect your media and just the key along with people using corporate keys (that policy will have to be changed) illegally, your asking for problems.

Old 12-05-10, 10:25 PM   #12
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
I'm sure Microsoft are crying into their massive bag of billions at the fact that they are losing less than 1% of their earning, to Windows pirates. Microsoft haven't become moral, it's just pure greed.
You sound like a kid, crying that the kid next to you has more ice cream. It's business, and this is capitalism. I'd be more worried if they weren't trying to increase their net worth.

Besides, Bill and Melinda Gates give billions to charity. What have you given lately? I haven't given anything, so I don't have a leg to stand on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeljack12 View Post
but there has to be a balance between anti piracy and consumer happiness. The best thing MS can do is have people activate by disk upon installation finish. Like Tages or something like that. Still keep the reactivations though, but be more flexible about what constitutes a reactivation. I agree and understand that MS is pissed by piracy but when you don't protect your media and just the key along with people using corporate keys (that policy will have to be changed) illegally, your asking for problems.
It's all been cracked. And it will continue to be cracked. There's really no solution to piracy besides a physical subscription service where there's no way for a machine to operate without their servers. And from the sound of it, we're not too far away from that (enter cloud).
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote