Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-09-10, 11:17 AM   #13
MattDee

Default Re: Help with installing EVGA GeForce GTX 460

Remove the soundcard and there will be room. >>>>

Ummm....at the risk of sounding dumb....don't I need a sound card?
MattDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 11:25 AM   #14
jkmetal

Well, what card is taking up that slot.

And yeah you do. Does your motherboard have built in sound? I think it does.

What games are you planning on playing with this card?
Old 12-09-10, 11:13 PM   #15
MattDee

I believe our computer does have integrated sound, too. So I don't know what card is there in the way. I'll post a pic. tomorrow. I think we've got the power supply cords figured out and know how it goes in....but there's just not room.

The games my son plays are mostly Steam games like Just Cause II.
Old 12-10-10, 03:43 AM   #16
gstanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDee View Post
Remove the soundcard and there will be room. >>>>

Ummm....at the risk of sounding dumb....don't I need a sound card?
What do you use for a monitor? The GTX460 should have audio over HDMI, so if using a LCD tv for a monitor or a monitor like my Benq G2400W which has a HDMI audio passthrough you can use that.

Primary rig:
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Cooler: Cooler MAster Hyper 212+
Motherboard Asrock z68 Extreme 4
Memory: 8gb Corsair DDR-3 1333
Video: 2x Galaxy GTX 670 reference 2gb
PhysX: Gainward GTX 460 SE 1gb
Video Capture: Compro E-700 DVB-T PCI-e
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
Monitor: Samsung 305T 30"
Case: Coolermaster stacker 830
Hard drives: 5x 500gb seagate SATA (non raid)
Burner: Samsung SH-S18L
OS: Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
MS Sidewinder Joystick
Logitech G25 wheel
Logitech 5.1 speaker system
gstanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 08:14 AM   #17
MattDee

What do you use for a monitor? The GTX460 should have audio over HDMI, so if using a LCD tv for a monitor or a monitor like my Benq G2400W which has a HDMI audio passthrough you can use that.>>>>

O.K......our monitor is a Gateway HD1900 LCD. How would I know if it had audio pasthrough and how would I go about attempting this?

Dee
Old 12-10-10, 09:21 AM   #18
gstanford

Well, the monitor would have a HDMI input connector on it, and an audio output jack (mine is on the side of the monitor) if it had audio passthrough.

Primary rig:
MS Sidewinder Joystick
Logitech G25 wheel
Old 12-10-10, 09:24 AM   #19
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

If you want to quote someone just hit the quote button on their post.

Your monitor does not have an HDMI connector, nor does it have audio out capabilities.

First of all, is the card you have to remove definitely the sound card? Picture of it removed please.

If so, since you're now out of a sound card you'll need to order one; just get something cheap @ newegg for $20 or so.

See, here's the deal: That video card has it's own sound hardware on it; so it's kinda two cards in one. With the right setup you can run audio through a DVI or HDMI cable, and then the audio can pass through either the onboard speakers on the monitor (or HDTV), or if the display has any audio out (my monitor for example has a headphone jack audio out on the back) then you can run audio out to PC multimedia speakers or a home theater receiver.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 02:37 PM   #20
MattDee

O.k. here's a couple of pics

In the first picture, the black cord hanging down goes up to the power supply box (or whatever that is truly called). In the second pic., I tried to show how the plug on the back of the card attaches to the motherboard.

This is the card that on the outside of the back of the computer has the two LED lights, red and green, that say "PWR" and "LINK"

Old 12-10-10, 08:38 PM   #21
gstanford

Can you provide the model number of that card? I cannot make it out properly in your photo.

It seems to be a soundcard with a cable going from ac97 out to the ac97 header on the motherboard.

I'm not sure what the "PWR" and "LINK" LEDs signify? Perhaps there is also an ethernet port integrated onto the card or an ADSL or Dialup modem? Pretty common practice in OEM machines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	41789  

Primary rig:
MS Sidewinder Joystick
Logitech G25 wheel
Old 12-10-10, 09:04 PM   #22
Redeemed

Quote:
O.k. here's a couple of pics

In the first picture, the black cord hanging down goes up to the power supply box (or whatever that is truly called). In the second pic., I tried to show how the plug on the back of the card attaches to the motherboard.

This is the card that on the outside of the back of the computer has the two LED lights, red and green, that say "PWR" and "LINK"
It almost sounds like you're describing a NIC of some sort.

Take a picture of the back side of the computer, primarily of the card in question. In an earlier post you mentioned "two phones jacks" and the "PWR" and "LINK" LEDs... this *definitely sounds like a NIC- the jacks *look* like phone jacks but are actually larger, that's an ethernet connection for an RJ45 cable.

Just take a photo of the back of your computer, primarily of the card in question (with the LEDs). That'll give us a better idea what piece of hardware that is.

If it is a sound card, most motherboard this decade have had on-board audio. If it's ethernet, same thing, most motherboards within the passed... 7+ years have had at least one intergrated NIC.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 09:32 PM   #23
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
It almost sounds like you're describing a NIC of some sort.
It's a wireless card.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 09:39 PM   #24
Redeemed

Going off of the model you provided for your machine, this is what the output ports on your motherboard should look like:

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...72Rmvr22.shtml

"D" is the VGA out for the integrated ATI® Radeon™ HD 3200 (based off of the specs found here: http://www.gateway.com/product_spec....ecid=529668104). "G" is going to be your integrated NIC- the ethernet port that allows you to connect to networks (i.e. - the internet). "H", "I", "J", and "L" are analog audio outs for up to 7.1 surround sound. They are color coded. "Green" ("L") is for your "front" speakers; if you only have two speakers then you'd use this port. The other's are for their corresponding surround speakers (i.e center/subwoofer, surrounds, rear surrounds).

Going off of the specs for that rig, it does appear to have a 56k modem. That would be the smaller card occupying the white PCI slot towards the bottom of your motherboard. It also appears that your computer has a built-in wireless card as per the spec sheet (Integrated Realtek 802.11b/g Wireless Networking) found here http://www.gateway.com/product_spec....ecid=529668104.

I'm quite soundly convinced the card in question is your wireless adapter, as the antennae is internal, apparently. Does the card look any thing like this:

http://support.gateway.com/s/NETWORK...16913Rnv.shtml

If so- that's your wireless network adapter. Going off of your picture in this post:

Quote:
Sorry these are so big....I wanted to be able to see the details. I believe the pci-e slot is the black slot above the 2 white pci slots? I don't know what it is that is already there. 1.) On the bottom in one of the pci slots there is a card that is attached to 2 phone jack slots on the back of the computer that say "LINK" and "POWER." 2.) The top "card" in the small black slot is connected to two red and green lights on the back of the computer that say "LINK" and "PWR". I think the new graphics card should go above this in the pci-e slot, but there is not room for it to fit. What are these cards already there?

First reference the larger, bottom picture. I recognize what appears to be the same type of antennae used in laptops. Referencing the bolded in your quote above:

1.)That is your 56k modem, mostly used for dial-up internet connection and PC Fax.

2.)The red LED "PWR" would indicate that the wireless network adapter has power. If it is plugged in and your computer on, likely this will be continuously lit. Like most laptops this card can be disabled, doing such should cause this light to turn off. The green LED "LINK" likely will never be constantly lit. It should flicker randomly when you are connected to a wireless network, functioning more as an activity indicator. While lit that indicates activity over the wireless network, when dark it indicates no activity. Thus the flickering as the activity will be varied. It also serves to indicate whether you have a connection to a wireless network. If it does flicker, you're connected. If you're not connected there will be no wireless activity and thus no flicker.

So now the question is- do you need this to get online? Well, are you connected to your modem (or router) via a hardline? It'd be an ethernet cord (will look like a phone chord, but much thicker and with a larger connector), and it'd plug into the ethernet port I pointed out to you earlier in this post (referencing the photo of the output ports on your motherboard here it'd be item "G"). If you have a hard line connected to the ethernet port then you can safely uninstall the wireless network adapter. This will allow you to install the GTX460.

The other possibility is that you are using a dial-up connection. If so, then you'd have at least one phone cord feeding into the dial up modem, that's the item in the bottom white PCI slot with the phone jacks. If this is the case, then you can still safely remove the wireless network adapter and install your GTX460.

If none of those two are the case, then you are using your wireless network adapter to connect to the internet wirelessly, via a wireless network. You'll have to run an ethernet cord from the back of your router to the ethernet port on your motherboard (item "G" if you'll referrence the photo of the output ports for your motherboard here.)

Now... word of caution- the GTX460 does require a 450 watt power supply. I don't care how Gateway rates their PSUs, a lack of 150 watts is a rather large discrepency. I would urge you to purchase at the very minimal a 450 watt power supply just to be safe. That GTX460 requires a *minimal* of a 450 watt PSU. So even if your power supply is capable of that much wattage, you *will* be pushing it near it's limits. Doing so is putting a great deal of strain on the unit, and thus causing it to fail much earlier than when under nominal load. And if your power supply does fail, there is the possibility it could take out multiple components (could fry your processor, motherboard, new graphics card, etc)... or it may do no damage at all. Either way, not worth the risk in my opinion. If you're on a budget then delay installing the GTX460 untill you can afford a new PSU. A little bit of patience never hurt nobody.

Hope this helps.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote