Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-10, 10:39 PM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: Help with installing EVGA GeForce GTX 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
It's a wireless card.
Mr. Quickfingers.

I hadn't looked up the model of his desktop. Having done so, great minds do indeed think alike.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 10:40 PM   #26
Roadhog
Resident Alien

wow you typed all that only to get beaten by me.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-10, 10:41 PM   #27
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Mr. Quickfingers.

I hadn't looked up the model of his desktop. Having done so, great minds do indeed think alike.
I didn't look it up either. WN7000 told me it was a wireless card. Or did geek squad not teach you that?
Old 12-10-10, 10:42 PM   #28
Redeemed

Quote:
wow you typed all that only to get beaten by me.

Well, at least I provided him with some clear instructions on how to proceed.
Old 12-10-10, 10:42 PM   #29
Redeemed

Quote:
I didn't look it up either. WN7000 told me it was a wireless card. Or did geek squad not teach you that?
Where did he mention WN7000? That would be a dead give away.

EDIT: Just noticed you can make that out in one of the pictures he posted. Totally missed that.
Old 12-10-10, 10:45 PM   #30
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Where did he mention WN7000? That would be a dead give away.

EDIT: Just noticed you can make that out in one of the pictures he posted. Totally missed that.
wow you're blind. lol
Old 12-10-10, 10:49 PM   #31
Redeemed

Quote:
wow you're blind. lol
That can happen after reading too many of your posts.
Old 12-10-10, 11:13 PM   #32
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Ok, so MattDee: Get a usb wireless adapter, pull out the wireless card, and then put the 460 in. Don't forget like I said to remove existing display drivers, and download new drivers from nvidia.com (don't use what's on the CD).

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-10, 02:55 PM   #33
MattDee

You guys are so smart.

After reading all your replies, I took our computer to a guy who has worked on it before.....that card is indeed a wireless card. According to him, we don't need it. We have DSL and a modem connected to our computer on the back. So we should just be able to take it out, correct?

The other issue is indeed, the power supply. According to our computer guy, he can get us a 500 power supply for $79....then put it in, install the graphics card and drivers and fix our sticky CD drawer for $25 labor. So $104 to get it all taken care of.

My son.......was given the option of downgrading the card to a 9800 series that could run on our computer or pay for the upgrade himself. He chose the latter. Good thing, b/c I'm pretty sure we can't return the graphics card we bought.

So.....I hope it's worth it for him. I just hope our computer is good enough to run the card up to it's potential. The computer guy was talking about the motherboard, external buses......and other stuff that was over my head. But he said it should be good.

Dee
MattDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 03:06 PM   #34
jkmetal

A 9800 what series? A nvidia card or an ati?
Old 12-12-10, 03:07 PM   #35
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDee View Post
You guys are so smart.

After reading all your replies, I took our computer to a guy who has worked on it before.....that card is indeed a wireless card. According to him, we don't need it. We have DSL and a modem connected to our computer on the back. So we should just be able to take it out, correct?

The other issue is indeed, the power supply. According to our computer guy, he can get us a 500 power supply for $79....then put it in, install the graphics card and drivers and fix our sticky CD drawer for $25 labor. So $104 to get it all taken care of.

My son.......was given the option of downgrading the card to a 9800 series that could run on our computer or pay for the upgrade himself. He chose the latter. Good thing, b/c I'm pretty sure we can't return the graphics card we bought.

So.....I hope it's worth it for him. I just hope our computer is good enough to run the card up to it's potential. The computer guy was talking about the motherboard, external buses......and other stuff that was over my head. But he said it should be good.

Dee
I wouldn't be so quick to say we're so smart. I mean, just read some of the posts around here- we're a flippin' crazy bunch.

Smart move going for the new PSU. As to your computer being up to snuff- it should be fine. If he gets a larger monitor with some crazy high resolutions it might start to choke a little... but should still be okay.
Old 12-13-10, 12:41 AM   #36
gstanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDee View Post
You guys are so smart.

Dee
Just make very sure the tech is putting a good quality 500W power supply in there (the amps deliverable on the 12V rails are more important than the wattage rating) and not cheap or generic junk. The PSU is critical to system stability.

The CPU will be your biggest concern at only 1.8 ghz, but it is a quad core Phenom and as such it has 128 bit wide SSE instructions, so should not be too bad. The motherboard is supposedly socket AM2+ so you might be able to put an Athlon II or Phenom II 940 in there. talk to your tech guy. It would be fairly easy to pick up another socket AM2+ motherboard anyhow and reuse everything but the cpu to put a better cpu in if you wanted to. Again talk to your tech guy, he should know how to do it.

Primary rig:
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Cooler: Cooler MAster Hyper 212+
Motherboard Asrock z68 Extreme 4
Memory: 8gb Corsair DDR-3 1333
Video: 2x Galaxy GTX 670 reference 2gb
PhysX: Gainward GTX 460 SE 1gb
Video Capture: Compro E-700 DVB-T PCI-e
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
Monitor: Samsung 305T 30"
Case: Coolermaster stacker 830
Hard drives: 5x 500gb seagate SATA (non raid)
Burner: Samsung SH-S18L
OS: Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
MS Sidewinder Joystick
Logitech G25 wheel
Logitech 5.1 speaker system
gstanford is offline   Reply With Quote