Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-10, 08:45 AM   #25
Sean_W

Default Re: THE ELDER SCROLLS V ANNOUNCED (OFFICIALY)

How do you know what engine it's using?

If they're using the old engine then they just need to up the detail level. Fallout 3 turned out to be a better than I expected with very good object draw distance.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 08:51 AM   #26
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph

Yay!
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 11:02 AM   #27
ArrowMk84

After Fallout NV, I feel a lot better about the Gamebryo engine, as it was far more stable than it was with FO3 and Oblivion (and yes, its extremely aggravating that it took four games to get most of the bugs worked out...). That said, they better replace the animation engine and the graphics engine in general (its really showing its age). From a mod standpoint, while it has its quirks, its far easier to work with than Dragon Age or Mass Effect (Mass Effect mods? what are those?). Also, having the same engine since Morrowind has been a plus for the mod community, as it takes no time at all for the usually community tools (script extender, Oblivion/FO3/FNV Edit and the mod manager) to get ported to the latest game. I also expect to see a huge number of oblivion mods updated for Skyrim in short order.

The real problem now of days (based on FNV) is quest bugs. QA really needs to pay attention to that this go around.

Now, I am bias toward Oblivion and FO3/FNV over Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Don't get me wrong, I love ME and DA, and they are far more story focused, but they are also more restrictive in terms of gameplay (i.e class/skill mixing) and environment (multiple closed areas, some of which are only available at certain times) than Bethseda's games. I'm willing to put up with a lot more bull**** for an open world, go anywhere do anything type game than I am for a more restrictive experience. Oblivion and Fallout give the player near total freedom in the game world, and that incurs far, far more technical risk (and far higher bug counts) than games like DA and ME.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 11:41 AM   #28
newparad1gm

My excitement for this game is tempered by the fact that they are still using Gamebryo. However, a wiki lookup actually shows this engine is very versatile and has come a long way. Apparently even Morrowind used an earlier iteration of the engine, along with Sid Meier's Pirates and Civ IV and Dark Age of Camelot. So maybe if the jump is as big for Skyrim's version of the Gamebryo engine as it was between Morrowind and Oblivion, then there's hope yet (and probably new bugs as well).
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 12:06 PM   #29
Destroy

Meh seems to be my favorite word lately. Games of late do not impress me much lately, this trailer included.

My view would change considerably if I knew for fact that it was a PC designed game, not a console rooted one.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 01:02 PM   #30
Gregor976

All they need to do is use nice large textures to start with this time instead of waiting for enthusiasts to make texture packs themselves, and listen to gamers about interface/leveling issues.

How many of you guys that are complaining about the engine used any of the addon texture packs? It looked like a different game with those. Those texture packs helped distant terrain look more natural and close up textures were 10x better looking.

If the engine is updated with physx, tessellation etc... and some of the clipping and other bugs were squashed, that would be alright too.

In some ways I liked Daggerfall better than Morrowind or Oblivion. I've played every elder scrolls game too. Arena, Battlespire, Redguard, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion. The java games don't count.

I'm looking forward to it. Next Christmas is a long time to wait and I can't remember offhand a single release that didn't take longer than their original announcement.
Gregor976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 01:15 PM   #31
mojoman0

goofy engine with crap hand to hand combat. We need Project Offset, or the fighting mechanics of Dark Messiah...
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 01:16 PM   #32
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor976 View Post
All they need to do is use nice large textures to start with this time instead of waiting for enthusiasts to make texture packs themselves, and listen to gamers about interface/leveling issues.

How many of you guys that are complaining about the engine used any of the addon texture packs? It looked like a different game with those. Those texture packs helped distant terrain look more natural and close up textures were 10x better looking.
Yes but those textures can take up gigabytes of extra space. I cannot see them shipping another DVD just for some extra textures for the PC.

Will the consoles spoil the graphics? Well Fallout 3 looked kind of mushy to me and I thought Oblivion looked better considering how old it is.

Old 12-12-10, 01:25 PM   #33
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlippo View Post
Sadly Bioware doesn't seem to be interested on doing RPGs anymore.
Although their Eroges seem to be a hit.
Dragon Age 2 looks and plays like ****.

But Oblivion wasn't any better.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 01:37 PM   #34
Gregor976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
goofy engine with crap hand to hand combat. We need Project Offset, or the fighting mechanics of Dark Messiah...
DM combat is alright. What do you think of The Witcher combat?
Gregor976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 01:39 PM   #35
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yes but those textures can take up gigabytes of extra space. I cannot see them shipping another DVD just for some extra textures for the PC.
Which is part of the reason while the graphics engine needs to be replaced with something modern, so you don't need those gigabytes of textures for the game to look good.

Quote:
Will the consoles spoil the graphics? Well Fallout 3 looked kind of mushy to me and I thought Oblivion looked better considering how old it is.
That wasn't a console issue - that was art direction. There are many mods that address lighting, weather and greenery for FO3, including removing that damn green tint from the game.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
ArrowMk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 01:53 PM   #36
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84 View Post
Which is part of the reason while the graphics engine needs to be replaced with something modern, so you don't need those gigabytes of textures for the game to look good.

That wasn't a console issue - that was art direction. There are many mods that address lighting, weather and greenery for FO3, including removing that damn green tint from the game.
Well yeah, you can use lots of shaders like Crysis but it doesn't scale very well. DXTC is old but it's a damn good technology and something developers just don't fully take advantage of. We should probably blame Microsoft, they brought S3 over 10 years ago and took S3TC technology and haven't improved it.

S3 where demoing 1024x1024 textures over 10 years ago.