Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-13-10, 10:57 PM   #1
thecozz21

Default Gettting a new graphics card

I'm getting ready to build a new gaming desktop and i cant decide which graphics card to get i have it narrowed down to two but im not sure which is more bang for my buck help would be greatly appreciated

Choice 1: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121363

Choice 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121391
thecozz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 12:32 AM   #2
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: Gettting a new graphics card

Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-10, 01:32 AM   #3
Redeemed

If I may, why the ASUS? I got a HIS 5770 for under $130 after MIR w/free shipping. Not sure what the HIS is going for currently. I favored the HIS due to the design of the HSF- it exhausts most the hot air out the back of your case. That ASUS is just gonna' cycle it back through the innards of the case with only a little making it out the exhaust. That'll heat up the ambient temp.

Really though, these cards run very cool as is so might not be worth thinking about- I always like to keep my components as cool as possible.

This is the one I got. Not quiet as cheap as it used to be... still a better buy IMO due to the cooling solution. Absolutely pleased with my card thus far.

However there's also this one, it'd barely be $120 after tax and shipping. Should run cooler than that ASUS- not by much likely but at least it wont heat up the innards of your case as much.

Depending on the tax/shipping for where you live that GTX460 comes to just shy of $220. Before MIR that HIS I just linked to will be about $150 shipped. After MIR it'd drop to $120. Question now boils down to- is the GTX460 worth $100 more?

Here's a 768MB GTX460 from e-VGA, lifetime warranty. It'd be about $192 shipped, after MIR only $162- far better buy than the ASUS you linked to imo. That extra 256MB framebuffer really isn't worth the extra $60 imo. Besides, the e-VGA does have better cooling.

So now to help narrow it down- what resolution will you be gaming at? What games are you looking to play? Are you obsessed with image quality? Do you have to have everything absolutely maxed? Since you're going with ~$200 cards I'm assuming you can be a little forgiving with image quality.

If it's any help, @ 1920 x 1200 I can play Crysis DX10 100% maxed in-game settings... no AA of course. Drop down to 1680 x 1050 it was playable for me with up to 4xAA... though I know some are more picky than I in regards to framerate. 2xAA @ 1680 x 1050 never once felt the least bit slow. Nothing in my rig is over clocked, I've got everything running stock.

Been a while since I played Metro2033, but DX11 all in-game options maxed save for that one DX11 DoF setting I believe. Think I was even fortunate enough to use a little AA (2xAA I believe, maybe more), @ 1920 x 1200. AvP DX11... 100% maxed in-game settings. I know I could use some AA just don't recall how much.

This is all with a 5770. That cheaper HIS I linked to for $120 after MIR would perform the same.

Now the GTX460 is no doubt faster, but it's not $100 faster. Not imo. The e-VGA would be a wiser buy if you had to go with a GTX460... question is do you need it? How long do you plan on keeping this rig? Will you be upgrading at least your GPU in a year or two?

If you're going to keep it for a while the GTX460 may be the better choice as it does considerably better with tessellation. We're only going to see that used more and more in future titles. So it'll be nice to have a card that'll age a bit more gracefully if you want this to last a while.

See, this was the exact situation I was in before purchasing my 5770. At the time I was running dual 8800GTXs and wanted comparable performance, significantly less heat output and much less power consumed. I very nearly bought the GTX460, but didn't. And I can honestly say I do not regret getting this 5770. However, I am planning a major overhaul for my rig come this time next year. By then both nVidia and AMD will have their 28nm cards out likely, and Intel's new high-end platform should be available. So I don't have to worry about this 5770 lasting me several years though honestly... I think it would. For under $150 after all is said and done well... it's one amazing card.

I know- long post. To help narrow down your options think of these questions:

*.) What resolution will you be gaming at?

*.) What games are you hoping to play?

*.) What is your preference regarding image quality?

*.) How long do you want to keep the card (when do you expect to replace it)?

Those four questions are a good starting point. Answer those and we'll be able to better narrow it down for you.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-10, 11:29 AM   #4
thecozz21

ok thanks for the advice and to answer your questions
1) as far as games i want to play Starcraft 2, M.O.H., Black ops, and a few older ones plus a couple mmo's but there are going to be some very high end games coming out in the next year or so Crysis 2, mass effect 3, ect. so i either want one that i know will be able to handle it or a cheep good one that i could double up on later easily

2) image quality and resoulition i just want it to look good no real specific setting

3) i want this rig to last a few years at least i dont want to have to replace some things every year if possible

if it would help i can put the specs for the build i am looking at up

oh and if there is any one with a intel retail edge account in good standing i want to know if thay would help me out with getting my processor which i am dead set and will not yield on in return i will get them the same one for free
Old 12-15-10, 01:50 PM   #5
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecozz21 View Post
ok thanks for the advice and to answer your questions
1) as far as games i want to play Starcraft 2, M.O.H., Black ops, and a few older ones plus a couple mmo's but there are going to be some very high end games coming out in the next year or so Crysis 2, mass effect 3, ect. so i either want one that i know will be able to handle it or a cheep good one that i could double up on later easily

2) image quality and resoulition i just want it to look good no real specific setting

3) i want this rig to last a few years at least i dont want to have to replace some things every year if possible

if it would help i can put the specs for the build i am looking at up

oh and if there is any one with a intel retail edge account in good standing i want to know if thay would help me out with getting my processor which i am dead set and will not yield on in return i will get them the same one for free
Well, really it does boil down to your expectations. Do you have a monitor for this rig already? If so, what is its native resolution? The higher it is, the more of a difference you'll see between the two cards. Crysis 2 will likely be the most demanding title out of all the titles you mentioned. However, running on the CryEngine3 it should be far more optimized than Crysis since it's going to be released for consoles.

Still kind of a hard call wanting it to last a few years... either choice is a bit of a gamble. nVidia has strong tessellation performance, that could come in handy down the road.

As to the retail edge... you're going for the i7 970 bundle? I was... but just too strapped financially right now, even at that awesome price.
Old 12-15-10, 02:23 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0 View Post
Fixed.
Old 12-16-10, 03:18 AM   #7
thecozz21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Well, really it does boil down to your expectations. Do you have a monitor for this rig already? If so, what is its native resolution? The higher it is, the more of a difference you'll see between the two cards. Crysis 2 will likely be the most demanding title out of all the titles you mentioned. However, running on the CryEngine3 it should be far more optimized than Crysis since it's going to be released for consoles.

Still kind of a hard call wanting it to last a few years... either choice is a bit of a gamble. nVidia has strong tessellation performance, that could come in handy down the road.

As to the retail edge... you're going for the i7 970 bundle? I was... but just too strapped financially right now, even at that awesome price.
So the nvidia would be the better choice based on what i want and expect?

no monitor yet i figured that would be best chosen last among other things

so do you have a retail edge if so i would be happy to pick up the cost of a second (its only like two something per shiped i hear) if you could order for me
Old 12-17-10, 11:33 PM   #8
thecozz21

if this helps here is the build so far suggestions would be great
tower: AZZA Hurrican 2000 CSAZ-2000 Black SECC Japanese Steel ATX Full Tower
motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366
Processor: Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
hard drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM
Primary cd/dvd drive: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner

Old 12-18-10, 02:45 AM   #9
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecozz21 View Post
if this helps here is the build so far suggestions would be great
tower: AZZA Hurrican 2000 CSAZ-2000 Black SECC Japanese Steel ATX Full Tower
motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366
Processor: Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz
Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
hard drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM
Primary cd/dvd drive: ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner
Okay, if you get a monitor with a native res of 1920 x 1200... the 5770 will likely be good for a year or so. As I've stated I can play every game I own maxed. Crysis 100% in-game options maxed, but no AA. Metro 2033 all in-game options maxed except Advanced DoF, but I can use some AA. AvP... 100% maxed w/ AA. BFBC2... 100% maxed with some AA. There aren't going to be any games coming out in the next year that I wont be able to max, at least that's how it appears to be shaping up. Not bad for a card that, shipped an after MIR was about $130.

Crysis 2... considering it's available on consoles, a heavily optimized engine, and going off of the latest trailers I've no doubt I'll be able to play it maxed as well.

If you jump up to the GTX460 I'd say for longevity go with a 1GB variant. Gonna' cost you more but you get the extra tessellation horsepower plus you'll have a large enough framebuffer for most games to be released in the next couple years.

Another option if you bump up into the GTX460 1GB price range, would be the Radeon 6850 or 6870. Both have a lot more tessellation power than the 5770, have 1GB framebuffer.

nVidia did silently release the GTX460 SE it appears. Has less shaders than the standard GTX460, but does have 1GB framebuffer. For the price that might be your card. Go with the e-VGA- lifetime warranty, free shipping, and only $139.99 after MIR. If this were available back when I was looking at 5770s and GTX460s, I'd likely have gotten the GTX460 SE. Should be a happy medium.

If you go with the standard GTX460 1GB with all shaders... that's gonna' put you near the $200 range. You might look into the Radeon 6850, or if you can spare and extra $50 then the Radeon 6870.

At this point it all boils down to you. Even if you go with the measely 5770, at 1920 x 1200 it should play any future titles well, likely for at least the next couple years. Like I said, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to play any title coming out within the next year maxed. After that I don't know, may have to start dropping some IQ settings. Or not. So far if I have had to sacrifice anything IQ related it's been AA. A faster GPU would help here, but so would a larger framebuffer. In short, anything from the Radeon HD5770 to the HD6870 (including all variants of the GTX460) will full-fill your needs. As for longevity that's hard to say. The Fermi based cards are stronger in tessellation, but that likely wont really be a benefit for another several years. By that time you'll likely have a new GPU I'd imagine.

Unfortunately we can't really make this decision for you. From what you described you'll be pleased with a 5770. But you'll also (and obviously) be pleased with anything above it as well. So it all boils down to how much money you feel like dishing out now. If you think you'll be buying a new GPU in 3 years or sooner, I'd say stick with the 5770 or GTX460 SE. If you would like to have more GPU power "just in case" then go with the GTX460, 6850, or 6870. In the "just in case" scenerio I'd urge you more towards the 6870 as that'll have the GPU and tessellation power for any game released in the next 3 years more than likely. This is a gamble and pure opinion yes, but look how long games have been DX9. I'm am *very* confident we will not see heavy use of tessellation until consoles can support. Same with PhysX and 3D. Until it's common on consoles it's not gonna' be heavily used in PC games. And we're probably a good year, if not two at least, till the next consoles come out. And a year after that till games are regularly pumped out properly utilizing their hardware. Which means at that time (up to three years from now at this point) we'll see more tessellation-heavy games.

Check some reviews. Consider what else you may use this computer for. Music creation? Movie editing? Might it benefit from more RAM? Why the velociraptor- why not an SSD? I'd probably recommend ditching the raptor as those are irrelevant with SSDs now. Get at least a 40GB SSD just for the OS- you'll notice a huge difference, trust me. Then a larger 500GB+ drive for storage of pictures, music, movies, games, apps, etc. 6GB of RAM should be good for a while... maybe consider 8GB or 12GB. It all depends on alternative uses for this computer.
Old 12-18-10, 02:57 AM   #10
Roadhog
Resident Alien

So, maxxed and 20 fps redeemed?
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 03:00 AM   #11
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
So, maxxed and 20 fps redeemed?
no- 5.

Haven't played it with fraps so I don't know my framerate. All I know is never was was the framerate so low it wasn't playable. My 8800GTXs never really dipped below 15 fps @ 1920 x 1200 @ Very High (DX 10, no AA) and this 5770 seems faster. I'd say 20fps is a fair minimum. With a max probably no higher than 45, average in the 30s. Really have no idea, this is all just how the game "feels" while playing it. Maybe I should run it with FRAPs just to see what I'm getting.
Old 12-18-10, 10:48 AM   #12
thecozz21

ok redeemed thanks for all the help i have decided to just get the one you use and save my self some money and if later on down the road i feel i need more power i can cross that bridge when i come to it lol thanks for all the help