Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-10, 01:56 PM   #1
technoid

Default Motherboard Southbridge Heatsink

I was upgrading a computer a while back and while removing the motherboard I accidently pressed on the southbridge heatsink and it broke loose. I put it away like that but I'm going to put it into a different system so I want to fix the heatsink. The question is, what type of termal compound do they use. This is an ASUS P5B-E motherboard. It has two plastic pins holding it but I was wondering if they used thermal compond or thermal tape. I haven't taken the motherboard out of the closet yet but I'm planning to build a new system to use as a home server so I'm gathering data on the best way to fix it. If I need thermal tape I'll need to order some.

In the end I guess it doesn't matter what I use to fix it with but I'm wondering if anyone knows what ASUS uses on the southbridge heatsink.
Old 12-17-10, 02:59 PM   #2
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd
Talking Re: Motherboard Southbridge Heatsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I was upgrading a computer a while back and while removing the motherboard I accidently pressed on the southbridge heatsink and it broke loose. I put it away like that but I'm going to put it into a different system so I want to fix the heatsink. The question is, what type of termal compound do they use. This is an ASUS P5B-E motherboard. It has two plastic pins holding it but I was wondering if they used thermal compond or thermal tape. I haven't taken the motherboard out of the closet yet but I'm planning to build a new system to use as a home server so I'm gathering data on the best way to fix it. If I need thermal tape I'll need to order some.

In the end I guess it doesn't matter what I use to fix it with but I'm wondering if anyone knows what ASUS uses on the southbridge heatsink.
I have no clue what the Asus boys would use. but use Artic silver , can't go wrong there.If you need to wire tie a 40mm/60mm fan on it . freezing
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-10, 02:31 AM   #3
technoid

Default Re: Motherboard Southbridge Heatsink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
I have no clue what the Asus boys would use. but use Artic silver , can't go wrong there.If you need to wire tie a 40mm/60mm fan on it . freezing
Thanks! I've got some Arctic Silver 5 so that's what I suppose I'll use. I just wondered since they have 2 plastic pins on the heatsink if they used some kind of thermal tape. I guess I'll find out what it is when I take the heatsink off.
Old 12-18-10, 04:57 AM   #4
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks! I've got some Arctic Silver 5 so that's what I suppose I'll use. I just wondered since they have 2 plastic pins on the heatsink if they used some kind of thermal tape. I guess I'll find out what it is when I take the heatsink off.
Yes, but be sure to take out the pre-applied thermal compound, and I'm not even gonna say 'paste' as it was a pinky solid substance in my case (when I had my first ASRock), it resembled more like bubble gum (literally!) than thermal paste but... wipe it out carefully and then... yeah... AS5 to the max!
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 08:17 AM   #5
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
Yes, but be sure to take out the pre-applied thermal compound, and I'm not even gonna say 'paste' as it was a pinky solid substance in my case (when I had my first ASRock), it resembled more like bubble gum (literally!) than thermal paste but... wipe it out carefully and then... yeah... AS5 to the max!
Yes. I always remove the old paste first. I have the two part cleaner made by them too. But good advice. If I remember I'll report back in this thread when I do the repair and let you know what mine looked like.