Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-09, 02:42 PM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: "Side-by-side" error...?

Well... sfc /scannow didn't fix everything, and I went to open up the CBS.log file in notepad and... wow, it's like near 40MB in size. I'd be here till the end of next week if I were to try and read that.

Think it's time to recommend a data backup and OS re-install...
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 10:07 AM   #14
JoyfulC

I'm also looking around today, trying to figure out what the heck a "side by side configuration" error is. My friend's system was acting up, and I checked it out over the weekend, thinking she might have picked up a bug again. (No chance of that since she was running THREE security programs -- Norton, Avira and CA -- sheesh!). I checked Events and found massive "side by side" errors.

Her problems included programs not opening properly. For example, in Firefox, her nav bar was missing. We were unable to load any new software onto the system, getting a configuration error message when we tried, and many Windows tools would not work at all. Scans showed no viruses or malware.

I set it back to a restore point in October, and that seems to have fixed the problem for the moment. I also removed two of the security packages off her system. For the time being, this seems to have done the trick, but I still have no idea what happened.
JoyfulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-10, 07:15 PM   #15
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulC View Post
I'm also looking around today, trying to figure out what the heck a "side by side configuration" error is. My friend's system was acting up, and I checked it out over the weekend, thinking she might have picked up a bug again. (No chance of that since she was running THREE security programs -- Norton, Avira and CA -- sheesh!). I checked Events and found massive "side by side" errors.

Her problems included programs not opening properly. For example, in Firefox, her nav bar was missing. We were unable to load any new software onto the system, getting a configuration error message when we tried, and many Windows tools would not work at all. Scans showed no viruses or malware.

I set it back to a restore point in October, and that seems to have fixed the problem for the moment. I also removed two of the security packages off her system. For the time being, this seems to have done the trick, but I still have no idea what happened.
If it happens again try uninstalling Microsoft Visual C++, reboot, and reinstall it. In a lot of cases I have found this fixes the problem.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote