Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-10, 03:00 PM   #13
hawkeyefan

Default Re: Captivate GPS

GPS on my Captivate is nails using any of the i9000 Froyo roms and modems. The latter of which add HSUPA capability on AT&T's network, btw. If you can't get a GPS lock you probably need to enter LBSTestMode with SGS Tools and double check that the SUPL settings are correct (supl.google.com and 7276). You then have to delete your GPS data and reboot the phone and you should get lock within a few seconds.

I routinely get 10 sats to lock on my location within 3 meters while sitting on the couch inside my house.
hawkeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 06:06 PM   #14
hawkeyefan

ha! just had three sats locked within 80ft while I was building a log cabin in the basement bathroom. That ain't bad.
Old 12-28-10, 06:53 PM   #15
betterdan

Like I said, mine locks a lot better now since the T Mobile update but the performance on it blows about as much ass as Oprah after eating some Wendy's chili.
Stop sitting around getting satellite locks and try using the GPS on the road

Going into the secret GPS settings and messing with the SUPL settings etc were first reported to help a long time ago after the phones came out but never really helped at all to be honest. In fact Samsung came out with an app to put these settings back to the default after people messed with them and found it didn't help. I tried changing it to google and it seemed to help for a few days but it went back to the same old crappy performance. The only thing that helped with the locks was the official fixed rom that came out a while back. The locking is still a little slow but it locks on a lot more sats when it does lock now. My issue is with the tracking when actually using the damn thing on the road.

The unofficial Froyo roms may make the GPs perform better though.
Old 12-29-10, 02:03 AM   #16
hawkeyefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Like I said, mine locks a lot better now since the T Mobile update but the performance on it blows about as much ass as Oprah after eating some Wendy's chili.
Stop sitting around getting satellite locks and try using the GPS on the road

Going into the secret GPS settings and messing with the SUPL settings etc were first reported to help a long time ago after the phones came out but never really helped at all to be honest. In fact Samsung came out with an app to put these settings back to the default after people messed with them and found it didn't help. I tried changing it to google and it seemed to help for a few days but it went back to the same old crappy performance. The only thing that helped with the locks was the official fixed rom that came out a while back. The locking is still a little slow but it locks on a lot more sats when it does lock now. My issue is with the tracking when actually using the damn thing on the road.

The unofficial Froyo roms may make the GPs perform better though.
Man, you should look into rooting and running some of the custom roms if your having performance that's that bad. I couldn't get lock for crap on the first two official roms for mine but it's been excellent since. I've been using all voice commands lately and it has been deadly accurate so far both in recognizing the commands properly and in navigation. the only problems I've notice are in the instance when I'm on a highway or major road and another road runs parallel within 100ft or so, sometimes Nav gets jacked and places me on the wrong road. My understanding is that has more to do with Google's beta nav software than it does with the hardware. AT&T Nav, TomTom, etc. all reportedly provide more accurate results but I'm too cheap to try any of them and Google has been getting me exactly where I want to go.

If it makes any difference, GPS has been great for me on 2.2 and 2.2.1. I've fooled around with 2.3 a couple times but haven't tried a build yet with working GPS though they're floating around now. GPS was not good for me on 2.1 for whatever reason.
Old 12-29-10, 07:42 AM   #17
betterdan

So I guess the unofficial Froyo roms didn't fix the GPS since you are having the same crappy performance issues.
I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for the official Froyo update (if it ever comes).

Voice commands are no problem.
The close together roads are exactly the problem I have. In my neighborhood the damn thing jumps around to streets like Oprah jumping on a sale at KFC. Pisses me off. My wife's Garminfone and our Garmin GPS is deadly accurate on these same roads. I know they were more meant for GPS but damn can't this phone at least stick to the road you are on? I haven't ever used another phone with google maps so not sure if it's Google Navigation causing this or not. I guess I could try using Google Navigation on my wife's Garminfone to test out that theory.
Old 12-29-10, 02:48 PM   #18
hawkeyefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
So I guess the unofficial Froyo roms didn't fix the GPS since you are having the same crappy performance issues.
I'm waiting and waiting and waiting for the official Froyo update (if it ever comes).

Voice commands are no problem.
The close together roads are exactly the problem I have. In my neighborhood the damn thing jumps around to streets like Oprah jumping on a sale at KFC. Pisses me off. My wife's Garminfone and our Garmin GPS is deadly accurate on these same roads. I know they were more meant for GPS but damn can't this phone at least stick to the road you are on? I haven't ever used another phone with google maps so not sure if it's Google Navigation causing this or not. I guess I could try using Google Navigation on my wife's Garminfone to test out that theory.
Yeah or do the reverse and see if something like Navigon or TomTom provides better results on your phone which is entirely possible.