Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-31-10, 04:52 PM   #49
Ghost girl
1.7% woodscrews.

Default Re: Accelero XTREME Plus for GTX 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Looking good! Were you able to use the same VR004 kit for the 580 or is another kit available for those?

Have to agree on the recommendation. It's been a few weeks on this for me and it never even breaks a sweat.
Its the VR004 kit, AC advertises it as being compatible with the GTX580, and it seems to work just fine. This thing moves some serious heat, I can feel my backplate and the heatsink getting hot, but its keeping board temps really low. A really well-made heatsink.
Ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 09:39 PM   #50
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost girl View Post
Its the VR004 kit, AC advertises it as being compatible with the GTX580, and it seems to work just fine. This thing moves some serious heat, I can feel my backplate and the heatsink getting hot, but its keeping board temps really low. A really well-made heatsink.
That's good news for 580 (probably 570) owners. This thing is a beast and well worth the trouble.
Old 01-01-11, 04:18 AM   #51
Ghost girl
1.7% woodscrews.

I only have two issues with the heatsink.

The chips indicated in red don't get coverage, the voltage regulator sinks raise above them and don't come in contact with them.

Additionally, if you have a backplate, it gets hot at sin. I don't remember my backplate getting anywhere near this hot using the stock heatsink.
Old 01-01-11, 09:53 AM   #52
grey_1

Quote:
I only have two issues with the heatsink.

The chips indicated in red don't get coverage, the voltage regulator sinks raise above them and don't come in contact with them.

Additionally, if you have a backplate, it gets hot at sin. I don't remember my backplate getting anywhere near this hot using the stock heatsink.
As near as I can tell it's identical to the way they sit on the 480 also. Hard to see, but there appears to be a slight gap. I'm thinking about trying to get my hands on some thermal tape today. The gap looks small enough that the tape would fill it and make contact on both sides.

I'm a bit nervous about trying to pull those heatsinks though - if they don't twist off pretty easily with a little heat I'll just live with it.

Oh, quick question if you don't mind - that's not your default voltage showing, is it? What was your default on your 580?

Thanks

EDIT: Found this thread.
http://www.overclock.net/nvidia-cool...l#post11802101

Scroll towards the bottom to the pic of the bare 580 - it looks to me like he may have put thermal tape on those chips, still hard to tell though.
Old 01-01-11, 01:58 PM   #53
Ghost girl
1.7% woodscrews.

My default voltage is 1.04. My GTX580 overclocks terribly, 945mhz is my max at 1.213v
Old 01-01-11, 04:35 PM   #54
grey_1

My 480 isn't much for overclocking either, although I haven't played with voltages that much yet.

Well, best of luck with your 580, I'm sure you'll still get some good solid gaming out of it.
Old 01-02-11, 04:50 PM   #55
Ghost girl
1.7% woodscrews.

We'll see how tough this thermal adhesive that came with the Accelero Xtreme Plus is in a few weeks, I'm RMAing my GTX580 because of bad caps, so I'll have to scrape the epoxy off the chips. Going to be using Arcticlean and Isopropyl alcohol to clean it off, I'll report back once my RMA request gets accepted and I revert my card to factory settings.
Old 01-02-11, 09:15 PM   #56
grey_1

Bad caps would certainly explain overclocking issues, best of luck with the new one.

If I get around to pulling mine apart before you do I'll report back also.

Old 01-03-11, 03:43 PM   #57
grey_1

Ghost girl - how did you determine you had bad caps? Games freezing/crashing?

I just created this thread at evga's forums...now I'm wondering about mine.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=771278

Hope I don't have to RMA

Thanks
Old 01-03-11, 06:24 PM   #58
Ghost girl
1.7% woodscrews.

Quote:
Ghost girl - how did you determine you had bad caps? Games freezing/crashing?

I just created this thread at evga's forums...now I'm wondering about mine.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=771278

Hope I don't have to RMA

Thanks
Capacitor whine when I'm on load, atleast I think it is. My RMA got approved, so we'll see.
Old 01-03-11, 08:36 PM   #59
grey_1

Quote:
Capacitor whine when I'm on load, atleast I think it is. My RMA got approved, so we'll see.
Ok thanks, good luck on the new card too.

I'm leaning towards a system ram issue now. Still bsoding and freezing up regardless of drivers, underclocking etc.

Be sure to show us what you can hit for an OC with the new one. I just may break and get one.
Old 01-04-11, 12:50 AM   #60
Ghost girl
1.7% woodscrews.

Quote:
Ok thanks, good luck on the new card too.

I'm leaning towards a system ram issue now. Still bsoding and freezing up regardless of drivers, underclocking etc.

Be sure to show us what you can hit for an OC with the new one. I just may break and get one.
I plan on posting my OC on here, and on the EVGA forum's very nice spreadsheet of GTX580 voltages and clock speeds.

Good luck with your system, mister. I just have to get a torx t6 and some arcticlean and this card will be going right back to EVGA.