Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-03, 10:08 PM   #1
Himo

Default nforce audio driver with kernel 2.6

I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe running gentoo linux with gentoo's version of the 2.6.0-test9 kernel. I love the stability (and the fact that the onboard firewire actually works with this kernel), but I can't seem to get the nforce audio drivers to install. I can try the drivers from the package on Nvidia's site, or the package from gentoo's database, but I keep ending up with the same error message in the following file compile...

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O -fno-strict-aliasing -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4 -DMODULE -DREMAP_NEW -c -o nvhw.o nvhw.c
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include/linux/irq.h:20,
from /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
from nvhw.h:31,
from nvhw.c:16:
/lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include/asm/irq.h:16:25: irq_vectors.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include/linux/irq.h:70: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)
In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include/linux/irq.h:72,
from /lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
/lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:28: `NR_IRQ_VECTORS' undeclared here (not in a function)
/lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-gentoo/build/include/asm/hw_irq.h:31: `NR_IRQS' undeclared here (not in a function)

...and then the makefile bails out. Since I'm not an experienced programmer in C, I was wondering if anyone out there can give me a hint as to how to resolve this problem (a fix without editing the file would be nice, but I'm happy with any help).

Thanks
Himo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-03, 10:09 PM   #2
Himo

I also forgot to mention, I have also tried using the integrated alsa drivers with the kernel, but those also did not work, so I'd rather stick to Nvidia's drivers.
Old 11-23-03, 02:29 PM   #3
Himo

nevermind, I was being stupid. I fixed everything with a simple "update-modules" command. This might not fix it for everyone, but just from looking at the different sound options, if you are ever using an A7N8X of any sort, stick to alsa through the 2.6 kernel. The sound just works better, and is easier to set up.
Old 11-23-03, 02:31 PM   #4
Himo

also forgot to mention, I just had to move a file in order for the drivers to compile, but I also had to play with some config files (you could look it up easily elsewhere if you don't know how) to resolve the sound. Like I said before, alsa is your friend. If you haven't installed it before, I suggest using gentoo's site's detailed explanation as to how to get it to work with your nforce board. go to google.com, type in gentoo alsa, and you can get the rest from there.