Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-31-10, 11:49 AM   #85
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default Re: THE ELDER SCROLLS V ANNOUNCED (OFFICIALY)

Eh, oblivion felt like a huge step forward. It felt like a serious overhaul to morrowind. FO3 and vegas just felt like an oblivion mod. Recycled a lot of the same sound effects, same subpar voice acting (though a tad better but not great), same buggy engine...

As I said though, the shortcomings are outweighed by what FO3 and oblivion do well but I just want something totally new that doesn't feel outdated, which fallout vegas does.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 12:18 PM   #86
Sean_W

Well, they said it will have a new engine so it should look and feel modern. FO3 and NV were just enhanced engines of Oblivion. I thought the view distance of FO3 was impressive anyway and thought Oblivion was ahead of it's time anyway.

Gothic 4 will take some beating though in regard to texture quality and lighting, since the caves in that game are the best I've seen yet in any game.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 04:11 PM   #87
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well, they said it will have a new engine so it should look and feel modern. FO3 and NV were just enhanced engines of Oblivion. I thought the view distance of FO3 was impressive anyway and thought Oblivion was ahead of it's time anyway.

Gothic 4 will take some beating though in regard to texture quality and lighting, since the caves in that game are the best I've seen yet in any game.
FO3 view distance was a joke

This is the ultra settings quality. It's as high as the game options will allow you to take them.

And this is after bumping the Ugrid distance from the default 5 up to 9.

For me to have to modifiy the INI file to get that is absolutely unacceptable by today's standards.

I hate to bring up the whole crysis bit here but even at the lowest settings in crysis, it draws SOOO much more objects into the distance than the gamebryo engine at the maximum in game settings all while doing so at a much faster frame rate.

This is the kind of stuff that really chaps my ass and shouldn't be tolerated by gamers. What the engine draws at ugrid distance of 9 or 12 SHOULD be what the engine draws when the distance slider is set to it's max value.

I'm sure the developers have their reasons for all that but to me, it seems like common sense. Ultra quality should strain my system.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
Old 12-31-10, 04:26 PM   #88
Sean_W

I said more impressive than Oblivion but not by today's standards clearly.
Old 12-31-10, 10:32 PM   #89
Viral
Registered User of Women

Wow, I remember FO3 drawing much more than that. Maybe just FONV was gimped?

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-11, 05:31 AM   #90
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Wow, I remember FO3 drawing much more than that.
Yeah, so do I.
Old 01-03-11, 08:25 AM   #91
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

As long as the game's PC user interface is actually functional pre-mods I'll be happy. Otherwise I'll wait for the community to fix the game for the developers like it did with Oblivion.

Still one of my biggest gripes with Oblivion and Morrowind was the leveling system. If you really wanted to maximize your character, it was required that you performed actions that you would never really do during normal gameplay. "Level Block and Blade 10 times each for 8 levels" etc is not fun at all, especially when the UI doesn't even give information about impending level ups. In Morrowind (a much better game IMO) this wasn't so bad because you could ignore this and just level and play the game like you wanted since NPC enemies didn't level up with you, but since Oblivion by default has enemies that outscale you if you aren't min/maxing, it was actually in your best interest to not level up too much. How counter-intuitive is that?

Fallout 3 completely avoided this problem and IMO is a very superior RPG experience. Fortunately Oblivion is playable with mods. I'd like a fully-functional and well-designed RPG out of the box though.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 12:01 PM   #92
Zelda_fan

Game Informer comes out tomorrow. Anyone know where I can get some scans at?
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-11, 12:06 PM   #93
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
As long as the game's PC user interface is actually functional pre-mods I'll be happy. Otherwise I'll wait for the community to fix the game for the developers like it did with Oblivion.

Still one of my biggest gripes with Oblivion and Morrowind was the leveling system. If you really wanted to maximize your character, it was required that you performed actions that you would never really do during normal gameplay. "Level Block and Blade 10 times each for 8 levels" etc is not fun at all, especially when the UI doesn't even give information about impending level ups. In Morrowind (a much better game IMO) this wasn't so bad because you could ignore this and just level and play the game like you wanted since NPC enemies didn't level up with you, but since Oblivion by default has enemies that outscale you if you aren't min/maxing, it was actually in your best interest to not level up too much. How counter-intuitive is that?

Fallout 3 completely avoided this problem and IMO is a very superior RPG experience. Fortunately Oblivion is playable with mods. I'd like a fully-functional and well-designed RPG out of the box though.
There were numerous NPC/enemy leveling mods for oblivion that made the game much more enjoyable in this area.

- Server -

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
Old 01-06-11, 07:23 PM   #94
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar View Post
There were numerous NPC/enemy leveling mods for oblivion that made the game much more enjoyable in this area.
ya but you want to be able to play a game decently right out of the box, this was a fundamental game flaw from the get go... besides the Oblvion mods I played that tried to fix the auto leveling were either buggy or had some obvious flaws to them...

Hopefully in this version there will be an option since there was such an outrage about how this was handled... personally it ruined the game for me, trying to work on your freaken shield blocking skillz since that was linked to improving endurance which increases your hp's .... block, block ,block, ya that's fun....

There were guys on the Oblivion forum that finished the game and killed all the end monsters and stayed level 1, some said it was easier to finish the game if you never leveled...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 09:59 PM   #95
de><ta
prodigy

The mighty sword Umbra, shall be mine again...

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 11:20 PM   #96
proliferazor
this won't hurt a bit

any day now (maybe today) game informer should arrive in peoples hands with Skyrim as its center piece with almsot 2 dozen in game screen shots (with the new engine) and 14 pages of juicy details! The veil is about to lift people!!!

more info

back cover cryptography spoiler

DOVahKiiN DOVahKiiN
NaaL OK ZIN LOS VahRiiN
Wah DeiN VOKUL MahFAERaaK ahST VaaL
ahRK FIN NOROK PaaL GRaaN
FOD NUST HON ZINDRO ZaaN
DOVahKiiN Fah HIN KOGaaN MU DRaaL

ahRK FIN KEL LOST PODRah
DO VED ViiNG KO FIN KRah
TOL FOD ZeyMah WIN KeiN MeyZ FUNDeiN
ALDUIN FeyN DO JUN