Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-11, 10:25 AM   #61
grey_1

Default Re: Accelero XTREME Plus for GTX 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost girl View Post
I plan on posting my OC on here, and on the EVGA forum's very nice spreadsheet of GTX580 voltages and clock speeds.

Good luck with your system, mister. I just have to get a torx t6 and some arcticlean and this card will be going right back to EVGA.
My daughter's friends are the only ones who call me "mister" any more

Looking forward to your results Ghost girl, I hope you get a cherry card for all your troubles.
Old 01-04-11, 05:37 PM   #62
Ghost girl
1.7% woodscrews.

If you get the AC Xtreme Plus, I noticed something that will greatly increase performance. Because of the open heatsink design, find a massive side fan (I use 250mm) and put a 140mm fan bottom intake. Both of them combined give about a 12C drop in load temps.
Ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 06:01 PM   #63
grey_1

Quote:
If you get the AC Xtreme Plus, I noticed something that will greatly increase performance. Because of the open heatsink design, find a massive side fan (I use 250mm) and put a 140mm fan bottom intake. Both of them combined give about a 12C drop in load temps.
Odd, that's exactly the config I tried but for a 230mm in the side. It may have to do with fan placement in the HAF 922's side panel, but I only saw about a 2c difference, so I pulled it back out just for the extra bit of quiet.

Of course, could also be CM's large fans aren't all that great..don't know for sure.
Old 01-04-11, 07:43 PM   #64
Ghost girl
1.7% woodscrews.

I've got the HAF932, the extra airflow could be whats lowering my temps so much. Before I was hitting 65~C in Heaven. Earlier it was running at 53C. Right now 58C right after running Linpack and Folding@Home, so my ambient is a bit higher than it should be. Still, less than before.
Old 01-05-11, 10:01 AM   #65
grey_1

Yeah, the HAF series is tough to beat for airflow. I would say my temps are higher (67c with furmark) simply because I keep the fans below 70% and I kept the side fan turning slowly to keep the noise down.

That said, My issues lately are now confirmed to be a ram issue, not my card, which is much easier (cheaper) to deal with, so I'll try overclocking again once my new ram arrives. I'd love at least 850 on the core to help out with the 3d gaming. If it winds up being a decent overclocker after all then I'll start working on the fans again.
Old 01-05-11, 06:22 PM   #66
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: Accelero XTREME Plus for GTX 480

Accelero XTREME is truly awesome. Put it on my GTX480 connected 12v molex, its so quiet i can't hear it at all. temps are about 50-60% better on load.
CPU downclocked to 4095mhz.

Old 01-05-11, 06:27 PM   #67
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
Accelero XTREME is truly awesome. Put it on my GTX480 connected 12v molex, its so quiet i can't hear it at all. temps are about 50-60% better on load.
CPU downclocked to 4095mhz.
That's sweet! I really hope mine turns out to be able to hit 850-880.

Just curious as to why you used the molex instead of hooking to the card? Less draw directly off the card?
Old 01-05-11, 06:31 PM   #68
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
That's sweet! I really hope mine turns out to be able to hit 850-880.

Just curious as to why you used the molex instead of hooking to the card? Less draw directly off the card?
Dunno wasn't sure how card/drivers will handle different speed fans or if it will have any effect at all ,i am probably over thinking but connecting molex was just sure way to get 100% fan speed They are so quiet that i don't see a reason not to.
Oh in the box there was an adapter Molex -> to min fan plugs (one 7v label) other one (12v).

Old 01-05-11, 06:33 PM   #69
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
Dunno wasn't sure how card/drivers will handle different speed fans or if it will have any effect at all ,i am probably over thinking but connecting molex was just sure way to get 100% fan speed They are so quiet that i don't see a reason not to.
Oh in the box there was an adapter Molex -> to min fan plugs (one 7v label) other one (12v).
Good point

I love this cooler, can't see any other option to beat this for the money.
Old 01-06-11, 01:01 PM   #70
Ghost girl
1.7% woodscrews.

Good news, everyone!

You are now reading this in my voice!

It turns out that the thermal adhesive has a tendency to stick to the metal of the heatsinks when you pry them off, rather than the plastic on the board itself, which makes for a very clean removal. For the parts that stick to the board, run over the IC's with some 99% isopropyl alcohol using a cotton pad, let it soak in, and use a toothpick to remove whatever is left. A toothpick is small enough to remove things precisely, hard enough to remove the thermal adhesive, but soft enough not to scratch the IC's or the board. Mine came off almost completely clean.

Good overclocking, Nvnews!
Old 01-06-11, 01:44 PM   #71
Redeemed

Quote:
Good news, everyone!

It turns out that the thermal adhesive has a tendency to stick to the metal of the heatsinks when you pry them off, rather than the plastic on the board itself, which makes for a very clean removal. For the parts that stick to the board, run over the IC's with some 99% isopropyl alcohol using a cotton pad, let it soak in, and use a toothpick to remove whatever is left. A toothpick is small enough to remove things precisely, hard enough to remove the thermal adhesive, but soft enough not to scratch the IC's or the board. Mine came off almost completely clean.

That's actually quite genious, using a toothpick. I've always just used the alchohol and cotton swabs/q-tips.

Think I'm gonna' employ some tooth picks from here on out.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-11, 06:28 PM   #72
grey_1

Quote:
Good news, everyone!

Very nice! thanks for letting us know!