Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-11, 04:02 PM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: this vs that

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
I was the one to comment about the slot thingy but I was just wrong, as didn't pay attention to what ended being an obvious Wikipedia misbehaviour, editor-wise, so... nah.

I guess we will still use lever-type sockets for a while
Likely.

However, think of this in regards to slot-based processors. A GTX580 or 6970 is a far faster processor in today's computing environment than even the best Intel or AMD has to offer x86 wise.

What interface do our GPU's use? The PCI-e slot. I think that we all get turned off by the notion of slot based CPUs because we instantly think of the large and clunky Slot A and Slot 1 based processors from AMD and Intel way back when. Doesn't mean they cannot be utilised effectively today.

However, I don't think we'll be going bacl to slot-based CPUs for quite some time. Likely, for the duration of the ATX-form factor's life we'll be socket based. Only once ATX is replaced will we likely see something different.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:08 PM   #26
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Likely.

However, think of this in regards to slot-based processors. A GTX580 or 6970 is a far faster processor in today's computing environment than even the best Intel or AMD has to offer x86 wise.

What interface do our GPU's use? The PCI-e slot. I think that we all get turned off by the notion of slot based CPUs because we instantly think of the large and clunky Slot A and Slot 1 based processors from AMD and Intel way back when. Doesn't mean they cannot be utilised effectively today.

However, I don't think we'll be going bacl to slot-based CPUs for quite some time. Likely, for the duration of the ATX-form factor's life we'll be socket based. Only once ATX is replaced will we likely see something different.
As long as everything that matters is on the CPU side of the slot it would be fine...
Old 01-07-11, 05:15 PM   #27
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Likely.

You're missing a big issue here. Pcie bandwidth is NOTHING compared to what a CPU needs. Pcie 2.0, 8GB/s, and 3.0 still only 16GB/s. While the cpu to memory bandwidth is 64GB/s. You would be severely bandwidth starved with slot cpus.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:19 PM   #28
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
As long as everything that matters is on the CPU side of the slot it would be fine...
I'm not sure I understand this- are you referring to bandwidth? If so, yeah that could be an issue to over come. here the socket approach does seem more effective and efficient.

However, looking at the massive ammounts of computational power easily being fed by PCI-e, I'm confident that a slot could accomodate the CPU.
Old 01-07-11, 05:24 PM   #29
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
You're missing a big issue here. Pcie bandwidth is NOTHING compared to what a CPU needs. Pcie 2.0, 8GB/s, and 3.0 still only 16GB/s. While the cpu to memory bandwidth is 64GB/s. You would be severely bandwidth starved with slot cpus.
Doesn't make it impossible. We're likely still thinking of the CPU itself residing on a PCB that fits into a slot. Why not the CPU itself plug into the slot- no additional PCB? Therefore the CPU itself connects directly to the mobo.

Of course, this would require the CPUs be designed differently, but still doable. Of course, not being an engineer I'll not be the one to overcome the bandwidth issue- I'm just confident it's fully possible.
Old 01-07-11, 05:30 PM   #30
Roadhog
Resident Alien

thats a lot of pins.. how would you physically fit all of them into a slot?
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 05:36 PM   #31
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
thats a lot of pins.. how would you physically fit all of them into a slot?
That would be another obstacle. At 1k+ pin count it's hard to accomodate for that.

However, the pins on a CPU are much finer than what you'd find on, for example, a graphics card, I'm sure with such small pins it'd be doable. But again, as a previously stated, would like require a redesign of the mobo layout straying away from the ATX form factor. If ever there was a time to introduce such a interface this would be it.
Old 01-07-11, 08:17 PM   #32
Viral
Registered User of Women

Argh, Bulldozer will NOT be using a slot and AM3+ CPU's are already confirmed not to work in AM3 mobos unfortunately. It's AM3+ so that you can use AM3 CPU's in the newer mobo... say if your old one dies and you can't upgrade your CPU just yet or something like that. There are certain barriers which prevent bulldozer from working in AM3.

If you want upgradeability with AMD now... buy C32 or G34 I guess.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-11, 11:33 PM   #33
ViN86

Quote:
If Sandy Bridge is available where he's at. He lives in South Africa, he may not be able to purchase a Sandy Bridge setup- or it may be rediculously expensive over there.

And AM3 motherboards will support AM3+ processor last I heard.
I thought it was AM3+ will support AM3, but not the other way around. Typically that's how backwards compatibility works.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 09:21 PM   #34
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I thought it was AM3+ will support AM3, but not the other way around. Typically that's how backwards compatibility works.
That's how it is this time around. Previously it has been different, like how you can still use AM3 CPU's in AM2+ boards if you have an up to date bios.

Anyhow, AM3+ boards should be available in a few months,

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:14 AM   #35
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand this- are you referring to bandwidth?
I was just talking about minimizing latencies due to placement of components on one side or the other .