Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-07-11, 08:46 PM   #37
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: nVidia Press Conference

I hate to agree here because I love my PC, but I think the assessment is right. PC's are probably on the way out in favor of smaller, more mobile parts. We've already been though the whole "bigger is better" phase in the US. Now, people are moving back towards much more sleek and efficient parts. Unfortunately, PC's aren't exactly known for efficiency. CPU's, by themselves, can use upwards of 130 watts (before overclocking). Now, we've got Graphics cards that use 300-watts or more. To put in perspective, my Acer laptop has a 65-watt power supply. The current technology on desktops is, in my opinion, sort of like a Hummer: Big, brutal, and not very environmentally friendly.

PC's do win on the customization front though. You'll probably never be able to fully customize a tablet down to the last component like you're able to do with a custom desktop PC.

This is going to become more of an enthusiast market than ever in the next several years. Unfortunately, that means that we may not have the options that we once had.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 11:19 PM   #38
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
I hate to agree here because I love my PC, but I think the assessment is right. PC's are probably on the way out in favor of smaller, more mobile parts. We've already been though the whole "bigger is better" phase in the US. Now, people are moving back towards much more sleek and efficient parts. Unfortunately, PC's aren't exactly known for efficiency. CPU's, by themselves, can use upwards of 130 watts (before overclocking). Now, we've got Graphics cards that use 300-watts or more. To put in perspective, my Acer laptop has a 65-watt power supply. The current technology on desktops is, in my opinion, sort of like a Hummer: Big, brutal, and not very environmentally friendly.

PC's do win on the customization front though. You'll probably never be able to fully customize a tablet down to the last component like you're able to do with a custom desktop PC.

This is going to become more of an enthusiast market than ever in the next several years. Unfortunately, that means that we may not have the options that we once had.
I have quietly been thinking the same thing myself these last couple of years. Personally I hope it doesn't happen, but i'm sure it will. Can't imagine gaming on a laptop ever unless it has at least a 22" screen. And even then, i'd want bigger.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 11:39 PM   #39
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
I have quietly been thinking the same thing myself these last couple of years. Personally I hope it doesn't happen, but i'm sure it will. Can't imagine gaming on a laptop ever unless it has at least a 22" screen. And even then, i'd want bigger.
There's always going to be a market for what we do here. But it's gonna' shrink. It'll be far more of an "enthusiast" thing- much more of a hobby than merely common piece of house hold electronics.

It's likely our options will shrink some, and prices may go up. The prices going up is likely what will help the market shrink. For example, if they went up too high, I'd have to ditch this hobby.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 11:43 PM   #40
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Right, it may not even be up to companies like NVIDIA at all. What happens when Microsoft makes a total paradigm shift in the way Windows looks, runs, and feels (for example, what if the way we interface with computers changes drastically, what if cloud-based storage really takes off, what if you "lease" processing time on a centralized computer network rather than your own, physical PC?), what then? These are probably questions that will be answered far down the road, but you certainly can't expect the PC as we know it to exist forever. As others have mentioned here, it has pretty much been the same for decades now. All good things end.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 01:33 AM   #41
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
There's always going to be a market for what we do here. But it's gonna' shrink. It'll be far more of an "enthusiast" thing- much more of a hobby than merely common piece of house hold electronics.

It's likely our options will shrink some, and prices may go up. The prices going up is likely what will help the market shrink. For example, if they went up too high, I'd have to ditch this hobby.
I see the future of the market in exactly the opposite way.

AMD and Intel basically have a 2 company monopoly on PC CPUs. Nvidia wants in badly but from what I understand even if they did purchase a company (if I remember correctly there were rumors of purchasing VIA awhile back) that can legally produce x86 processors the purchase of said company would negate that license to create x86 CPUs. It's a very anti-competitive market in many aspects.

Introduce ARM processors. While an ARM processor alone can't currently compete with an x86 CPU, if a company where to figure out how to harness the power of a GP-GPU in conjunction with an ARM processor now you're talking about a smaller computer with a smaller foot print and an enormous amount of processing power.

AMD didn't purchase ATI because they wanted into the video card market. They wanted the GP-GPU technology.

This would give us a whole new set of options. It may also give us a whole new view on what brute force hacking is as well.....

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 01:44 AM   #42
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
I see the future of the market in exactly the opposite way.

AMD and Intel basically have a 2 company monopoly on PC CPUs. Nvidia wants in badly but from what I understand even if they did purchase a company (if I remember correctly there were rumors of purchasing VIA awhile back) that can legally produce x86 processors the purchase of said company would negate that license to create x86 CPUs. It's a very anti-competitive market in many aspects.

Introduce ARM processors. While an ARM processor alone can't currently compete with an x86 CPU, if a company where to figure out how to harness the power of a GP-GPU in conjunction with an ARM processor now you're talking about a smaller computer with a smaller foot print and an enormous amount of processing power.

AMD didn't purchase ATI because they wanted into the video card market. They wanted the GP-GPU technology.

This would give us a whole new set of options. It may also give us a whole new view on what brute force hacking is as well.....
I think you're right, but consider this. High-end CPU's still only have transistor counts around 700-million. High-end GPU's are now nearing 3 billion transistors. High end GPU's also use more power than CPU's.

There's no doubt that GPU's are more efficient, but I think once they start merging (ala Fusion) we're going to see that small improvement in efficiency disappear. Now the market is going to start moving towards highly parallel code. Therefore, the market in CPU's is going to start to shift towards a lot of less powerful cores as opposed to a few very powerful cores in current CPUs.

And what has a lot of less powerful cores?... a GPU.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 01:59 AM   #43
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
I think you're right, but consider this. High-end CPU's still only have transistor counts around 700-million. High-end GPU's are now nearing 3 billion transistors. High end GPU's also use more power than CPU's.

There's no doubt that GPU's are more efficient, but I think once they start merging (ala Fusion) we're going to see that small improvement in efficiency disappear. Now the market is going to start moving towards highly parallel code. Therefore, the market in CPU's is going to start to shift towards a lot of less powerful cores as opposed to a few very powerful cores in current CPUs.

And what has a lot of less powerful cores?... a GPU.
Yes, "High End" GPUs use more power than CPUs but... you can still create a lower end GPU that uses less power than a CPU and yet still destroys a CPU when it comes to the specialized functions that it performs. Those functions are very specialized thus the need for something like an ARM processor to handle the rest.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote