Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-18-10, 02:31 AM   #1
mocharhw

Default 260.19.29, Twinview, VDPAU losing overlay presentation queue

I reported about this problem before with older drivers. I'll just be playing video files with mplayer using VDPAU and randomly VDPAU throws an error then I lose vsync on my secondary display which indicates to me that VDPAU is now using the blit queue. I have composite disabled in my Xorg.conf and there is no obvious reason to me why VDAPU is using blit. I've been using this same hardware for a long time without problems since the days of the 18x.xx drivers. The last drivers that worked properly with my hardware was 195.xx but now I'm on x server 1.9 so they're out of the question. The problem happens randomly and with random video files. Here is how I started my debugging, per the VDPAU troubleshooting sticky:

export VDPAU_TRACE=1
export VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG=3
mplayer FILE >mplayer.stdout.log 2>mplayer.stderr.log

Attached are the 2 mplayer output files along with nvidia-bug-report. It would be nice to know if this is hardware specific or a driver bug. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: gz mplayer_logs.tar.gz (19.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (69.1 KB, 70 views)
mocharhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-10, 12:28 PM   #2
BitJam

Default Re: 260.19.29, Twinview, VDPAU losing overlay presentation queue

I use VDPAU and Twinview with the 260.19.29 driver and composite disabled. I've got a GeForce 210 (GT218). I want to make sure I understand your problem so I can try to replicate it. When you *play* a video using VDPAU on your secondary monitor, you get these random errors but you don't get them when you play the video on your primary monitor. Is this correct?
BitJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 02:26 AM   #3
mocharhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitJam View Post
I use VDPAU and Twinview with the 260.19.29 driver and composite disabled. I've got a GeForce 210 (GT218). I want to make sure I understand your problem so I can try to replicate it. When you *play* a video using VDPAU on your secondary monitor, you get these random errors but you don't get them when you play the video on your primary monitor. Is this correct?
Nope. I get the problem at random. I'll just be playing videos using mplayer using vdpau and quite soon I get this. It doesn't matter what display the video is being displayed on.

Code:
VDPAU nvidia: Error detected 1 426 
VDPAU nvidia: Backtrace:
--: /usr/lib/libvdpau_nvidia.so [0xb3708000] DSO load base
00: /usr/lib/libvdpau_nvidia.so [0xb372d3bb] 
01: /usr/lib/libvdpau_nvidia.so [0xb37292f5] 
02: /usr/lib/libvdpau_nvidia.so [0xb37239fc]
I don't have any idea what this error is, however I do know that the result of this error is that vdpau vsync is lost on my secondary Twinview monitor. I assume this means that the vdpau overlay queue is not working because if I define the environment variable VDPAU_NVIDIA_SYNC_DISPLAY_DEVICE="TV-0", the vsync works on the secondary device. According to the nvidia docs, these facts lead me to believe that the vdpau blit presentation queue is being used. The only way to get everything back to normal is to restart X, but the problem always comes back very soon after playing videos again.
Old 12-20-10, 08:01 AM   #4
Lost Dog

Do you mean you start to randomly see tearing in the video? If so I've seen that too in all the 260.19.xx drivers! It makes me crazy to be watching something then having the top quarter or so of the screen start to tear away from the image!

I've not figured out why or a fix. Sometimes a restart of gdm works and sometimes a reinstall of the drivers works. I can't duplicate it at will and it just starts happening.
Lost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 02:31 PM   #5
mocharhw

My problem is reproducible, it all starts with that 426 error. The randomness is that the error pops up at random shortly after rebooting and starting to play videos. When VDPAU is using the overlay queue it vsyncs to both Twinview monitors. So I assume something is happening to make it revert to the blit queue. I don't know how to verify that.

A good starting point would be to know what "Error detected 1 426" actually means!

The last driver that worked properly was the 195.xx series. I can't use that series anymore due to my distro having x server 1.9, unfortunately.
Old 12-25-10, 07:39 PM   #6
BitJam

I've been watching a lot of blurays and dvds and I don't notice this problem. It is still not clear to me how you notice you've lost vsync on your secondary display when you are playing videos on your primary display.

I looked in your nvidia-bug-report and saw that you are using GeForce 9500 GT. I kept getting tearing issues with my 8400 based card so recently I upgraded to a GeForce 210 (for $20 after rebate). Tearing is no longer a big issue for me. One thing I noticed is that I got more tearing in blurays with a lot of action than in dvds or blurays with less action on the screen which led me to suspect my 8400 didn't have enough horsepower for bluray VDPAU. Since you are using the latest drivers, you might want to try running:
Code:
$ nvidia-smi -a
while you are using VDPAU. It will tell you how much GPU and memory are being used on your card.

The Nvidia README says your card, the GeForce 9500 GT, only implements VDPAU feature set A, which is the same as my 8400. The 210 based card implements the full feature set C.
BitJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 12:23 PM   #7
Stephen Warren

It looks like there are two bugs here:

1) When playing video files with MPlayer, you randomly experience problems.

If this is truly random, the most likely cause is some HW issue in your computer (e.g. perhaps a flaky power supply, or bad RAM).

If you can reproduce this problem at the exact same position of a specific video, please upload that file to the NVIDIA filedrop (see VDPAU sticky forum post) and we'll investigate that.

2) Only after the above has happened, you start seeing error "1 426" right when you start MPlayer (or perhaps if you have a recent MPlayer which recovers after certain VDPAU errors, you'll also see this soon after the initial error above within the same MPlayer instance).

This indicates that VDPAU is attempting to set up the overly presentation queue, but cannot, for a specific internal reason. We will try to reproduce this and fix it.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 01:49 PM   #8
mocharhw

I hadn't really considered a hardware failure in my box since I've been using this setup for a while and didn't start having this problem until x server 1.9 and nvidia 260.xx. Coincidence? However, I will run memtest tonight for awhile and let you know the result. If it was a memory or PS problem I assume I would be seeing hard lockups under Linux, and I do push this box hard with lots of multimedia uses.

I recently checked the motherboard and video card for blown capacitors and didn't see any.

The problem(s) is not reproducible on any specific video file, nor at a specific position within any video file.

I'm using an mplayer compiled on this box from svn in Nov. I will compile a fresh version tonight and let you know if there is any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
You start seeing error "1 426" right when you start MPlayer (or perhaps if you have a recent MPlayer which recovers after certain VDPAU errors, you'll also see this soon after the initial error above within the same MPlayer instance).

This indicates that VDPAU is attempting to set up the overly presentation queue, but cannot, for a specific internal reason. We will try to reproduce this and fix it.
Can I do anything to help you here?

Old 01-05-11, 02:59 AM   #9
mocharhw

I compiled a current svn mplayer, no change in behavior. Still getting the 426 error a short time after rebooting. Also ran memtest for awhile, no errors.
Old 01-08-11, 02:25 AM   #10
mocharhw

Just wanted to add that I also get the corruption shown in post http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=28 on occasion. Again it is a random event, and not related to any one video file.