Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-08-11, 01:22 PM   #1
ViN86

Default Verizon iPhone Coming 1/11/11

Well, according to the Wall St. Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000....html?mod=e2tw

Quote:
The iPhone is finally coming to Verizon Wireless.

The largest U.S. wireless carrier will make the long-awaited announcement at an event Tuesday in New York City, a person familiar with the matter said Friday.

The move will for the first time let U.S. consumers choose the network that carries their iPhone and perhaps give them additional pricing options that could affect their monthly bills.

It will also upend the balance of power in the industry, ending Verizon rival AT&T Inc.'s exclusive hold on the device and leaving smaller players like Sprint Nextel Corp. and T-Mobile USA facing two well-capitalized competitors offering the world's most popular smartphone.

It wasn't immediately clear when Verizon would have the device in stores.

The Verizon phone will be similar to the iPhone 4 but run on the carrier's CDMA technology, people familiar with the matter have said.
Looks like the device will only be 3G. Epic fail IMO, considering the release of Verizon's 4G LTE network. I think it's too little too late to be honest. There are many better devices out there and many more 4G phones on the horizon. Apple will gain some customers from moving to Verizon, but I don't think they will ever take back the crown from Android.

Here Magus, this is what the Wall St. Journal reports:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall St. Journal
IPhone users have long complained about dropped calls and poor service on AT&T's network, even as the carrier boosted spending to improve coverage. A Consumer Reports survey last month ranked Verizon's network as most reliable among the major carriers and AT&T's as the worst.
They go on to predict 1-3 million lost subscribers due to the release.

They also claim that the iPhone announcement will overshadow the 4G network announcement (which has already been touted in commercials). I don't know if that's necessarily the case.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 04:00 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: Verizon iPhone Coming 1/11/11

Interesting. No one cares...
Old 01-08-11, 04:10 PM   #3
Roadhog
Resident Alien

no one cares.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 04:12 PM   #4
ViN86

I'm not really surprised lol.
Old 01-08-11, 04:23 PM   #5
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
no one cares.
+1. Too late to even matter now. Android is the thing nowadays.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 04:30 PM   #6
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Android still needs a lot of polish and developers still look to iOS for revenue, but this is one of those "meh" announcements, primarily because I think everyone expected it.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 05:51 PM   #7
Bearclaw

Don't threadcrap guys. If you don't have anything constructive to say then don't post anything.

I agree, it is WAY too late. Look at OSX, etc. They limit themselves in so many ways and I don't think it's wrong to say that's a key factor in their marketshare. I mean, ONE phone has had iOS on it. Android... ?? I honestly don't know off the top of my head. 50ish? Maybe more? Just guessing...

And while Android is amazing, it does need polishing, but so does iOS. No O/S will ever be perfect. What it comes down to is simply a preference. I think it's great that they are starting to expand to multiple carriers, though.
Old 01-08-11, 06:01 PM   #8
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Don't threadcrap guys. If you don't have anything constructive to say then don't post anything.

I agree, it is WAY too late. Look at OSX, etc. They limit themselves in so many ways and I don't think it's wrong to say that's a key factor in their marketshare. I mean, ONE phone has had iOS on it. Android... ?? I honestly don't know off the top of my head. 50ish? Maybe more? Just guessing...

And while Android is amazing, it does need polishing, but so does iOS. No O/S will ever be perfect. What it comes down to is simply a preference. I think it's great that they are starting to expand to multiple carriers, though.
It's not threadcraping, we have known that verizon was getting the iphone for MONTHS...
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-11, 06:02 PM   #9
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
It's not threadcraping, we have known that verizon was getting the iphone for MONTHS...
Yes we have. No reason to say no one cares, though.
Old 01-08-11, 06:08 PM   #10
bacon12

iPhone is for ghey men and women. For everything else there is android.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 06:51 PM   #11
betterdan

I don't have a problem with no one caring. I don't care my damn self.
Old 01-08-11, 08:16 PM   #12
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

As much as my wife loves her Droid 1, she will probably be upgrading this April to an iPhone. It's bad when I have to root her phone and use a custom ROM (Ultimate Droid) for it to work the way it's supposed to: fast. Even as much as liberating as it is that I can even put a custom ROM on my phone (the whole "more choice" arguement), it's a pain sometimes to have to continually work on it. Jussayin.

But good news for us who refuse to use AT&T's crappy network.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote