Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-11, 01:59 PM   #25
artem

Default Re: Bug Report: Hard crash (freeze) with nVidia GTX 460

It seems like everyone subscribed to this topic is having hardware (not drivers/linux related) issues.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 07:02 PM   #26
Loafers

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
It seems like everyone subscribed to this topic is having hardware (not drivers/linux related) issues.
i find your post to be unhelpful and inflammatory.

gtx 460 worked flawlessly for ~6 months on my new computer that ran windows 7 64 bit. it was only when i switched to linux did i start getting the hard freezes and crashes.

so yeah, i'd say its reasonable to assume the problems are related to the driver and linux.
Loafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 03:51 AM   #27
zeb

I also experience complete lockups on an i7 870, GTX 260, with kernel 2.6.37 under Arch and nvidia 260.19.29. The lockups occur quite frequently, especially when using mplayer or watching Youtube videos on Firefox. If I downgrade to 2.6.36 kernel (2.6.36-3 in Archlinux) then no problems at all. It seems this issue is dependent on the chipset/kernel/nvidia combination, and does not leave any trace in the logs, unfortunately.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 05:25 PM   #28
longshot

I was having the same problem with a 460. Gentoo, sane/simple gcc flags etc. No problems with a 9600 which I plugged back in. Issue most likely hardware in my case as it similar problems under Windows (which still could be drivers though). Card was replaced by vendor (Gigabyte) but havent plugged it in just yet (on holidays ).
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 01:02 PM   #29
elvanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafers View Post
i find your post to be unhelpful and inflammatory.

gtx 460 worked flawlessly for ~6 months on my new computer that ran windows 7 64 bit. it was only when i switched to linux did i start getting the hard freezes and crashes.

so yeah, i'd say its reasonable to assume the problems are related to the driver and linux.
+1, this is exactly the same for me (and in addition, no freezes when running the Nouveau drivers).

Could an nVidia engineer look at this ?
elvanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 03:09 AM   #30
mondragor

Just registered in order to add myself to this list.

Ubuntu 10.10
Kernel 2.6.35 (and several others before)
MSI GeForce 460 GTX 768MB AND MSI GeForce 460 GTX 1024MB
Intel Core2Duo E8500

Symptoms: Same as described by the other posters. Runs for some hours, sometimes some days, then freezes and plays a soundloop of the last 0.1-0.2 seconds endlessly. Only hard reboot helps, the system is not reachable via LAN anymore. Sometimes no freeze occurs for several days, sometimes I get three freezes in one hour.
The problem seems to occur mostly when playing videos or copying large amount of data, but not exclusively. May also be incidental, however.

When my 9800GTX died on me (unrelated), I first bought the 1024MB version, got the same error and sent it back immediately. Since MSI didn't find a 9800 anymore, they gave me the 768MB version as a replacement instead - same problem, so I doubt it was a hardware error of the GPU.
I then borrowed Win7 from a friend and tried it on a fresh windows install - same problem occured. So I rather think it is some strange hardware conflict than a linux driver problem. However, this is the first thread I found dealing with this exact problem.
(still hoping some mastermind finds the source of the problem)
mondragor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 03:27 AM   #31
elvanor

Hi mondragor!

This is definitely the same problem as me because you get the sound loop thing. I get that as well sometimes (or it may be all the time, but there is no sound playing sometimes so I can not know).

This is clearly not a hardware problem; you mention you have the same problem on Win7; this is the only difference from me, I dont get that on Win 7 but it may be because I rarely use Win7 so the problem did not (yet) manifest itself. It's true that sometimes it can run several days in a row without problems...

What is your motherboard? I have an ASUS P7P55D Deluxe, processor is an Intel Core i7 860. My PSU is an Enermax Eco 80+ (500 W).

I do hope someone finds the solution - it is really preventing me from fully enjoying this new system... still no nVidia engineers had a look at this. Let's gather as much information as we can, I can recap what we know so far:

* Complete lockup (no LAN etc), loops the last 0.1 sound seconds (on Linux)
* Not a Gentoo problem, happens in Ubuntu as well and other distros;
* Not a hardware problem (or if it is, there seems to be tons of defective GPUs...)
* Seems to also happen on Windows 7 (not for me but may be due to too short running periods in my case)
* Does not happen with Nouveau (or maybe much more rarely, I did not have it in maybe 2 weeks of running with Nouveau)
Old 01-17-11, 04:13 AM   #32
drhirsch

For me this sounds exactly like a hardware problem.

Reason: It does happen on different OSes and drivers, only common fact is "it's a 460". So it's likely related to this fact.

It may be only occuring if the GPU does get some load, which will most likely not happen with noveau. Did you try some stress tests?

Furmark does run with wine under linux. Even better is the GPU test from OCCT (http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/), which able to count errors on your GPU.
drhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-11, 04:17 AM   #33
egon2003

I have this problem as well, GTX 460 1GB.

Has never happened using Windows 7. Almost everytime it happens for me I am resizing a mplayer window. I am using vdpau. If I dont play videos my system does not hang I believe.

I am using kernel 2.6.37. Core i7 920, Asus p6t deluxe v2, 12G RAM, 850W Corsair PSU
egon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 04:20 AM   #34
elvanor

It may be an hardware error, but it is then probably present on *all* 460 GPUs (mondragor tried replacing his card, replacement exhibited the same behavior); what I mean is that is not related to a particular, faulty, card.

I only ran Video Memory Stress so far (on Windows). I can try the others you mentionned, but not sure it will give some results; the problem is definitely hard to reproduce.

I do agree that the fact that it does not crash under Nouveau may come from Nouveau not fully using the card (no 3D etc).
Old 01-17-11, 08:31 AM   #35
mondragor

Actually this happened for me exactly once in Windows, as I was only trying to test if the error occured at all. Afterwards I stopped trying and killed Windows again

My motherboard: MSI P45 Neo2-FR
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E8500
RAM: 4GB 2x2048MB DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL5 Kingston original
PSU: Enermax Liberty ECO II 500W

Dr. Hirsch, I agree that this is probably due to some hardware issues (i.e. some exotic conflict); however, since I am happy that I found someone to share my pain, I continue posting in this thread for the time being ...

About the stress test issue: I can run the GPU at high load for hours without anything happening (3D games on 1920x1080), and a short time later, it freezes while i surf the internet; actually most of the crashes occur at very little load. Up to now, I did not find a real connection.

Some things I've tried (most due to some topics in different forums which sounded promising):
- Changing the load settings in the NVIDIA tool from adaptive to high (or low)
- Disabling the NVIDIA HDMI sound (thought it conflicted with my onboard sound in some way)
- Running Windows 7
- Updating / downgrading kernel
- Updating / downgrading NVIDIA drivers
Sometimes I thought I had it, only to find after some days that the system froze again out of the blue.

What I was thinking of doing:
- Exchanging the PSU. Problem is, I don't have another one. I actually ordered a 620W PSU, but canceled the order after thinking I solved the problem (I was mistaken, of course). 500W should be enough, but I wanted to at least eliminate the PSU as cause)
- I will try a Geforce 260 which a colleague can lend me. Actually this is some kind of capitulation as I might swap cards with him (although I guess I won't stand a 260 in my extra silent system). But still I have some hope that together we may identify the root of the problem.

OK, that was kinda long, I guess ...
mondragor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 11:29 AM   #36
elvanor

mondragor, what's funny is that our problems are really identical. Definitely someone to share the pain with
Myself too several times I thought I fixed the problem, only to find out a day later that it still crashed. Also, when I run heavy games (starcraft 2 at max settings on Win7; war3 via Wine on Linux), sometimes for several hours, it does not crash at all, mostly it crashes while browsing the net and moving the mouse on the browser... same as you too.

We have almost the same PSU (500 W in both case). If you exchange yours for another more powerful one, please tell me if it fixes your problem