Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-01-11, 08:27 PM   #1
Phlogi

Default No hdmi sound output (pcm) - out of ideas

Hi there

I'm trying to get sound output over hdmi connection without any success. I'm totally out of ideas as I tried it with openelec.tv and a xbmc live system. All the time I never heard anything. I tested with speaker-test and mplayer. I tried stuff from the guide here: http://breden.org.uk/2010/09/30/shut...a-beta-2-live/, http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157347 and also from xbmc wiki:

-different settings of asound.conf (however afaik this does not affect speaker-test -D plughw:X,Y -cN)
-options for the snd-hda-intel module
-unmuting
-different input channels of my receiver
-different nvidia driver versions

Here are my specs:
  1. [card: (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU ION (GT218) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)[/*]
  2. NVIDIA Driver Version: 260.19.29[/*]
  3. kernel: 2.6.36-ARCH[/*]
  4. alsa: 1.0.23[/*]
  5. Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver using hdmi 1.4 cable[/*]

Code:
aplay -l                                                                                                                                  
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****                                                                                                                      
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]                                                                                           
  Subdevices: 0/1                                                                                                                                                
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0                                                                                                                                     
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]                                                                                                 
  Subdevices: 1/1                                                                                                                                                
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]                                                                                                 
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]                                                                                                 
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]                                                                                                 
What I noticed is that dmesg does not show any hdmi hotplug event, something like: "HDMI hot plug event: Pin=5 Presence_Detect=1 ELD_Valid=0"

So I thought maybe you arch linux people have some creative ideas what the problem is here?

PS: It can't be the hardware because it works with windows7.
Phlogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 12:52 PM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: No hdmi sound output (pcm) - out of ideas

Phlogi,

You need to use the NVIDIA binary driver to get HDMI audio working.

Please look at /proc/asound/card1/eld*. If there is valid audio information there, the driver components are working OK.

You can test with:

speaker-test -c 2 -Dhw:1,3
speaker-test -c 2 -Dhw:1,7
speaker-test -c 2 -Dhw:1,8
speaker-test -c 2 -Dhw:1,9

(This all assumes that your GPU is ALSA card #1. If not, replace card1 with cardN, where N is your card number, in the /proc filename above, and hw:1 with hw:N in the speaker-test command-lines)

Also, run "alsa-mixer -c 1" and make sure everything is unmuted.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 06:30 PM   #3
artem

alsamixer
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 12:41 PM   #4
Phlogi

I'm using the nvidia driver, as you can see in the version I stated. I tried beta and stable drivers. Of course I did speaker test for all possible hw outputs. Still no sound.

Here is the output from /proc...:

Code:
cat /proc/asound/card1/eld* | wgetpaste                                                                                                                                
Your paste can be seen here: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/314764/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Phlogi,

You need to use the NVIDIA binary driver to get HDMI audio working.

Please look at /proc/asound/card1/eld*. If there is valid audio information there, the driver components are working OK.

You can test with:

speaker-test -c 2 -Dhw:1,3
speaker-test -c 2 -Dhw:1,7
speaker-test -c 2 -Dhw:1,8
speaker-test -c 2 -Dhw:1,9

(This all assumes that your GPU is ALSA card #1. If not, replace card1 with cardN, where N is your card number, in the /proc filename above, and hw:1 with hw:N in the speaker-test command-lines)

Also, run "alsa-mixer -c 1" and make sure everything is unmuted.
Phlogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 12:55 PM   #5
primerib

Don't know if this will help you but my /etc/asound.conf is:

pcm.!default {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:1,3"
}
}

And the hw:1,3 comes from aplay -l for my nvidia hdmi audio device:

card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 0/1
primerib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 12:07 PM   #6
Stephen Warren

Phlogi, primerib, are you the same person (I'm trying to understand if primerib's asound.conf has any relation to Phlogi's problem or not?)

The root cause of Phlogi's problem is that there is no ELD/EDID information available to ALSA, so it doesn't believe the HDMI device supports any audio features. This is indeed most likely related to the missing hotplug messages in dmesg.

Can you please provide an nvidia-bug-report; that might provide some clues. Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote