Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-30-10, 01:21 AM   #1
Lyme

Default PS3 security hacked

PS3 security hacked
http://psgroove.com/content.php?581-...Videos-Within&

It took longer than the others, but with everything it was just a matter of time.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 02:15 AM   #2
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: PS3 security hacked

I don't enjoy seeing products broken or software pirated, but I think Sony deserved this. They included Linux availability with the original OS, and then they removed support for it. Now, it can be used again after this.

I don't have any use for this sort of thing, but this sorta seems like payback, and I'm not opposed to it either.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 10:34 AM   #3
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎

It gonna take few year since it's gonna be as popular as pirating on Xbox 360.

Short message for my comrades: 游戏机都死了
Old 12-30-10, 11:28 AM   #4
|MaguS|

We'll see. They have yet to actually release any evidence and even then they claim its unpatchable and a sloppy security on Sony's end yet the no one figured this out in 4 years? I call BS and think Sony has a backup, remember the PSJailbreak was suppose to be unblockable also.
Old 12-30-10, 02:53 PM   #5
LurkerLito

After going through the conference footage, this is a big deal and also not a big deal yet. It's a big deal because they now have complete access to the lv2 of the PS3. This means they can easily replace the GameOS with Linux because they can just sign the executable with Sony's private key and the system will never be able to tell that it wasn't Sony that made it. But this does not apply for piracy purposes because as it was said in the conference they did not attempt to get the private keys for the GameOS level of the PS3. Only if that happens will piracy become quite trivial to do.

Though it is interesting before it was lvl2->GameOS->OtherOS as the sequence for the security chain. Now it's lvl2->AsbestOS as the sequence so now linux or whatever that is running has even more privileges than OtherOS.

So the only thing remaining is to see if Sony blundered the GameOS signing stuff or not. If Sony didn't do the same idiotic thing as they did with the lvl2 code (int GetRandomNumber(){return(4);} LOL) in GameOS then they should still be OK. But if they did the same thing they are screwed.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 12:49 AM   #6
Lyme

Article and video showing proof of concept http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/g...ows-to-fix-vi/
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 09:04 PM   #7
FearMeAll

It's real. And it is playing games as of today.. That's all I have to say....
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 09:49 AM   #8
ViN86

It would be very cool if they could enable Linux again with hardware graphics enabled. I'd love to be able to run Linux on my PS3 and play games inside Linux too. It'd be awesome to run some Quake 3 games in Linux on PS3.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-11, 11:01 AM   #9
Vardant

I'm baffled by the number of people trying to defend Sony's right to "kill" your console if they find anything like this running. It's almost everywhere and I can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking.

Some even go as far as saying you are leasing the console...the sheer stupidity of that is mind blowing.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 11:14 AM   #10
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
It would be very cool if they could enable Linux again with hardware graphics enabled. I'd love to be able to run Linux on my PS3 and play games inside Linux too. It'd be awesome to run some Quake 3 games in Linux on PS3.
Even better... how about recovering the ability to run PS2 & PS1 games?

Let's let piracy aside, just... recovering what you initially (and supposedly) paid for... or was there some kind of hardware bits lost in the new Slim model? (I would like to think... not).
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 12:13 PM   #11
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
I'm baffled by the number of people trying to defend Sony's right to "kill" your console if they find anything like this running. It's almost everywhere and I can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking.

Some even go as far as saying you are leasing the console...the sheer stupidity of that is mind blowing.
Yeah I say instead they should have the ability to kill the RSX within it, lose the right to play games... the console will still work but you can nolonger play games on it since you never bought the games to begin with.
Old 01-14-11, 12:15 PM   #12
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
Even better... how about recovering the ability to run PS2 & PS1 games?

Let's let piracy aside, just... recovering what you initially (and supposedly) paid for... or was there some kind of hardware bits lost in the new Slim model? (I would like to think... not).
The PS3 lost BC when they removed the PS2 chips from the console to save money... PS2 can only return in full emulation now and it would never run as smooth as it would on a PS2/PC or first PS3s.