Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-11, 03:07 AM   #13
bacon12

Default Re: Netflix Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I've made a few changes in my life recently and one of them was to "go legit" on how I got my movies and home entertainment. So, I decided to sign back up for Netflix (it's been a few years) since it was the popular choice. I was real surprised at the selection Netflix had online, both what I could watch on my laptop/PC or order on DVD via mail.

Wifey wanted to watch a movie earlier today and we decided to watch it on the home theater.

First attempt: Watch on the HTPC. I currently run the latest version of XBMC Live but quickly found that there was no free way of watching Netflix movies on XBMC. The only real solution is PlayOn and that costs money. No go.

Second attempt: Sony Blu-Ray Player. We've never used this BR player to watch Netflix so I was expecting that we could surf the Netflix library and watch any movie available that we could on the PC. No. You have to get on your PC, add movies to the "Instant Queue", then play it on the BR player. WTF?

Is Netflix really this un-developed? I really like the selection of movies and TV shows available to stream on my laptop, but why can't I do the same on my HTPC or BR Player? Setting this on my my BR Player is a little complicated for my wife since she was used to using the HTPC (pick a movie poster and hit Select to play the movie).

Is there something I'm missing here?

Just use a freaking web browser ya drama queen. If you must have some shiney movie interface windows media center has a plug in.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 08:41 AM   #14
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Just use a freaking web browser ya drama queen. If you must have some shiney movie interface windows media center has a plug in.
Thought I put in my OP that I run XBMC Live, Linux distro. Used to run Windows 7 but ran in some remotee and playback issues. Im surprised no one has created a plugin for XBMC yet . . .

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 08:45 AM   #15
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Have you tried updating your bluray player? You used to have to add movies to the instant queue on the pc and then bring them up on your xbox but an update changed that.

My parents new vizio razer led can also browse netflix with it's netflix app.

I LOVE streaming movies from netflix, sure it's not bluray quality, but it's instant gratification
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 08:57 AM   #16
ir123
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Except that sliverlight can't do HD realistically. I don't even know why they offer it on PC.
ir123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 09:13 AM   #17
technoid

When I had a Samsung player it was like your Sony, you had to pick all your movies on-line because that's the only ones that showed up in the Netfilx Que in the BD Player. My sister-in-law had an LG BD Player and it allowed you to browse the other catagories and watch movies from them and even add them to your on-line Instant Queue. So because of that I traded my Samsung player for an LG player. Luckily for me I was on the last day of the return time for Best Buy so I just exchanged the player. The LG Player I got was the BD570 and it's very nice. The whole home network experience is much better than the Samsung. I don't care much for their home menu but the LG BD570 does a much better job for home networking. You can browse any share from your home network. It does have a few quirks with what codecs it supports for a video file type (mkv / mp4) but none the less I really like it and look forward to the improvements they'll make on the 2011 models.
Old 01-16-11, 09:32 AM   #18
mullet

turn on HTPC/click browser/click movie/watch movie. On my 61" the streams look pretty good to me. The only gripe I have is there selection is weak for streaming.
Old 01-16-11, 10:02 AM   #19
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Why not try boxee?

As for your concerns, your rant is pointed wrong. It is not Netflix fault if a device can't browse their service. It's the device fault because Netflix does not control the apps like on iOS system. I use Netflix on my wii and iPod and it's a fantastic experience... Outside if the mildly weak selection.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 10:19 AM   #20
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Wow, apparently I am in the minority. I LOVE streaming netflix. Only way I watch movies now.

@six - What BD player do you have? I have the option to browse the website content from mine...
I love it too. One of my TV's has a default Netflix app while in the living room I can stream through either my PS3 or my HTPC.

I use my iPhone for streaming as well as putting together my queue's. Works like a charm

I really hope that there will be more and more streaming content as this year progresses, as a lot of items are still DVD/BD only or DVD/BD first.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-11, 10:46 AM   #21
|MaguS|

I like streaming netflix but I wish they offered more recent releases through it.
Old 01-16-11, 11:45 AM   #22
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I like streaming netflix but I wish they offered more recent releases through it.
+1
Old 01-16-11, 12:22 PM   #23
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
Why not try boxee?

As for your concerns, your rant is pointed wrong. It is not Netflix fault if a device can't browse their service. It's the device fault because Netflix does not control the apps like on iOS system. I use Netflix on my wii and iPod and it's a fantastic experience... Outside if the mildly weak selection.
I used to use Boxee but switched back over to XBMC about a month ago. Bias about iOS eh?

Old 01-16-11, 12:24 PM   #24
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Agreed. I think its a shame the older TV show seasons aren't available to stream. They force you to order the stupid DVDs and make you wait. Lame.