Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-11, 10:13 AM   #1
zbiggy

Default Nvidia OHCI USB hanging - Suse fixed this, help finding patch in Suse kernel

Hello,

it looks Oliver Neukum from Novell fixed hanging usb 1.1 ohci problem in Nvidia chipsets on openSuse 11.0 kernel update:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=419250
I tested one of recent OpenSuse 11 LiveCD and indeed the bug looks to be really fixed.

Unfortunately OpenSuse does not share this patch with the rest of Linux community.
If you use OpenSuse and are able to isolate the patch from OpenSuse kernel - please share it here. Other distros (and recent vanilla kernel from kernel.org) are still having serious problems with this chipset bug.

What a pity Nvidia is unable to make a patch to fix its own chipset on Linux.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:04 AM   #2
artem

Default Re: Nvidia OHCI USB hanging - Suse fixed this, help finding patch in Suse kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy View Post
Unfortunately OpenSuse does not share this patch with the rest of Linux community.
Are you out of your mind?

Download kernel src.rpm and read the changelog.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 11:18 AM   #3
zbiggy

Default Re: Nvidia OHCI USB hanging - Suse fixed this, help finding patch in Suse kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Are you out of your mind?

Download kernel src.rpm and read the changelog.
OK genius show me. Maybe I have found wrong file:
kernel-source-2.6.34-12.3.noarch.rpm
but did not find anything related to Nvidia usb ohci:
http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...2.3.noarch.rpm
I even made a diff of both to find it and nothing. The only change to ohci hcd is addition of #ifdef CONFIG_KDB_USB my vanilla kernel from kernel.org does not have.

Simply there is no code specific to Nvidia usb problem.
Old 01-16-11, 12:13 PM   #4
gbil

Quote:
OK genius show me. Maybe I have found wrong file:
kernel-source-2.6.34-12.3.noarch.rpm
but did not find anything related to Nvidia usb ohci:
I even made a diff of both to find it and nothing. The only change to ohci hcd is addition of #ifdef CONFIG_KDB_USB my vanilla kernel from kernel.org does not have.

Simply there is no code specific to Nvidia usb problem.
You post a recent kernel here for a bug that was resolved 2 years ago and most probably is in the vanilla source code already. How do you expect to find the specific patch? If you had the src rpm from the kernel that the patch was first applied it would be easier.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-11, 02:36 PM   #5
zbiggy

I have just made another test: copied 1.5 GB file to usb hdd using LiveCD of openSUSE 11.4m5. usb 1.1 hanged after copying 853.6 MB of 1.5 GB. So the fix is not full (usb 1.1 in nForce 7xx/ Geforce8/9xxx mainboards hangs after copying less than 400MB of data). Sorry for raising false alarm. I really hoped that after 2 years we have a patch for this buggy Nvidia chipset. It is sad that Nvidia ends so successful chipset history in such lame way. Intel has done right thing forbidding Nvidia to design chipsets - what a pity it happened so late. It should be done before nForce7xx family.
Old 01-17-11, 11:02 AM   #6
artem

zbiggy,

NVIDIA used to produce the best chipsets for both AMD and Intel CPUs, however their chipset team is now a history and I'm afraid no one can help you.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 05:35 PM   #7
Deanjo

Quote:
I have just made another test: copied 1.5 GB file to usb hdd using LiveCD of openSUSE 11.4m5. usb 1.1 hanged after copying 853.6 MB of 1.5 GB. So the fix is not full (usb 1.1 in nForce 7xx/ Geforce8/9xxx mainboards hangs after copying less than 400MB of data). Sorry for raising false alarm. I really hoped that after 2 years we have a patch for this buggy Nvidia chipset. It is sad that Nvidia ends so successful chipset history in such lame way. Intel has done right thing forbidding Nvidia to design chipsets - what a pity it happened so late. It should be done before nForce7xx family.
Have you tried another harddrive? Could just as easily be a bad sector on the harddrive that is haulting your copy.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote