Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-17-11, 04:40 PM   #1
JCA

Default Looking for Nvidia card with HDMI/sound

I have a PC based on an Asus M4A78LT-M motherboard that came with a GeForce 8400GS card that has an external HDMI socket, besides the more common VGA and DVI sockets. I have been able to connect my PC to my TV through an HDMI cable successfully, as far as the video output is concerned, using the Nvidia proprietary drivers. However, I am getting no audio at all.

After some research I found out that in order to get audio through a cable connected to the HDMI socket in an Nvidia-based card one has to attach one end of an S/PDIF cable to the S/PDIF in socket in the card, and the other end to the S/PDIF out socket in the motherboard. My motherboard has such a socket; unfortunately, my 8400GS does not.

I have therefore started looking into getting a replacement for the 8400GS such that new card will come with an HDMI socket AND with an internal S/PDIF socket. While the literature on different Nvidia-based cards makes it clear what kind of external sockets the card has, finding out about internal S/PDIF sockets seems to be much more tricky. My question is, What card should I get so that I have the guarantee that it has both external HDMI and an on-board S/PDIF socket? In this line, I have heard that new PNY cards with Nvidia chips and HDMI do not require the S/PDIF-HDMI passthrough anymore in order to carry sound over an HDMI cable. Is this correct? If it is, is this something that the Nvidia drivers alone do, or are we talking some Windows-only software?
JCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:23 PM   #2
dura91

Default Re: Looking for Nvidia card with HDMI/sound

A GT210 or GT240 card will do the job without any S/PDIF connection headache. It works great with recent linux kernel and nvidia driver.
dura91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:55 PM   #3
JCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura91 View Post
A GT210 or GT240 card will do the job without any S/PDIF connection headache. It works great with recent linux kernel and nvidia driver.
How recent a kernel? Will any 2.6.3x.x do?
JCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:29 PM   #4
jdmcdaniel3
Its James again in Austin

Smile Re: Looking for Nvidia card with HDMI/sound

The 240 never put out anything but Stereo in Windows 7 and I could never convince it to work with 5.1 audio. I had some odd issues with resolutions not working right during openSUSE 11.3 installation and a 37" LCD 1080p monitor. I literally had to connect a standard VGA monitor up to get a viewable picture with a 240 installed to finish the install. I did get video to work after installing the distro and installing the nVIDIA driver. Audio operation through HDMI was intermittent at best in openSUSE 11.3 and kernel 2.6.34. I suggest you do not buy a nVIDIA 240 video card, but go for a newer 460 for instance where I was able to get it to work properly with Windows 7. It comes up looking right in openSUSE 11.3, but I have not tried to get it to work just yet with 5.1 audio. Just my personnel thoughts, the 240 is not a very good video card.

Thank You,
jdmcdaniel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 03:22 AM   #5
dura91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
The 240 never put out anything but Stereo in Windows 7 and I could never convince it to work with 5.1 audio.
Who care about windows 7 ?
Quote:
I had some odd issues with resolutions not working right during openSUSE 11.3 installation and a 37" LCD 1080p monitor. I literally had to connect a standard VGA monitor up to get a viewable picture with a 240 installed to finish the install. I did get video to work after installing the distro and installing the nVIDIA driver. Audio operation through HDMI was intermittent at best in openSUSE 11.3 and kernel 2.6.34. I suggest you do not buy a nVIDIA 240 video card, but go for a newer 460 for instance where I was able to get it to work properly with Windows 7. It comes up looking right in openSUSE 11.3, but I have not tried to get it to work just yet with 5.1 audio. Just my personnel thoughts, the 240 is not a very good video card.

Thank You,
My GT240 works perfectly here : (2, 4, 6, 8 channels LPCM, AC3 and DTS passthrough perfectly smooth 1080p HDvideo with VDPAU, multihead, 3D games with or without wine ...
Do not think that if you don't know how to make your hardware work, so no one knows. GT2x0 cards are a lot cheaper than 460 cards.
Old 01-18-11, 03:25 AM   #6
dura91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCA View Post
2.6.36.x and 2.6.37 work perfectly, I think 2.6.35.x too. But I remember that there was problems with 2.6.34 and older kernels.
Old 01-18-11, 03:47 AM   #7
cehoyos
FFmpeg developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCA View Post
For older 2.6.3x kernels, it is no problem to install latest ALSA sound drivers (1.0.23): http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Download (I use a recent daily snapshots to fix minor bugs like handling odd channel numbers)

Note that while both G210 and GT240 will offer you eight-channel PCM sound, user experience shows that only GT240 (and newer cards) supports TrueHD and DTS-HD over HDMI (at least for some users, it doesn't work on a G210 for me):
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157347

Carl Eugen
cehoyos is offline   Reply With Quote