Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-14-11, 02:24 PM   #13
Lyme

Default Re: PS3 security hacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
Some even go as far as saying you are leasing the console...the sheer stupidity of that is mind blowing.
What can I say a lot of people are morons. Have you ever filled out a leasing agreement? For a car? boat? scooter? apartment? condo? house? How about a rental agreement?

Now ask yourself what you filled out when you bought your ps3. While the courts will pervert the subject, as they accept bribes from virtually everyone, the simple truth of the matter is that it isn't a rental it is a purchase. And as far as I'm concerned I'm going to do what ever I choose to do with my purchases even if it is filling them with chocolate pudding.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 12:57 PM   #14
Vardant

Quote:
Sony also claims that the hackers have damaged the company so bad that if the court does not grant Sony the order, they will destroy the business entirely.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110114/...ny_will_fail_1

I'm not touching anything from Sony from now on...this is retarded.

Actually you know what? I hope they fail and they really do that. It will be awesome after all the 1st party developers move to a single platform or better yet, start making PC versions of their games.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-11, 02:20 PM   #15
ViN86

Quote:
I'm baffled by the number of people trying to defend Sony's right to "kill" your console if they find anything like this running. It's almost everywhere and I can't wrap my head around that kind of thinking.

Some even go as far as saying you are leasing the console...the sheer stupidity of that is mind blowing.
Sony has a right to ban your console from PSN (as MS does with XBL), but I still think whatever you do with your hardware is your business. Even MS doesn't "break" hacked consoles.

As for playing pirated games, I think that's up to the studios to prosecute people who break the law.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:12 AM   #16
FearMeAll

There is a major(and I mean major) hack being released today..I wonder what the heck Sony is going to do. It will enable PSN and allow people to play backups...like all of them. It's being released by the same guy that hacked the wii. I wonder if it's the end of the life of the PS3.

It seems like most mod chips and hacks are made for advanced users because what a pain in the ass they can be..so it at least limits this. But this hack is nothing but a firmware update then bam! free games. Now any yahoo that finds out about it can mod their ps3 without buying any specialized hardware.

Sure you can modchip the xbox360 or run hacked firmware all the time, but it is enough of a pain in the butt to discourage the general public and is almost guaranteed to get your xbox eventually banned...which only matters to those who give a crap about live.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:39 AM   #17
Vardant

Umm?

PC has been "hacked" for years and people still buy games and the PC is still here.

You can buy pirated movies, DVDrips, BRrips, anything and people still buy originals.

Downloading songs in mp3 is easier and faster than buying them and people still buy originals.

Why exactly should this be any different?
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 07:04 AM   #18
FearMeAll

Quote:
Umm?

PC has been "hacked" for years and people still buy games and the PC is still here.

You can buy pirated movies, DVDrips, BRrips, anything and people still buy originals.

Downloading songs in mp3 is easier and faster than buying them and people still buy originals.

Why exactly should this be any different?
Well maybe this will shut up console people about pc piracy. I'm tired of hearing it from devs. Of course every console has been hacked or modchipped at some point. I mod chipped my gamecube for fun 2 months ago lol. Even have an old softmodded xbox 1, a mod chipped ps2, mod chipped ps1, and even a mod chipped sega saturn. The dreamcast I have, well, everyone knows that story...

On hand helds, I have an old GBA flash cart, and a modded psp. Didn't need flash carts for the virtual boy since it only had 13 games. I have 8 of them for a laugh. I like the mod scene after the console has died in development. It's the best way to complete a collection of old crap. I've become obsessed with it. I gotta post a pic of this room I have all this old junk in.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 12:09 AM   #19
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Sony is not going to "destroy the business entirely" as they say. I know that in feudal Japan, the Samurai would kill themselves for failures, but this is not feudal Japan. This is a business, and Sony has invested way too much money into the PS3 for them to simply close up shop.

This is a hardware level hack, so I don't think any level of patching will fix it. It simply means that sony will just have to make sure that their next product is much harder to get into.

As I said, Sony did this to themselves by removing features as the system has aged. I guess they thought they were giving the users too much power by allowing Linux support and compatibility with PS2 games. Whatever... Sony should be sued for that.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-11, 12:26 PM   #20
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
George Hotz hacked Sony's PS3, and then told everyone how to do it. That pissed Sony off, and the company is taking him to court. Rival Microsoft is ready to play nice, though. With a gift.

Hotz, who also cracked the iPhone, blogged that he's keen to get a Windows Phone 7. And Brandon Watson, who according to his Twitter is an "entrepreneur on loan to Microsoft focused on getting our developer mojo back", tweeted this to the 21-year-old Hotz:

Quote:
#geohot if you want to build cool stuff on #wp7, send me email and the team will give you a phone - let dev creativity flourish #wp7dev
Guess that's a good way to get out in front of any exploits or holes Hotz is bound to find as he sets out to jailbreak the Windows Phone. Better than, you know, taking him to court.
http://kotaku.com/5738644/microsoft-...-windows-phone

This is awesome.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-11, 12:50 AM   #21
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
No one can beat him, so why not hire him?

Seriously, Sony is fighting a losing battle here. They should have given him a job to help develop security for their next system. I bet the problem is that they used the exact same security in their new Playstation design because they thought any holes could be filled by a simple security patch.

Back to the drawing board, Sony.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 01:21 AM   #22
ViN86

WP7 was cracked in 6 hours lol.

http://www.dailytech.com/Windows+Pho...ticle20528.htm

Quote:
Thus far the Windows Phone 7 platform hasn't reportedly been suffering as severely from piracy as Apple's iOS or Google's Android. However, Microsoft may be in for a similar fate as its competitors.

In six hours, a developer advising technical blog site WPCentral was able to create an app (named "FreeMarketPlace") that downloaded any app from Microsoft's WP7 Marketplace, and removed the protections from it [video]. The cracked app could then be directly loaded on an unlocked handset, or be saved to your hard drive.

WPCentral was ardent that it would not publish details of how the hack worked, and that it only made the video as a cry to action for Microsoft. The site comments, "We are confident Microsoft will work hard to implement a stronger DRM system, in part due to this proof-of-concept demonstration."
Looks like they need Geohot lol
Old 01-27-11, 07:42 PM   #23
ViN86

PS3 got an update yesterday claiming to have "security patches". Anyone hear anything about this yet? Does it actually do anything?

I installed it on mine, but my PS3 is legit so I wouldn't know if it did anything.
Old 01-27-11, 07:46 PM   #24
Albo

It just blocks the exploit again.

They sued Geohot.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote