Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-11, 06:59 PM   #13
Albo

Default Re: Samsung Vibrant finally getting Froyo 1/21/11

8 posts in a row. DDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

Anyways, how is the phone with the new update?
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 07:44 PM   #14
betterdan

I tried out the GPS today and I hate to say it because it will probably jinx me but it is working pretty nice. The icon stayed on the road, it update quicker while travelling down the road and at stop lights it didn't start turning the icon facing North, South East and West like it used to. Now it stayed straight ahead.

The rest is nice too especially the wifi calling. It of course uses your call plan minutes but at least now I have phone service in the house with this.
The media gallery is a lot faster too and now i don't have to reboot the phone after taking a video just so I can find it in the gallery.

My wife got an Ipad tonight so I am curious about trying the phone out as an internet access point so the ipad can use the phone's 3g for internet access while on the road on a trip for instance.
Old 01-22-11, 08:52 PM   #15
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Damn dan... that's the impression I've gotten from the EPIC beta releases.... decent updates but buggy as hell and not quite finished
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 09:01 PM   #16
betterdan

Well i still like this update a lot better than the 2.1 that was on it before. The GPS seems a lot better for the main thing.

Oh also for the Avatar movie not playing problem, someone said to clear the DRM cache in application management then reboot the phone and that should clear up the problem.

I had a problem earlier where I could only send pic messages by going into a messaging thread already created then attaching a pic and replying to someone. If I tried to start a new message thread and attach a pic I would get a server error upon hitting send. If I went into contacts, clicked someone then message and attach pic I would get the server error message also.
I finally figured out that I had to delete all the non numerical characters from the person's numbers in contacts. It worked fine with dashes in there before but now this update doesn't like dashes being in the contacts numbers. Not a big problem since I only have about 15 contacts but for someone with lots of contacts that would suck to have to go edit all of them.
Old 01-22-11, 09:17 PM   #17
betterdan

Just tried out the Mobile Access Point setting that is available now with this update. Turned it on then checked my wife's ipad and it recognized a new network. Connected to it then I was sharing my phone's 3G internet. Lots better than having to pay extra for the Ipad with 3g and then on top of that having to pay extra to use 3g.
This should come in handy when we take our trip to Oklahoma later this year. We can have internet in the car on something bigger than a small phone screen.
Old 01-23-11, 10:20 AM   #18
onmikesline

im all updated from friday. everything works good now
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 10:25 AM   #19
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
Just tried out the Mobile Access Point setting that is available now with this update. Turned it on then checked my wife's ipad and it recognized a new network. Connected to it then I was sharing my phone's 3G internet. Lots better than having to pay extra for the Ipad with 3g and then on top of that having to pay extra to use 3g.
This should come in handy when we take our trip to Oklahoma later this year. We can have internet in the car on something bigger than a small phone screen.
Do you have to pay extra from t-mobile to be able to create wifi hot spots?
Old 01-23-11, 10:46 AM   #20
betterdan

Nope, unlimited data plan. You just have a 5gb limit I believe then they slow down your connection until your next billing month. I've never hit that limit as we usually always use the wifi connection at home.
It says up to 5 devices can connect to the phone at a time to share it's 3G internet speeds.

Old 01-23-11, 11:53 AM   #21
Albo

damn, i want t-mobile.
Old 01-23-11, 12:18 PM   #22
betterdan

Yea I like T Mobile. The only bad thing is our house is right in a dead area which reaches about a block around us. Once you get out of that spot you have full 3g. Now with my phone using wifi calling I don't have to worry about that at home.
Old 01-23-11, 12:39 PM   #23
betterdan

Hmm I may have spoke too soon. I see here http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/addons/...vc_Tab_HotSpot
Thst they have a $14.95 a month charge for tethering and wifi sharing.

I wonder how they would know if I use it anyways? It won't be like it's all the time.

I chatted with a tmobile rep and he said he had no idea how they would know if I was using it without the plan. They need to at least make a popup come up telling you a plan is required when enableing tethering or something. They just added the feature to the phone and no mention of any extra costs. I'll rarely use it so I'm just going to take my chances.
Old 01-24-11, 09:47 AM   #24
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Dan, the way it works (on Sprint and Verizon) is that when you go to use their App (Verizon Mifi, Sprint Hotspot) it will phone home and register with your account and upgrade it automatically. If it's a 3rd party tethering app there's really no way that they can know its going on. I prefer to use Wireless Tether for Root Users since I'm rooted. It has a few limitations though like not being able to support infrastructure (wireless AP vs ad-hoc) mode. But those limitations are usually per-phone and yours might not be that way.

I recently upgraded to an unofficial 2.2 leak for my epic along with a nice gingerbread theme... I'm really digging the look and feel of this. very responsive GPS now. Not to mention it looks just like a Nexus S except now I'm rocking a keyboard

8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m