Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-11, 10:38 PM   #61
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: GTX570 or Ati 6950 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Other than ones with a different heatsink and fan, all overclocked ones I have seen are the same as reference models.

Factory overclocked cards are never clocked much higher than the reference ones to start with. I upgrade my components all the time and have never had issues when clocking to the overclocked versions. I must say, I never stop there though. I always want more speed.
Yah, most factory over-clocked cards I have seen run on stock coolers.

There are special editions (that new Phantom card springs to mind) which has better cooling, but the basic ones aren't really that special.

I got a good deal on the SC so I purchased it and, for the most part, it was a great card. It played pretty much everything maxed out even with my aging processor. There was only 1 issue with it and so, I am replacing it with something else which, I hope, will be a bit better in performance while giving me no issues with the capacitor whine
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 12:05 AM   #62
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I know you are not employed by Nvidia, but you are representing them and doing an awful job of it.

90% of the time you are either instigating stuff, putting people down or going out of your way to say things are not a problem when they actually are.

If someone is doing a terrible job of representing them, they fully deserve to know how crappy a job you are doing. The mere fact that you receive stuff from a company and then crap all over them by representing them so shoddily is beyond shameful.

And, unfortunately for Nvidia, you see absolutely nothing wrong with your crass behavior.

You really need to get over yourself.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 12:16 AM   #63
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

Is it me, of is this post just... I dunno- ironic? Maybe more, hypocritical?

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 02:01 AM   #64
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

For a guy who could care less what other people think, you sure do care a lot about what other people think.

The way I see it 1 persons opinion is just that. 2 peoples opinion is not much. 3 people and that's a pretty small sample. But when you start seeing a lot more people calling you a troll, it might be time to just accept who you are and stop getting all butt-hurt.

Fwiw the only reason I haven't put you on ignore is the 10% of your posts that aren't garbage. You do accidentally provide some decent nuggets of information. Just wish you did more of that and less of what you do the rest of the time
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 04:11 AM   #65
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Is it me, of is this post just... I dunno- ironic? Maybe more, hypocritical?

Yeah, the irony is so thick and delicious you could cut it with a knife.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 06:23 AM   #66
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33973092

Quote:
A few weeks ago I bought a 6950 on the same hopes that it would unlock to a 6970. I got it, and lo and behold it did unlock to a 6970. While the performance was great, the driver issues were abundant.

In between, I got a 470GTX thinking that it would fix things. It however, did not. It was loud, incredibly hot and not a very good buy compared to the 6950. So I bit the teeth and went with a 570GTX for 60 bucks more.

I cannot say I am more pleased with my 570GTX. It's similar to the quality of my GTX285 when I got it back then. It's performance is unparalleled, has yet to go under 40 FPS in Starcaft 2 in a 4v4 game (where the 6950 struggled to get above 15fps in battles and stuttered constantly, even before unlocking. The stuttering only became less annoying after unlocking to a 6970)

On the cooling side, I am more than satisfied. I was incredibly surprised at the lack of sound in my case. Compared to the GTX470, I was expecting somewhere in between but the new cooler is quieter than even my GTX285! On load it is still incredibly quiet. I suppose the vapor chamber really does work well.

In fact, it's so quiet in my room now that I can hear the buzz coming out of the flourescent lamp and the hum coming out of my radio which I didn't turn off. So that's a very good improvement. So if you're a sound fanatic, get the 570GTX, it's actually better acoustics than the 6950 (although that card also has great acoustics)

Furthermore, the temperature is down to 75C at load, which is a vast improvement over 91C (!!!) for the GTX470.

So there you have it, I got this GTX570 on sale for 319CDN so it was a steal. In my opinion, it's far superior to anything that AMD has to offer right now (even with the 6950 -> 6970 unlock that isn't garaunteed to stay that way) Being an actual owner of the 6950 before, I find this card vastly superior.

If you want something that isn't a hassle, quiet, a vast upgrade to GTX285 or GTX470, get the 570. It's ridiculously good.

Furthermore, it's got a cool SSAO ability that makes Starcraft 2 look even better. Can't complain about that.

Also if you get the MSI, it comes with a free upgrade to 3DMark. I found that really useful since I was wasting a lot of time on rapidshare trying to get a cracked copy, then realized wait a minute, MSI advertises in 3dmark so I looked in the box. Lo and behold! Free coupon. Very satisfied MSI customer lol.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 06:56 AM   #67
lapino

Ancient75, since you seem to have quite a bit of experience with graphics cards, any idea of I would notice a definite improvement when upgrading to a GTX570 from a Ati 5850?
lapino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 08:13 AM   #68
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Besides the performance difference is neglectable anyway.
Not always:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/gigaby...80-soc-review/

This card has almost a 20% core overclock, is cooler and quieter than a normal GTX480, and at $399 may be the best bargain in high end cards today.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...d,2795-15.html

The GTX460 FTW edition has much better performance than a standard GTX460.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]

Old 01-23-11, 08:32 AM   #69
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
Ancient75, since you seem to have quite a bit of experience with graphics cards, any idea of I would notice a definite improvement when upgrading to a GTX570 from a Ati 5850?
In games like Stalker, Crysis, Metro, S2... you will see an improvement. These are PC exclusive games, btw. Some other cross-platform games don't need more powerful cards.

In the near future games like The Witcher 2, Crysis 2, TES: Skyrim, should be even more demanding?

One more good thing about GTX 570 is oc potencial.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 08:50 AM   #70
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
For a guy who could care less what other people think, you sure do care a lot about what other people think.

The way I see it 1 persons opinion is just that. 2 peoples opinion is not much. 3 people and that's a pretty small sample. But when you start seeing a lot more people calling you a troll, it might be time to just accept who you are and stop getting all butt-hurt.

Fwiw the only reason I haven't put you on ignore is the 10% of your posts that aren't garbage. You do accidentally provide some decent nuggets of information. Just wish you did more of that and less of what you do the rest of the time
Sazar:

1. You totally misunderstood my posts that you said were condescending. You thought I was somehow referring to you when I told a true story about a single guy who put 50-60 posts up under different accounts about 8800GTs in an attempt to make it look like a lot of people were having issues with them. You apparently don't understand that a handful of guys reporting the noisey capacitor issue is anecdotal evidence in the scope of the number of 570s sold. You can't say that every 570 has noisey capacitors because you don't know and I can say there are people who make false posts about problems with NVIDIA programs because I do know.

2. Over the last 6 years, I have had dozens of people tell me how they think I should do the Focus Group thing. You know what they say about unasked for advice? Applies here. I could care less what you or anyone else thinks about how I should go about Focus Group. NVIDIA doesn't tell me how to post, you won't either. How I post is no one's business but my own. If you don't like it, don't read it.

EDIT: If you think you can do the Focus Group "representation" better, pitch your case to NVIDIA for membership and show me how it's done. I'll still ignore your advice, but at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing it's being done the way you like it.

The day I stop posting what I think and start trying to act like a NVIDIA employee is the day I am a shill and a corporate mouthpiece. I'm a computer gamer. I posted like this before NVIDIA asked me to join Focus Group, I've posted like this during my Focus Group time, and if I'm ever not in the Focus Group I'll post the same way. NVIDIA disapproves with as much of what I say as they approve, but apparently realize I'm not their employee. (unlike you)

Rig 2:

Old 01-23-11, 10:30 AM   #71
lapino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
In games like Stalker, Crysis, Metro, S2... you will see an improvement. These are PC exclusive games, btw. Some other cross-platform games don't need more powerful cards.

In the near future games like The Witcher 2, Crysis 2, TES: Skyrim, should be even more demanding?

One more good thing about GTX 570 is oc potencial.
Well, Wither2, Crysis2 and TES:Skyrim are about the only 3 games on my list for pc in 2011 Do you think a GTX570 would perform quite a bit better than my 5850 in these? (always running at 1920x1200). Or should I buy a 2nd 5850. I'm not that interested in xfire but have no experience with it either.
lapino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 11:12 AM   #72
Destroy

Until NV comes out with a similar feature, MLAA is THE reason ATI is best. If you don't care about graphics, then just get anything else or a console.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote