Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-23-11, 11:06 AM   #73
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Default Re: GTX570 or Ati 6950 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
Well, Wither2, Crysis2 and TES:Skyrim are about the only 3 games on my list for pc in 2011 Do you think a GTX570 would perform quite a bit better than my 5850 in these? (always running at 1920x1200). Or should I buy a 2nd 5850. I'm not that interested in xfire but have no experience with it either.
The real question is do you need more performance at this moment Wait and see.

And GTX570 is much faster then 5850.

Btw, i don't like CF solution.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 11:16 AM   #74
lapino

Do I 'need' it? Not sure. All games I currently have run pretty fine at 1920x1200 (sometimes without AA though). But I know I won't be happy with 20fps in Crysis2 or the new Witcher game. Any idea if there are even faster cards expected in the same price range within this and six months?
lapino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 12:22 PM   #75
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post
Do I 'need' it? Not sure. All games I currently have run pretty fine at 1920x1200 (sometimes without AA though). But I know I won't be happy with 20fps in Crysis2 or the new Witcher game. Any idea if there are even faster cards expected in the same price range within this and six months?
Really can't say about 6 months out.

Right now, no one knows about performance in Crysis 2, maxed out, so that will be pure speculation. I would probably recommend a card with more VRAM though (so the AMD card would probably be better suited). BUT, there are likely going to be new cards coming out, refreshed, which should provide decent graphics power in the next 6 months as the current gen is refreshed. You might get better "value" at that time and, to your advantage, you will be able to see benchmarks as well

Essentially, from a performance stand-point, the GTX 570 is probably going to be the better buy for you. If you want close-performance but also want to eliminate any issues with running out of VRAM, the 6950 would be fine (honestly, this should not even be a consideration for most games around 1080P and below). Either way, you can't go wrong.

-edit-

Given that you have a 5850, it might not be worth a change right now. I'd suggest saving your pennies and going with whatever mid/high range card Nvidia and AMD release in 6-7 months time. You'd have a much better handle on things and the price/performance is only going to get better. Your current card should be more than adequate to tide you over till then
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 12:37 PM   #76
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Sazar:

1. You totally misunderstood my posts that you said were condescending. You thought I was somehow referring to you when I told a true story about a single guy who put 50-60 posts up under different accounts about 8800GTs in an attempt to make it look like a lot of people were having issues with them. You apparently don't understand that a handful of guys reporting the noisey capacitor issue is anecdotal evidence in the scope of the number of 570s sold. You can't say that every 570 has noisey capacitors because you don't know and I can say there are people who make false posts about problems with NVIDIA programs because I do know.
You posted in response to my post and put in your random information. Obviously since it was in reference to my post and my issue, your post could be considered a direct response but hey, I'm just using common sense here.

Also, I never implied that the capacitor whine issue is widespread, just that I have experienced it with 2 separate cards from EVGA (the Super-Clocked cards) and I have seen the same issue reported relatively widely online, with audio and video clips.

Quote:
2. Over the last 6 years, I have had dozens of people tell me how they think I should do the Focus Group thing. You know what they say about unasked for advice? Applies here. I could care less what you or anyone else thinks about how I should go about Focus Group. NVIDIA doesn't tell me how to post, you won't either. How I post is no one's business but my own. If you don't like it, don't read it.
I honestly don't care what you do or how you do it. All I am saying is, the way you interact with people is a terrible representation for Nvidia. Whether you are employed by them or not is completely moot and I think we all know you are not employed by Nvidia. However, regardless of the disclaimer in your signature, you are representing them in one capacity or another and thats just the way it is.

Considering the rather widespread and unified view on your status as a troll and the fact that you have been banned or admonished here and, I believe, other boards, it speaks volumes.

Quote:
EDIT: If you think you can do the Focus Group "representation" better, pitch your case to NVIDIA for membership and show me how it's done. I'll still ignore your advice, but at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing it's being done the way you like it.
I don't care about the Focus group honestly. The only person other than you who was involved was ChrisRay, and he was an fantastic guy who actually cared about the community.

Quote:
The day I stop posting what I think and start trying to act like a NVIDIA employee is the day I am a shill and a corporate mouthpiece. I'm a computer gamer. I posted like this before NVIDIA asked me to join Focus Group, I've posted like this during my Focus Group time, and if I'm ever not in the Focus Group I'll post the same way. NVIDIA disapproves with as much of what I say as they approve, but apparently realize I'm not their employee. (unlike you)
A couple of things. First off, you already act like a corporate mouthpiece and a shill. One need only look at the threads you start and where the information is coming from to come to that conclusion. You have definitely been posting almost the same way since the beginning but I think the banning and a couple of other things have led to you toning it down. You're not quite as big of a tool as you used to be, so kudos.

Secondly, and I think we have all repeated this ad-nauseum, we KNOW you are not an Nvidia employee. BUT... on THIS board, in the capacity you represent yourself in and have done so, you are representing them, at least in our eyes

Fair or not, it is what it is.

I think most of us came to this and other boards to participate. I know I first came here looking for information and helping people out however I could. I don't help as much as I did when I first joined but I try in my own way, and I am happy with that.

You can keep doing what you do, being a rebel and all that jazz. I frankly don't care about YOU. This has never ever been about YOU. It is about Nvidia, at least in my book, and your representation of NVIDIA.
Old 01-23-11, 01:25 PM   #77
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Until NV comes out with a similar feature, MLAA is THE reason ATI is best. If you don't care about graphics, then just get anything else or a console.

MLAA is the WORST form of AA. Blurs the scene, destroys the HUD. MLAA is a joke, only suitable for use on games that don't support better forms of AA. (all 3 of them)

If MLAA is what ATi has, my guess is their CEO will retire soon as well.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 01:57 PM   #78
Rollo

Sazar:
Thank goodness NVIDIA has a true friend like you, to foil my plots to take them down.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 01-23-11, 02:09 PM   #79
Destroy

Quote:
MLAA is the WORST form of AA. Blurs the scene, destroys the HUD. MLAA is a joke, only suitable for use on games that don't support better forms of AA. (all 3 of them)

If MLAA is what ATi has, my guess is their CEO will retire soon as well.
Totally over exaggerated and sounds like someone who has never used it.

I've been a graphics wh0re PC gamer since Doom and MLAA is one of the best features in video cards, period. Blur is so imperceptible compared to the eye sore that jaggies exhibit. Haven't played a game yet where any HUD or menu has issues.

MLAA is all I use now cause is so fast, just plain works and looks excellent.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 02:19 PM   #80
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Yeah most FPS' have big bulky huds that MLAA doesnt affect much.

However in games that have fine txt like rts' it's pretty bad. But then most of those support AA so you don't need MLAA lol.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-11, 02:48 PM   #81
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Sazar:
Thank goodness NVIDIA has a true friend like you, to foil my plots to take them down.
Thank goodness we have Nvidia Focus members like you to crap all over the positive work that people like Chris have done over the years

Keep on keeping on tRollo.
Old 01-23-11, 07:29 PM   #82
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Totally over exaggerated and sounds like someone who has never used it.

I've been a graphics wh0re PC gamer since Doom and MLAA is one of the best features in video cards, period. Blur is so imperceptible compared to the eye sore that jaggies exhibit. Haven't played a game yet where any HUD or menu has issues.

MLAA is all I use now cause is so fast, just plain works and looks excellent.
You're a "graphics wh0re" and you game on a Westinghouse TV? Have a pretty fine dot pitch running 19X10 on a 37" panel do you?

In any case, here's your "great AA" reviewed on an independent website:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=23098&page=6

Quote:
I tried MLAA in about a dozen games including ones where AA doesn’t normally work, such as Timeshift, Halo 1 and Cryostasis. While it worked everywhere, almost every game had obvious blurring to 3D scenes, menus and text; console text in Half-Life 2 was practically unreadable. MLAA also showed little to no improvement to shader and vegetation aliasing during in-game movement in games like Far Cry 2 and Crysis. It just blurred the vegetation without really doing much to reduce the shimmering.
Sounds like the best thing since...ummm......color banding on cheap monitors? Motion blur on cheap monitors?

While I agree it's nice to have MLAA if you actually find a game that doesn't support normal AA, those are few and far between.

If you were a real "graphics wh0re", you'd be sporting things like 25X16, NVIDIA Surround or Eyefinity, PhysX, 3d, and forced ambient occlusion that actually improve image quality, rather than things like MLAA that destroy it.

Rig 2:

Old 01-23-11, 07:39 PM   #83
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Some review, why would you run MLAA when all those games support AA? Whoever choses MLAA over AA when it is supported is retarded. It however is a nice feature for games that don't support any form of AA.

Nvidia is coming out with their own MLAA soon i heard too. Are you still going to say it still sucks then? I'm sure you will be beating your dick to it when it's on nvidia.

Also, AO on games that don't support it = dark ass corners. Real IQ improvement there. lmao.

Also, ATI just added tessellation adjustments in the control panel. I can turn tessellation on or off, set it to AMD optimized, or set the levels to 2,4,6,8,16,32, or 64x. Pretty nice feature if you ask me.
I can also force supersampling right from the control panel too... Lets see nvidia drivers do that without a third party program.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 07:57 PM   #84
onmikesline

if your a "graphics wh0re" then you need a 30'' 2560x1600 to really feed the ***** lol
onmikesline is offline   Reply With Quote