Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-23-11, 06:50 PM   #1
Fiech

Default Quadro NVS 3100M: low performance with kernel 2.6.36+

Hi,

I think this is a long shot because I actually don't really know if the nvidia forum is the right place to post this question but I will proceed anyway.

My Specs:
Dell Latitude E6510
Quadro NVS 3100M
i7 Dual Core @ 2.6Ghz
2GB RAM
running under Debian Sid (multiple kernel versions, all 64bit)

I use vanilla kernels and if I'm going with 2.6.35 with the latest nvidia driver I'm all fine (except for a shader problem but I will open a new thread for this one). But when I'm using 2.6.36 or 2.6.37 every time I suspend to ram and wake the system up, the performance is really low.
I.e. Scrolling in Chromium is nearly impossible because it's really choppy. Also Flash Videos (YT) in Fullscreen are choppy despite the resolution. Fullscreen in Flash doesn't work at all in Iceweasel (aka Firefox). Also the system seems to react much slower when it comes to any grafical responses.

As I said, this only happens with 2.6.36 upwards. It doesn't matter if I'm using 260.19.36 or if I use the 270.18 beta driver.
Right now I'm running kernel 2.6.25.10 @ driver version 260.19.36 and it works like a charm.

What sometimes helps is to unload/load the nvidia module, but most of the time I need a reboot to get rid of the problem.

Could anyone imagine what the problem might be and/or could help me with it?

Attatched you'll find a nvidia bug report collected with kernel 2.3.37 @ driver 270.18. It was created after the suspend to ram.

Best,
Fiech
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (61.5 KB, 55 views)
Fiech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 07:20 PM   #2
ledoc

Default Re: Quadro NVS 3100M: low performance with kernel 2.6.36+

There are a number of threads about slowdowns after suspend. For example http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show....php?p=2367045 even with some sort of solution...
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 07:51 PM   #3
Fiech

Oh, yeah, I found exactly this thread but assumed it would only refer to general slow downs as in OPs post. I must have missed this particular post.
Anyway,
Thank you!

PS: I already assumed something with the multi core support, because the cpu time for only one cpu went up to 100% when scrolling...
Fiech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 08:35 PM   #4
gradinaruvasile

It is normal that only one cpu goes up. The browser is not multi threaded, if you have a process on a core only that core will go up.

I have s somewhat similar issue, but it is not that tangible than yours - i have an integrated nvidia 8200 and i observed that after a suspend my glxgears score goes down by ~150 (2500 vs 2350).
This is reproducible 100% with the recent drivers (260. 270 series). The problem is that i dont actually see the slowdown in vdpau or games, probably becase i suspend-resume my computer all the time and i am used to the slower "mode" and the difference is not that big. I have a dual core cpu (AMD Athlon II 250 x2) but i see both cores working just as before.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote