Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-11, 04:17 PM   #73
warer

Default Re: [PATCH] "faked" Xinerama information for a triple-head TwinView setup

I compiled it on my laptop and have now loaded the fake Xinerama file. replaced the one in /usr/lib. But it dosen't seem to work. Is there some way to read the Xinerama info being reported by X?
warer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 05:50 PM   #74
BitJam

Default Re: [PATCH] "faked" Xinerama information for a triple-head TwinView setup

Try:
Code:
$ xdpyinfo -ext XINERAMA
BitJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 04:49 AM   #75
warer

I am now having som trouble getting the correct size on each screen.

Twinview screen0 is 1920x1200 and 1280x1024
screen1 is left of screen0 and 1600x1200.

When i try with xinerama enabled i get correct results with these settings:
Code:
1600 0 1920 1200
0 0 1600 1200
3520 0 1280 1024
When i try without Xinerama, the first line is used for screen0 and 1. Seems the lib is called twice for each screen when i run without xinerama.
Old 01-22-11, 08:21 AM   #76
warer

I am giving up. This just is too difficult, and nvidia have to fix this in the future.

With Xinerama enabled i can't run compiz and opengl is disabled on 7100 card. (8800 and 7100 don't work together with xinerama).

Without Xinerama I can get opengl and compiz on all monitors, but FakeXinerama must return different values for each screen.

If the AMD drivers were any decent i would have bought a new AMD card but they suck even more than nvidia.
Old 01-24-11, 12:46 PM   #77
BitJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by warer View Post
I am giving up. This just is too difficult, and nvidia have to fix this in the future.
Unfortunately this is something that Nvidia can't fix (in their driver). Xorg must fix it. I supposed Nvidia could have some of their developers start working with the Xorg devs to help resolve this problem along with a few others. But that might be bit of a slog.
Old 01-24-11, 12:52 PM   #78
warer

I don't think thats far fetched. They have the best drivers for Linux. All my friends who run Linux buy only nvidia cards because of that fact. If they make them even better AMD will never catch up.
Old 01-25-11, 01:39 AM   #79
BitJam

I'm just guessing here but the problem I see is that these fixes (there are others besides this) need to be done in the Xorg code, not in the driver so we face the classic Tragedy of the Commons. If Nvidia invests in fixing these problems, all of their competitors reap the rewards without making the investment.
Old 01-25-11, 02:01 AM   #80
warer

Thats the beauty of Open Source.