Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-29-10, 01:34 PM   #85
dk75

Default Re: Optimus support for Linux

whatever it is, there is no way that Optimus support from nVidia popup suddenly out of nowhere in the next feew months

i think it would be no earlier that half a year after official announcements of support, but since it is no support announce then...
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-10, 09:01 AM   #86
roquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
We have no plans to support Optimus on Linux at this time.
...but you should have plans to support!

A lot of users need that driver, including me.
roquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 12:56 PM   #87
fifarunnerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roquette View Post
...but you should have plans to support!

A lot of users need that driver, including me.
And me. C'mon, the Nvidia page has linux drivers for MY video card. But no, it won't work because of the damn Optimus.

Next notebook won't have a NVIDIA card, but ATI.

You guys are pushing us to Windows, that's not fair.
fifarunnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 03:16 AM   #88
redy1966

me too.
using a dell vostro laptop with intel onboard and nvidia gt 330m.
i'm buying this laptop because i known that propr. driver existing for the gt 330m and i can play games like eve-online & X3.

but i dind'nt know the issue with the optimus. this is very dissapointing to me
dear nvidia, let me become a satisfied customer and support optimus for linux.

greets
redy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 05:13 AM   #89
gimox

Hi there, my first post!

If i buy an XPS 17, with an i7 in there, could i solve the optimus problem? I've read somewhere that i7 doesn't have optimus function.
gimox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 06:14 AM   #90
rajciok

Me too ... Please support us with such a driver. ASUS K52JC - typical optimus configuration. Linux runs onlu Intel card. I bought it and pay the same price as the Windows users. But no support for my system. It isn't ok. It should be in laptop description - THIS LAPTOP USES OPTIMUS TECHNOLOGY SUPPORTED ONLY FOR WINDOWS 7 & VISTA if it had been there, I wouldn't have bought it...

NVIDIA was my favorit GPU... Was... but will it be still?
rajciok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 08:15 AM   #91
one_and_only

Last information from dev team was from 02-10-10, that nvidia is not going to support optimus on Linux. Anything changed since then? Could you provide us with more detailed information, like: we are not going to work on that this year for sure...
one_and_only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 02:32 PM   #92
DanielSBuus

Damn! Now I feel eerily lucky that I've been waiting so long for the ASUS U36Jc to be in stock. It's due tomorrow, but stumbling across this, I just managed to cancel the order in time.

I still want that computer, it's really nice, but of course if I can't use it properly, then it's a no-go

Now I have to decide whether I should wait for some Optimus fix or workaround or just go with a non-nVidia GPU.

How are the ATI cards these days in laptops for Linux? I have an ATI card on one of my desktop computers, the drivers are not very good, the Cataclyst thing very bad.

And what about the performance of the Intel i3-5-7 on-die GPU? One would think that being integrated directly into the CPU would yield better performance, but who knows?

So... Buy ATI, go for i* integrated GPU only, or wait until this issue is resolved?

I'm gonna subscribe to this thread to keep up with when that happens.

Last edited by DanielSBuus; 01-27-11 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to subscribe :)
DanielSBuus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-11, 07:59 PM   #93
javyn

I have been loyal to Nvidia since 3dfx was bought. Everything I've had I made sure to go Nvidia b/c I could always be assured Linux support. So loyal in fact, I opted for an Intel processor on my laptop over AMD (which I prefer by far) just to get Nvidia. Pretty insulting that I'm slapped in the face with this complete lack of support.

Shipping this back and probably going to eat a 15% restocking fee, and go for the Phenom Tri-Core with ATI graphics.

The 9500 GT I have running on my desktop now is seeming a little dated and I was considering an upgrade for it. Now I am going to give ATI much more serious consideration. From the research I've done, the new generation of ATI cards work with Ubuntu out of the box, at least. Just takes enabling the proprietary driver no different than an Nvidia card now. Also ATI is cheaper, and so what if it runs hot. I have a nice case and big fans
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 01:41 AM   #94
maxtothemax

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajciok View Post
Me too ... Please support us with such a driver. ASUS K52JC - typical optimus configuration. Linux runs onlu Intel card. I bought it and pay the same price as the Windows users. But no support for my system. It isn't ok. It should be in laptop description - THIS LAPTOP USES OPTIMUS TECHNOLOGY SUPPORTED ONLY FOR WINDOWS 7 & VISTA if it had been there, I wouldn't have bought it...
But then they wouldn't have gotten your money.
maxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 05:53 AM   #95
Lysius

I'm still wondering how much money Nvidia got from Microsoft to make this Windows-only.
Lysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 07:06 AM   #96
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysius View Post
I'm still wondering how much money Nvidia got from Microsoft to make this Windows-only.
Oh goody, conspiracy theories. Rock on!

How 'bout we come back to reality. Where the more likely reason there's no Optimus in Linux is that the graphic stack just isn't up to it. Because it really isn't. Also, Nvidia would probably need to work closely with Intel on this one.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote