Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-25-11, 08:26 PM   #1
Technoholic

Send a message via MSN to Technoholic
Default Microsoft MN-700

The router is actually wireless router. I can set it to only router, wireless access point, or wireless router.

Right now, it's set as wireless router. I only have two PS3 connected by wire, two videophones, and the rest are for laptops connected to wireless only. When nobody is home, I was the only one with the laptop. I tested my speed using comcast.speedtest.net, Iand the result is approximately 8Mbps, wired using PS3, wireless using laptop. Both the same result. For some reason, I called Comcast and had them to upgrade my service to Blast Internet which is 20 Mbps, and next two days, I still get the same result.

I contacted Comcast again, they asked me to connect my laptop directly to the modem, and bam! I get 20 Mbps at one point and over 15Mbps consistently. But using MN700 wireless router, the Mbps gets killed down to 8Mbps.

Are there anything I should change in the router settings? I'm a rook when it comes to networking.

I know, my wireless router is outdated, it's from 2007... would it be really worth it to get a newer wireless router? I was told Linksys works the best for wireless router.
-- EVGA 280GTX | SAMSUNG 225BW | X-FI XTREMEGAMER FPS | Z-5300e | Z-2300 | 250GB SEAGATE | RAZER LACHESIS
-- 320GB WESTERNDIGITAL | TAGAN 700W | G15 rev. 2 | NINE HUNDRED | VISTA HOME PREMIUM
-- no longer own this system

[MY LAPTOP]
-- MAC BOOK PRO 13" | DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | 2.3GHz i5 | 4GB DDR3 |
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD
-- Stolen :^(

[STUFF]
-- PSN: lqfocus06
-- AEKDB
Technoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 01:27 AM   #2
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n
Default Re: Microsoft MN-700

I see that all the time where I work (Cox SoCal).

- Factory Reset then run another test (hardwired).
- Update Firmware.
- Disable QoS (or at least customize settings properly).

If these fail, get a new router. As a side note the people who call in the most and its determined to be a router issue is netgear, linksys, and belkin; in that order. I almost never see D-Link or Buffalo. Most complaints with speed tend to be with the netgears and older linksys (non cisco) routers.

Also, if your running 802.11g - check your link speed, thats likely to be a problem too.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 08:22 PM   #3
Technoholic

I do run 802.11g, but I don't have a problem at my home in PA, I can get over 10 Mbps easy. While in DC with MN700, it just stays around 8 Mbps. But I could check my link speed, but how do I do that? As for QoS, what is it? If I don't find it in the settings, it could be expanded (not "QoS").

I have a concern about hard-reset, I have two video phones which requires separate IP address, etc. So with first video phone, we just wire it as normal, leave it as original. To add second video phone, we have to have a port forwarding added to make 2nd video phone work. I didn't do any of this set up, the video phone is from Sorenson, they had a tech person come and set up the port forward and what they did, I have no idea because I was not there.
-- EVGA 280GTX | SAMSUNG 225BW | X-FI XTREMEGAMER FPS | Z-5300e | Z-2300 | 250GB SEAGATE | RAZER LACHESIS
-- 320GB WESTERNDIGITAL | TAGAN 700W | G15 rev. 2 | NINE HUNDRED | VISTA HOME PREMIUM

[MY LAPTOP]
-- MAC BOOK PRO 13" | DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | 2.3GHz i5 | 4GB DDR3 |
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD

[STUFF]
-- AEKDB
Old 01-27-11, 03:26 PM   #4
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoholic View Post
I do run 802.11g, but I don't have a problem at my home in PA, I can get over 10 Mbps easy. While in DC with MN700, it just stays around 8 Mbps. But I could check my link speed, but how do I do that?
If you're Windows, just open the status for your "Local Area Connection" or "Wireless Network Connection". Inside Network and Sharing Center, click on "Manage Network Connections (Vista)" or "Change Adapter Settings (Win7)".

On a mac, apple >> System Preferences >> Select Built-In Ethernet >> Advanced >> Ethernet Tab

Quote:
As for QoS, what is it? If I don't find it in the settings, it could be expanded (not "QoS").
QoS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_of_service

Most routers dont have Configurable QoS, so if you dont see it, its probably not there.

Quote:
I have a concern about hard-reset, I have two video phones which requires separate IP address, etc. So with first video phone, we just wire it as normal, leave it as original. To add second video phone, we have to have a port forwarding added to make 2nd video phone work. I didn't do any of this set up, the video phone is from Sorenson, they had a tech person come and set up the port forward and what they did, I have no idea because I was not there.
Just login to the router to get the settings and write them down, then after the reset, log back in and put the settings back in. Port forwarding is not hard to do. You may want to write down the WLAN configuration settings as well.

The only thing you will probably want to check is the IP address for each video phone after the reset as they may change.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Old 01-27-11, 03:32 PM   #5
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Also if you don't know how to login to the router, all you do is put the routers IP address in your browsers address bar. If you dont know the IP address, do an ipconfig in the command prompt, the "default gateway" is your routers IP.

Update: Looks like your routers login is: http://192.168.2.1/

Quote:
Old 01-27-11, 05:51 PM   #6
Technoholic

I just checked my router settings, QoS is nowhere to be found.

I have also done a hard reset in the past, before doing that, I did in fact get the same result before and after hard reset.

And as for the speed link, the speed wireless is 54 Mbps, is that what I'm suppose to check?

[MY LAPTOP]
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD

[STUFF]
-- AEKDB
Old 01-28-11, 01:56 PM   #7
Runningman

First of you will never get close to that 54 meg speed, its theoretical. second wireless is a half duplex connection, so unlike ethenet, you host computer can only talk or listen, there is something called csma/ca. so if you have other wireless access point around your house that is using the same frequency then this will slow down your wireless network connection. Do a site servey by walking around your house with your laptop to see what other network are in your area and note what channels they are using.
Also, wireless G only has three over lapping channels. 1, 6 and 11, so choose the one with the least activity or covers your houshold.
oh ya, see if you can change the setting to "G" only...that might help because if one of your hosts connects with a "B" device, they all go down to "B" speeds....
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 12:00 AM   #8
Technoholic

Yeah, it's only set to Wireless G. And this router has the channel set up manually, it does not have any automatic settings. While at my home in PA, we have D-Link routers and wireless switch or whatever (we have a lot of those hooked up and at full speed without any problem).

In the D-Link wireless settings, there IS channel settings on automatic. We have it set on manually. Someone and something was used that caused interference with our MN700 wireless router, it stopped working or limited access wireless for about 20 minutes then it works okay. I know in the newer wireless routers, it will work better and have that channel settings changing on automatic.

There are two wireless routers I'm not sure which to pick. The price does not play a factor. It has to be D-Link wireless routers, recommended by Sorenson (the video phones). We will only have 2x PS3 and 2x video phones hooked up by wireless.

D-Link DIR-655
D-Link DIR-628

Sorenson recommended DIR-615 and DIR-628 and above if you suggest other routers.

Thanks for your help, peepz.

[MY LAPTOP]
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD

[STUFF]
-- AEKDB

Old 01-31-11, 11:31 AM   #9
Runningman

Quote:
Yeah, it's only set to Wireless G. And this router has the channel set up manually, it does not have any automatic settings. While at my home in PA, we have D-Link routers and wireless switch or whatever (we have a lot of those hooked up and at full speed without any problem).

In the D-Link wireless settings, there IS channel settings on automatic. We have it set on manually. Someone and something was used that caused interference with our MN700 wireless router, it stopped working or limited access wireless for about 20 minutes then it works okay. I know in the newer wireless routers, it will work better and have that channel settings changing on automatic.

There are two wireless routers I'm not sure which to pick. The price does not play a factor. It has to be D-Link wireless routers, recommended by Sorenson (the video phones). We will only have 2x PS3 and 2x video phones hooked up by wireless.

D-Link DIR-655
D-Link DIR-628

Sorenson recommended DIR-615 and DIR-628 and above if you suggest other routers.

Thanks for your help, peepz.
Whats you budget? im asking because right now im running in my home a cisco e3000(150$us) with a dd-wrt firmware, solid performance and all the features in the world one needs for their home...
If those are your two choices go with the dir615 and throw in the dd-wrt firmware, you will get most of the features of the dir 628 and will cost less. just keep in mind that the WAN and LAN ports are only 100megs...
Old 01-31-11, 12:21 PM   #10
Technoholic

The features of DIR-628 would be in DIR-615. But the range booster is the feature that I will lose, will I? I think I would want a range booster because I do lose half the signal in my room when the router is a floor down. What would happen if everyone (9 people) uses the laptop at the same time.

[MY LAPTOP]
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD

[STUFF]
-- AEKDB
Old 01-31-11, 02:28 PM   #11
Runningman

Quote:
The features of DIR-628 would be in DIR-615. But the range booster is the feature that I will lose, will I? I think I would want a range booster because I do lose half the signal in my room when the router is a floor down. What would happen if everyone (9 people) uses the laptop at the same time.
well I'm not a big fan of D-link, I think they produce sketchy routers but if your going to go with them I would choose the 655, seems the range is good and removable antenna would be something you would want to invest in if you still find the range sucks.
Something you might want to think about with these toy routers, heat becomes an issue over time so ventilation is a must if you want it to last long. So, since the 655 has a usb port, you can plug a laptop fan and place it underneath the unit. Thats what I did with my Cisco toy and haven't had a single problem.
Old 01-31-11, 02:34 PM   #12
Technoholic

I would want to go with what anyone would suggest that would be the best, but the Sorenson video phones that we have recommends D-Link products, so we will have to stick with D-Link to get the best quality in pictures out of the video phones.

Thanks for your help, Runningman!

[MY LAPTOP]
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD

[STUFF]
-- AEKDB