Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-11, 10:37 AM   #49
|MaguS|

Default Re: I know what phone i want ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Nice phone...Just a shame that it comes with 2.2 instead of Gingerbread.
Motorola has a good track record of releasing updates.

Doc, I personally don't think anything can put it to iPhone or other top phone quality gps. I blame the gps chip, not software. Devs have gotten it better but I doubt it will be at the high quality we have come to expect of a top tier device.
Old 01-31-11, 10:46 AM   #50
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Motorola has a good track record of releasing updates.

Doc, I personally don't think anything can put it to iPhone or other top phone quality gps. I blame the gps chip, not software. Devs have gotten it better but I doubt it will be at the high quality we have come to expect of a top tier device.
Is the captivate not a "top tier device"? A firware update won't fix that problem? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to see what kind of decision I'm going to make about this captivate. I don't use my gps right now, but when me and the fam go on trips, I have to find a house of a customer (side job), etc...I want to be able to depend on my gps. It's not a big deal for me now, but I can see where it will be later on.

Other than this little issue, I am happy with going from the iPhone to the Captivate.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 10:52 AM   #51
|MaguS|

No I don't think a firmware update will fix the issue. Yes the device is a top tier device but it lacks quality gps that is to be expected.
Old 01-31-11, 10:56 AM   #52
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Is the captivate not a "top tier device"? A firware update won't fix that problem? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to see what kind of decision I'm going to make about this captivate. I don't use my gps right now, but when me and the fam go on trips, I have to find a house of a customer (side job), etc...I want to be able to depend on my gps. It's not a big deal for me now, but I can see where it will be later on.

Other than this little issue, I am happy with going from the iPhone to the Captivate.
Captivate is "top tier device" with issues. I had Captivate for few days after I seen how bad the GPS is I sold it to the next person.

Magus is right, I don't think anything will be able to fix the GPS, to be on the same quality level of other devices. They tried software updates, there is software tweaks that slightly improve it, but still lacks behind my 2 year old Fuze.

my fuze with google maps would show me right on the HW, but captivate would be jumping all over the place, sometimes It would show me on the HW, sometimes it would show my location 400 feet in a field.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 11:26 AM   #53
betterdan

Yep, I've had this Vibrant since they came out and it has had a couple firmware updates and the GPS is still crappy. It seems like it got a little better but when you start out with crap, a little better doesn't make it anything but a little better crap.
The reason I have stuck with the stock rom is the rest of the phone is great, especially now with wifi calling, but I know that no custom rom will fix the GPS so why bother?
Old 01-31-11, 05:45 PM   #54
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Oh blow it out your ass. ATT has a drop call rate just shy of verizon and lower then the other two biggest carriers. Let alot the fact that our 3G is as fast as other carriers "4G" (ATT has upgraded 100% of the network to HSDPA+) with a LARGE LTE rollout coming summer.

Yes some areas might be lacking good coverage but all carriers have that (tons of complaints that verizon lacks coverage in north MN) .
ATT sucks. Only had problems with them.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 05:48 PM   #55
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
ATT sucks. Only had problems with them.
You have problems with everyone and everything...
Old 01-31-11, 06:30 PM   #56
CaptnStubing

Quote:
You have problems with everyone and everything...
No just ATT & liberalism. I presume they are run by liberals.

CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-11, 10:19 PM   #57
Bearclaw

Old 02-13-11, 03:22 AM   #58
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

ATT really knows how to piss of their customers

Atrix is available for preorder BUT...

1)Smartphone Personal service is not "compatible" with atrix, so they force you to give up your unlimited data plan.

2) messaging 200 service also disappeared. So no I have a choice to choose messaging 1000 for more per month, or no messaging service and pay 20 cents per message. usually i send out 100-150 messages per month. at 20 cents per message that is $20-30 with no messaging plan.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 10:25 AM   #59
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

1)Smartphone Personal service is not "compatible" with atrix, so they force you to give up your unlimited data plan.

2) messaging 200 service also disappeared. So no I have a choice to choose messaging 1000 for more per month, or no messaging service and pay 20 cents per message. usually i send out 100-150 messages per month. at 20 cents per message that is $20-30 with no messaging plan.
this is why my ipod touch does my smartphone duties. i'm so sick of little price increases here and there or plan changes that force me to pay for features i dont use.

eat me VZW
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 10:36 AM   #60
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

Damn, that sucks. Are you going through with it? I'd wait, and go to a third party retailer, and see if they will do it and still keep your unlimited data plan.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote