Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-11, 11:59 AM   #1
Deanjo

Default Isn't it time to remove the 2 screen restriction?

Hey Nvidia,

Isn't it time that configurations with >= 3 screens gets addressed in linux. It seems silly to restrict proper 3+ screen support to Quadro cards in linux while in windows multi monitor configs can easily and properly done with consumer class cards. It is disappointing that a $150 Quadro card can do it properly but a $1000 dollar dual GTX-580 setup is restricted to two screens.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 09:52 AM   #2
cheechr1

Default Re: Isn't it time to remove the 2 screen restriction?

+1 on this. Ive got 3 GTX 480 and I should be able to hook up at least a triple monitor setup. SLI support would be nice as well. Seems like the Nvidia driver team is falling really far behind in support in Linux..... Not really fair to force us to use M$ for this kind of funcionality. I dont understand why they don't bite the bullet and get us some better support then they wont have five hundred threads all related to the same issues (multiple displays, optimus, overclocking, Fermi SLI, reliable VDPAU). Please help us out or release the source so we can help ourselves. Thanks NVIDIA Team.
cheechr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-11, 06:22 PM   #3
Deanjo

Well SLi / overclocking / 3D isn't so important in linux as the last commercial game for linux was over 3 years ago and even that was based on an old iD Tech engine. Pretty much any current card can play those games fine on a single card. The multi monitor however is getting to be a fairly common setup for even home users. It isn't like a monitor costs $500 dollars nowdays. You can pick up 3 x 24" monitors for about $600 now days. I'm just asking for a basica capability that has been available on other OS's for years now on consumer cards.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 08:57 PM   #4
mooninite

AMD supports Eyefinity in Linux, so I would say yes.

If someone knows an OEM contact they need to push the right button inside NVIDIA to enable this. (and dump TwinView for XRandR 1.2+)
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 03:24 PM   #5
AireTamStrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
AMD supports Eyefinity in Linux, so I would say yes.

If someone knows an OEM contact they need to push the right button inside NVIDIA to enable this. (and dump TwinView for XRandR 1.2+)
TwinView for RandR? More like have RandR control TwinView. And even if it "replaced" TwinView configurations, you still have multi-GPU woes with X.

I have a triple-screen setup using a GTX470 and a GTX465, what exactly is this thread about? Are you talking about TwinView? That would be the uber of uber. If an NVIDIA GPU with 6 mini HDMI ports on it came out, I'd be all over it even if it cost $800 (hear me, NVIDIA?). Or are you referring to something like multi GPU TwinView? If the latter, there are alot of X.org limitations involved (read: Xinerama+Composite/Xinerama+GLX), or would require something like . Thus I pray that Wayland:

0) Gets popular
1) Is capable of merging framebuffers of two GPUs cleanly
2) Doesn't suck to develop for

I've had 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, not to mention single screen setups before. I had 6 CRTs, but garbaged all of them for a pair of good LCDs. I eventually upgraded to have 4 LCDs, and then added an HDTV to the mix. My home built multi monitor stand gave and fell, KOing 4 screens instantly. I just recently recovered to a 3 screen + HDTV setup, and am looking to the the Eyefinity/NVIDIA Surround-esque 3x 6 screen setup for my next upgrade. I hope this is resolved in a future hardware product that doesn't require SLI / etc on the motherboard.
AireTamStrm is offline   Reply With Quote