Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-11, 07:41 AM   #97
adamk75

Default Re: Optimus support for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
Oh goody, conspiracy theories. Rock on!

How 'bout we come back to reality. Where the more likely reason there's no Optimus in Linux is that the graphic stack just isn't up to it. Because it really isn't. Also, Nvidia would probably need to work closely with Intel on this one.
Interesting... If the graphics stack in Linux isn't up to it, why does it work with laptops that support switching between AMD and Intel GPUs?

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 08:32 AM   #98
towo|

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75 View Post
Interesting... If the graphics stack in Linux isn't up to it, why does it work with laptops that support switching between AMD and Intel GPUs?

Adam
Because it's only working with the OSS drivers?
towo| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 01:16 PM   #99
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamk75 View Post
Because on those, each of the GPUs has physical outputs. With Optimus some do, but some don't.

Also, the point of Optimus is not switching the GPUs. It's to have *both* GPUs at the same time - the smaller one drawing the desktop and lightweight apps, and at the same time the large one handling heavy duty apps such as games/3d modelling apps/etc.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 02:05 PM   #100
maxtothemax

Well, the good news is that the Nouveau devs are probably going to do the work of fixing the graphics stack for them.
maxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 07:47 AM   #101
grozni

Can someone please point me where is nvidia gpu chip inside my netbook, I want to eat it. I can't believe that I bought VX6 Lamborghini netbook paid 600EU and I can't use full potential of gpu.
grozni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 08:16 AM   #102
DanielSBuus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grozni View Post
Can someone please point me where is nvidia gpu chip inside my netbook, I want to eat it. I can't believe that I bought VX6 Lamborghini netbook paid 600EU and I can't use full potential of gpu.
Don't eat it! It'll slowly drain your energy, and you will benefit none from it!
DanielSBuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 11:50 PM   #103
faleure

I, like many people here, have registered on this website exclusively to voice that I will never, ever, ever buy any nVidia product again.

I am an indie game developer and was hoping to move one of my products outside of the windows only realm. While it is still possible to do so, any serious hope to implement a graphic-intensive application using some garbage intel onboard gpu is out of the question.

Despite my bad experience with ATI, I will honestly buy only ATI from now on.

nVidia -- you're a horrible company.
faleure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 05:59 AM   #104
coin-op-console

While I don't have plans to upgrade my notebook with g210 anytime soon. This news of no optimus support is not good. I hope nvidia comes with a solution to this.
coin-op-console is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-11, 08:53 AM   #105
hobbystas

Ok fellows, it's been almost a year since I've bought my asus n61 and no progress from nvidia so far on the optimous and linux matter. I have to say that i'm getting very upset and i'm starting to think about changing my graphics card, since i actually like the rest of "ingredients" on my laptop. Does anybody have a clue if it is possible to replace the optimus card with an other simple non-hybrid or what so ever dedicated graphic card? (i'll probably go for an ati as an act to show my dissatisfaction for nvidia). How is this thing (optimus) actually build? Is there any white paper or specification paper or blueprints or whatever available?

Have a nice day people, you to nvidia
hobbystas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 07:19 PM   #106
DanielSBuus

Actually, I'm buying neither AMD nor nVidia. Having recently stuffed an SSD into an Intel laptop, everything is fairly dandy without need to upgrade to anything for the time being. Extra graphics power will be sugar on top, and judging from the Sandy Bridge reviews, Intel will provide just that, for everyone So, next laptop is gonna be pure intel without this needless power consuming 3rd party crappa.
DanielSBuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 11:35 PM   #107
pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgorosito View Post
Guys quick question, so there's no way to use the Nvidia GT 335m card that comes with Alienware m11x R2 on Xorg server? Does anybody know if its there any other X system that makes it possible?
I have the exact same laptop. As far as I have tried, I can run Xorg using the nvidia binary driver if I specify the BusID in xorg.conf. But You just don't see anything on the actual screen, since the Intel GPU still "has" the screen/framebuffer.
ION 512MB RAM (Acer Revo)
GTX 460 1G RAM x 2
GeForce GT 335M (Alienware M11X R2)
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 01:51 PM   #108
5h1mmy

Hey Guys,
As I'm currently looking for a new 13" Notebook with a long battery live I found the new Asus U36JC - unfortunatley it has a nvidia gpu in it and as I intenting to use Linux I don't want to buy a laptop where I can't use a important Part of it correctly.
Any advises from you for a other laptop that can compeet with the Asus ?
(it should have a 13" display (prefered non glare) and I want to have the possibility to watch HD videos on it)
5h1mmy is offline   Reply With Quote