Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-11, 11:19 AM   #1
Redeemed

Default Remote Access...

Hey ya'll...

If I wanted to access my parents' computer remotely to troubleshoot and perform maintenance on it- how'd I go about doing that? I know how to do via a local network, but over an internet connection I'm not sure how to do it.

Right now I'm using the free trial period for logmein, but don't want to have to pay for it once the trial time is up.

If it's not a huge hassle to setup, I'd like to do the same for each of my family member's computers. Sucks because right now I can't help them with any issues they may have except attempting to walk them through it over the phone or via skype. Just doing the stuff for them would be much easier and they'd prefer that anyway.

Thanks ya'll!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 01:25 PM   #2
newparad1gm

Default Re: Remote Access...

You could use Window's built-in Remote Desktop to connect to their computers, but unfortunately that requires their computers to have Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate, Windows Vista Business/Ult, or WinXP Pro. Only the host requires this though, Win7 HP can connect as a remote desktop client. There are hacks out there that enable Windows 7 Home Premium computers to be the remote desktop host though, but I'm not sure how much tomfoolery that requires.

You could also check out TeamViewer: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
or UltraVNC: http://www.uvnc.com/
Intel Core i7 3930K | Asus X79 Sabertooth | 4x4 GB G.Skill RipJaw PC3-12800 | 2x EVGA NVIDIA GTX TITAN Signature 6GB SLI | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD | 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda RAID 0 | LG BD-ROM | Cyber Acoustics CA3001WB 2.1 Speakers | SeaSonic 1250W PSU | 3x Acer GD235HZ 23.6in 120Hz | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Windows 8 Pro x64 | NVIDIA 3DVision SURROUND

CRIMSON DYNAMO:
Intel Core i7 2600K | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H | 2x4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 | XFX AMD R9 290X 4GB | Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD | 2x250GB RAID 0 | Samsung BD-ROM | ABS SL 1050W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Antec 900 ATX | Windows 8 Pro x64

Sailor Jupiter (HTPC):
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 | ZOTAC Geforce 9300 | 2x2 GB OCZ Fatal1ty PC2-8500 | WD 1TB | Hitachi 2TB External | MediaSonic HFR2-SU3S2 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 1+0 | LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-ROM | FSP 150W PSU | Toshiba 42" REGZA 1080p HDTV | Foxconn RS233 mini-ITX | Windows 7 Pro x86
newparad1gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 01:35 PM   #3
Rigel4
Peace

Remote desktop will only work if you have the following conditions:

1. Their router has a fixed IP

2. Their router supports port forwarding. the default port is 3389

or

3. Their router supports VPN'S

if you have not met these conditions the cheapest remote software i know about is "Remote PC".

https://www.remotepc.net/remotepc/jsp/registration.jsp

$4.95 per month

requires user interaction on remote pc though

Edit:Just remembered about "Remote Assistance"

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb457004.aspx
Rigel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 01:53 PM   #4
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by newparad1gm View Post
You could use Window's built-in Remote Desktop to connect to their computers, but unfortunately that requires their computers to have Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate, Windows Vista Business/Ult, or WinXP Pro. Only the host requires this though, Win7 HP can connect as a remote desktop client. There are hacks out there that enable Windows 7 Home Premium computers to be the remote desktop host though, but I'm not sure how much tomfoolery that requires.

You could also check out TeamViewer: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx
or UltraVNC: http://www.uvnc.com/
Thanks.

I'm running 7 Ultimate and my folk's computer has 7 Pro on it. And the built-in Remote Desktop is what I was referring to. I just don't know how to connect to their rig. Like I said, can do it over a LAN- but over an internet connection not too sure how to go about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel4 View Post
Remote desktop will only work if you have the following conditions:

1. Their router has a fixed IP

2. Their router supports port forwarding. the default port is 3389

or

3. Their router supports VPN'S

if you have not met these conditions the cheapest remote software i know about is "Remote PC".

https://www.remotepc.net/remotepc/jsp/registration.jsp

$4.95 per month

requires user interaction on remote pc though
Hmm... I actually set them up with their entire setup- computer (built it for them), home network, file/printer sharing, etc... but can't recall what router they have. I'll see if I can figure that out. Would probably be a good first step.

Now what about their modem or ISP- wont that have a part to play in this?

Oh and thanks ya'll for the help. Really liking Logmein but if I can do the same thing for free- why not?
Old 02-05-11, 01:58 PM   #5
Rigel4
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Thanks.

I'm running 7 Ultimate and my folk's computer has 7 Pro on it. And the built-in Remote Desktop is what I was referring to. I just don't know how to connect to their rig. Like I said, can do it over a LAN- but over an internet connection not too sure how to go about that.

Hmm... I actually set them up with their entire setup- computer (built it for them), home network, file/printer sharing, etc... but can't recall what router they have. I'll see if I can figure that out. Would probably be a good first step.

Now what about their modem or ISP- wont that have a part to play in this?

Oh and thanks ya'll for the help. Really liking Logmein but if I can do the same thing for free- why not?
If they have a modem it won't work. It must be a router, and one that is not too basic.

If you get me a router model type i will post some info on how to do it.

I could get a screen shot off one of ours at work, but it will just be confusing unless you have the same router.
pm if you want to.
Old 02-05-11, 02:16 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
If they have a modem it won't work. It must be a router, and one that is not too basic.

If you get me a router model type i will post some info on how to do it.

I could get a screen shot off one of ours at work, but it will just be confusing unless you have the same router.
pm if you want to.
They have to have a modem- can't connect to the ISP without one. It's a cable modem. Linksys, I believe- not sure of the model number.

Their router is the Netgear WPN824v3. I believe it's bone-stock. Never updated firmware or anything like that.
Old 02-05-11, 02:30 PM   #7
Rigel4
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
They have to have a modem- can't connect to the ISP without one. It's a cable modem. Linksys, I believe- not sure of the model number.

Their router is the Netgear WPN824v3. I believe it's bone-stock. Never updated firmware or anything like that.
Not sure how this will work with an attached modem.

but here is a link to how to set up their router for port forawrding for Remote desktop.

http://portforward.com/english/route...te_Desktop.htm
Old 02-05-11, 02:30 PM   #8
Albo

Actually, a basic logmein (with a pro trial for 2 weeks) works fine.

I have been using it for a year to correct problems for PCs overseas. (family)

If you picked pro, just change it to basic/free version. I haven't payed anything, and its working to this day.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-11, 02:38 PM   #9
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Another vote for team viewer. So easy a caveman could do it
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 02:43 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
Not sure how this will work with an attached modem.

but here is a link to how to set up their router for port forawrding for Remote desktop.

http://portforward.com/english/route...te_Desktop.htm
Yeah- see? If it were only a router they'd not have internet access and I'd be on the same LAN as they are. Instead I'm several hundred miles away wanting to remote access into their computer using Remote Desktop via mine and their internet connection.

I had a hunch doing this over an internet connection would be difficult. The whole thing about their ISP shaking hands with my ISP, their modem playing well with my modem, then dealing with my router in relation to theirs... maybe I'm better off just using logmein.

I guess... what would you recommend? Right now logmein is working great- I actually love the tools and monitoring utilities it provides. Depending on the monthly fee I'm contemplating subscribing however, I just hoped I could use Remote Desktop and do the same for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Actually, a basic logmein (with a pro trial for 2 weeks) works fine.

I have been using it for a year to correct problems for PCs overseas. (family)

If you picked pro, just change it to basic/free version. I haven't payed anything, and its working to this day.
Hmm... I am using the pro trial. Guess I need to research the difference between the pro and basic subscription. If the basic will suffice then I'll likely just go with that.

Thanks again guys. Really do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.
Old 02-05-11, 02:55 PM   #11
Albo

The basic allows everything (one would need), I can log on their PC whenever I want (as long as its online). And its free. I don't even know what Paid would include, because I can do everything I need to in the free version.
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 02:58 PM   #12
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Omg there is nothing complicated about it. If they have a working internet connection and you have a working internet connection there will be no problems. Have your parents download teamviewer, and you download it too. Then both run it, you don't even have to install it if you don't want to. Then just get their info from it and then you have remote access.

There is nothing complex about this...
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote