Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-11, 02:48 PM   #13
Rigel4
Peace

Default Re: Remote Access...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Yeah- see? If it were only a router they'd not have internet access and I'd be on the same LAN as they are. Instead I'm several hundred miles away wanting to remote access into their computer using Remote Desktop via mine and their internet connection.

I had a hunch doing this over an internet connection would be difficult. The whole thing about their ISP shaking hands with my ISP, their modem playing well with my modem, then dealing with my router in relation to theirs... maybe I'm better off just using logmein.

I guess... what would you recommend? Right now logmein is working great- I actually love the tools and monitoring utilities it provides. Depending on the monthly fee I'm contemplating subscribing however, I just hoped I could use Remote Desktop and do the same for free.

Hmm... I am using the pro trial. Guess I need to research the difference between the pro and basic subscription. If the basic will suffice then I'll likely just go with that.

Thanks again guys. Really do appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.
I don't understand why you need a modem , when your parents are behind a router.
the router will conect directly to the isp, and is therefore always on.
you would then either have a dynamic ip address or fixed ip.

its really simple to do port forwarding.
Rigel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 03:27 PM   #14
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
The basic allows everything (one would need), I can log on their PC whenever I want (as long as its online). And its free. I don't even know what Paid would include, because I can do everything I need to in the free version.
Hmm... might go this route then. Still gonna' dig around a bit more regarding Remote Desktop/Remote Access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Omg there is nothing complicated about it. If they have a working internet connection and you have a working internet connection there will be no problems. Have your parents download teamviewer, and you download it too. Then both run it, you don't even have to install it if you don't want to. Then just get their info from it and then you have remote access.

There is nothing complex about this...
I'm doing that now- only with Logmein. Why should I switch over especially if logmein is free and working fine? Pro's/cons in other words.

And using Remote Desktop/Access without a web-based client such as Logmein or teamviewer, that is a bit more difficult as I'd be the one configuring the ports with their router and likely mine. Or so it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigel4 View Post
I don't understand why you need a modem , when your parents are behind a router.

How does the coaxial from the wall connect to the router? The signal coming from the ISP (Cable provider) has to have some way of interfacing with the router. Routers only have your power connector and then RJ-45 connectors. Cable television and internet uses coaxial, not an RJ-45 connection. In essence, if I understand it correctly the Modem is the gateway device to the ISP for the home network.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 03:53 PM   #15
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:

You really don't know what you're talking about at all.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 03:54 PM   #16
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
I'm doing that now- only with Logmein. Why should I switch over especially if logmein is free and working fine? Pro's/cons in other words.
Theres no pros or cons to give you, if you like it then use it. I only recommended it because I like it a lot more than logmein.
Old 02-05-11, 03:58 PM   #17
Rigel4
Peace

Quote:
You really don't know what you're talking about at all.
Explain what i don't know about networking or portforwarding or open open ports.

go:

1:

logmein are those of you who don't know how to configure routers, lmao
Old 02-05-11, 04:07 PM   #18
Redeemed

Quote:
Explain what i don't know about networking or portforwarding or open open ports.

go:

1:

logmein are those of you who don't know how to configure routers, lmao
I think Roadhog said that because of your comment about not needing a modem.

We're not talking Dial-up here, but cable internet. You have to have a cable modem to establish the connection to your cable provider. Same thing with DSL, same with Satellite.

If I were to be visiting my parents right now and I disconnected their modem they'd lose internet connectivity. Connect the router to the cable connection... well, how? Two completely different interfaces. One is coaxial (cable), the other is RJ-45 (ethernet).

The modem, if I understand this all correctly, is the gateway that allows you to connect to the ISP. Without it, you cannot connect.

Now, you could likely get a router with a built in cable modem- but the modem is still present.

Maybe I'm doing a terrible job of explaining myself. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 02-05-11, 04:11 PM   #19
Rigel4
Peace

Quote:
I think Roadhog said that because of your comment about not needing a modem.

We're not talking Dial-up here, but cable internet. You have to have a cable modem to establish the connection to your cable provider. Same thing with DSL, same with Satellite.

If I were to be visiting my parents right now and I disconnected their modem they'd lose internet connectivity. Connect the router to the cable connection... well, how? Two completely different interfaces. One is coaxial (cable), the other is RJ-45 (ethernet).

The modem, if I understand this all correctly, is the gateway that allows you to connect to the ISP. Without it, you cannot connect.

Now, you could likely get a router with a built in cable modem- but the modem is still present.

Maybe I'm doing a terrible job of explaining myself. Wouldn't be the first time.

no problem.

I have never had anything to do with cable.

Therefore Roadhog is right. if not a little rude.

With Adsl the router and modem are combined. (generally)
nvm
bro nomatter

peace
Old 02-05-11, 04:13 PM   #20
Redeemed

Quote:
no problem.

nvm
bro nomatter

peace

Yeah- roadhog can be an abrassive, arrogant ass at times- but he's still a decent enough fellow. Stick around long enough he'll kinda' grow on ya'.

Thanks for the assitance anyways. If I can just use logmein free, I'm gonna' do that. Still want to learn more about Remote Access though- so I' guess I better put my technet subscription to use and do some reading up.

Thanks ya'll!

Old 02-05-11, 04:46 PM   #21
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Quote:
Ummm, no. All internet connections require a modem, whether its Fibre, Cable, DSL, ISDN, or Dial-Up.

Quote:
Routers have ethernet interfaces. There is no ISP that uses straight RJ45. A modems job is to convert the signal from the external network into an ethernet connection which can be used with a router, computer, gaming console or other network device.

Many modems have routers built in, thats probably why you're confused.

Just an FYI redeemed, you dont need to buy ANY software to do this. You can use the built in remote assistence tool that comes with windows or a 3rd party VNC server/client like TightVNC.

What you will need is your parents external IP address. Just have them goto http://whatismyip.com and give you the number.

Since they have a router, you will need to find out their internal IP and get it forwarded. Have them goto Control Panel >> Network & Internet >> Network and Sharing >> Change Adapter Settings >> double click on the interface (whether its local area connection or wireless network connection) >> click status, then have them write down the IPv4 IP address.

Open up the router... (192.168.1.1) login (assuming its default)
USername: admin
Password: admin

or

USername: admin
Password: password

Goto the port forwarding/virtual server connection... and follow the steps form that portforward.com link.

Just fill in the blanks, you the internal port is 3389

Alternatively, you can use TightVNC (which i think is the better choice)...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vnc-tight/

VNC uses port 5900.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 05:39 PM   #22
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
no problem.

nvm
bro nomatter

peace
I have DSL and I use a modem in transparent bridge and I use my router with DD-WRT on it to to PPPOE authentication for my ISP.

Also, read t3hl33td4rg0n's post. He explains it better than I feel like.
Old 02-05-11, 05:42 PM   #23
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:

Yeah- roadhog can be an abrassive, arrogant ass at times- but he's still a decent enough fellow. Stick around long enough he'll kinda' grow on ya'.

Old 02-05-11, 05:43 PM   #24
Rigel4
Peace

Quote:
I have DSL and I use a modem in transparent bridge and I use my router with DD-WRT on it to to PPPOE authentication for my ISP.

Also, read t3hl33td4rg0n's post. He explains it better than I feel like.
fair enough.
All the routers i have ever worked on had a built in modem to connect to isp.

that's the only bit i misunderstood from 'deemed's post.

no worries though. I'm new here and dont want to be sent to the fail bin